• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Red Adept Publishing

LynnM

Registered
Reaction score
There certainly is. But putting paid services, publishing and reviewing under the same name and brand is going to cause some optics issues.

We no longer do book reviews, so that's not an issue. We felt it was a conflict of interest.

LynnM

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with it if done right, and it looks like they are doing it right.

For example, John Jarrold is a well-respected U.K. agent and acts both as a literary agent and edits-for-a-fee, which is something that is often a 'red flag'. He has the same policy: choose one or the other but he won't do both.

So long as there is a clear separation of the business, there isn't a problem. It's only when one can lead to the other that it becomes an ethical issue.

I do agree with Veinglory that it would be much better if the two sides of the business operating under different names, like Red Adept Editing vs Red Adept Publishing.

And as stated above, I do think it should be spelled out more clearly in the FAQ pages with the publishing FAQ mentioning that authors using the paid editing service will not be considered for publication and the editing FAQ saying the same.

I added a new question to the FAQ for our editing services to make it clear.

I really appreciate all of this feedback. Thank you!

LynnM

Registered
Reaction score
Five months have passed since I last posted on this thread, and someone suggested that I come here and post an update. :)

We are releasing our tenth book on April 8.

So we now have a nice catalog.

We have 3 more books coming out before the end of May.

We are still accepting submissions.

The top genres we are looking for at the moment are Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Next in line are Romance/Chick-Lit and Cozy Mystery.

We do accept all genres (with the exception of children's books and erotica). So if your genre isn't on this list, don't worry. We review each submission on its own merit. ;)

I am happy to answer any questions.

Sincerely,
Lynn

LynnM

Registered
Reaction score
Time has flown!

We now have 28 books published through Red Adept and 2 books published through our new erotic romance imprint, Cinnabar Silk.

The big news is that one of our books, Thought I Knew You, hit the New York Times Best Seller List this week.

We are still open to submissions. You can find our guidelines here: http://redadeptpublishing.com/publishing-submission-guidelines/

marielong

New Adult Romance Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marielongauthor.com
I have not published with RA, but that is mainly because I use their editing service, and from what I understand, they don't take on editing clients due to conflict of interest.

I do want to say that their editing service is top-notch. Truly the best value for your money. Lynn and her staff are kind and extremely professional in everything that they do.

Even though I have not published with them before, I would not doubt that they are quite reputable in this field, as well. I cannot speak for their authors, but I would imagine they are quite happy being able to work with such an amazing group of people.

I get Red Adept's newsletters, and they promote their authors' books (both new and old titles) in there often. They also have a section in the newsletter where their editing clients can promote their books, too. They also promote their published authors on social media sites like Facebook. I have purchased one of their authors' paperback books a while back, and the formatting and book cover was very professionally done.

As far as I know, they do not distribute to physical bookstores, as I've not seen any of their books there.

They also have a new Romance/Erotica imprint called Cinnabar Silk.

Not sure this information would be of any use to someone who is trying to publish with them. My only advice is that if you DO intend to publish with them, then DO NOT use their editing service.

Here's the FAQ about their process on their page: http://redadeptpublishing.com/publishing-faq/

LynnM

Registered
Reaction score
Marielong, thank you for the kind words. :)

Red Adept Publishing just had a second book hit the NYT Bestseller List: When You Make It Home, by Claire Ashby. :hooray:

We now have over 50 books published.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I happened upon their site through P&E. ["A publisher" it says there, nothing more.] I cannot find anything here on AW about Red Adept.

RAP looks like a publisher, except that it also looks like an editing service, and yet they sell publishing services. Wait, what?

Their publishing services page lists these categories:

• Submission Guidelines
  • Manuscript Submission
  • Publishing FAQ

-- although the subs page link on the page above doesn't work, and the MS. subs page says:

*Note: If you submit a manuscript for publication, the manuscript automatically becomes ineligible for our paid editing services.

Red Adept Publishing, per LinkedIn, has been around since Feb. 2011.

Has anyone worked with them?

This includes using their publishing services, submitting a MS., and/or anything else.

How RAP caught my eye was via the Red Adept Indie awards, which I had not heard of before. Apparently Red Adept Reviews gave these out, and then RAP started as the owner "morphed" -- her word, not mine -- from being a book reviewer...

( I'd also like to blame credit Piers Anthony, because otherwise "Red Adept" wouldn't have been such a draw to my curiosity. ;b )

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, harumph. It does indeed look like I missed Indexing this one. Will add next update. Thanks!

Jack the Knife

Jack the Knife
Registered
Reaction score
I've published a book with RAP and found it to be a thoroughly professional - and competent! - publisher. The editing process was extensive and the cover art superb. Lynn McNamee, the owner, has a hands-on approach, guides the author every step of the way, and works with him/her to market the book after publication. I recommend RAP, and, in fact, submitted another manuscript to them.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
They lost me at their webdesign.

Really?

Why? Not trying to be snarky, just wondered if you could put your finger on't.

I thought they were neat, and then I began noodling around their site.

One thing I think LynnM ought to add to her site would be the NYT reviews (links preferably) since that would help greatly. It's great that yes indeed, RAP has edited books that hit the NYT bestseller list. Not so great that mention of that is here on AW and not out in the ether for the average person to see.

Modesty is a wonderful thing except when you run a small business. Then extolling your high points is needful.

{ Am I a braggart? I could be. Except I don't quite think so. 8) }

Trust me on this one. There's a reason I broke into some places; it's because I mentioned the editors, authors, and publishers who are really keen on my freelance work. Heck, I've spent several years angling for at least a solid break into the one publisher I actually knew editors at for all that time!

"You're too modest, Mr Holmes."

"I'm really not." { His emphasis faint but noticeable }​

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Things look OK at this place. I like the fact they keep their editing services separate from the publishing business. Their books have better rankings than I usually see for small presses.

The main problem I have is the website. For the love of everything holy someone at RAP needs to change the font color. Red on gray is practically illegible. There's nothing wrong with a white font on a black background. Going over to their imprint Cinnabar Silk, there's more of the red on gray. The font size is bigger, but it's still a PITA to read.

Also, why do they only sell paperbacks on the website? You already have a shopping cart in place, why not make e-books and audiobooks available on your website too?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of them partnering with a specific blog tour company. Does the author have to pay for it? What if the author doesn't like the company and wants to use a different one?

I wonder why they won't take submissions from authors outside the US? That just seems lazy, like someone doesn't want to deal with extra tax paperwork.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Well, harumph. It does indeed look like I missed Indexing this one. Will add next update. Thanks!

Belated thanks, Caopaux!

{ a few moments pass }

Well... looks like I did reply to this in Oct. 2015. [Note to self: This is why you keep reading the thread before replying.] The thank you still stands. Thanks to everyone who merged this thread with the original thread too. I'd a hard time in '15 finding that R. A. Pub thread.

I also appreciate yesterday's poster updating us with the latest. 8)

Last edited:

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually care that much about web design, but that red font on the FAQ page is hard to read. I may send them a manuscript sooner or later, but noticed the last thread on here was 2014. They're still around, so I'm guessing that is a good sign, right?

Threaver

Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually care that much about web design, but that red font on the FAQ page is hard to read.

I recently submitted to Red Adept Publishing and was researching them and found this thread. They must have been listening to the feed back here and updated their website. It looks really professional now, and no red font.

fornickels

Registered
Reaction score
I just received a call from Lynn out of the blue (I'd submitted my MS awhile back). She's really personable and definitely takes the time to explain every point in the contract. I've been offered a contract and will probably get my hands on it by next week, she said. But it all seemed pretty standard. I'm really excited. One great thing they offer, every new author is assigned a mentor, which is another established author with RAP. I'm so new to this and even though I have done my research, the idea of a mentor was really enticing. They can help walk me through any questions or concerns I have, but if I ever want to speak to Lynn herself, I'm always welcome to do so. I'll keep you updated with how everything goes.

Last edited:

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I attended a webinar this weekend and heard of this press. After checking out their website (very nice btw) I came here and read the thread.

Since most of the posts are older I thought I'd put in a few cents' worth on what's "new" with these folks. They now have a few NYT and USA today bestsellers and also have a fair amount of audiobooks listed. The covers are very nice and they've been around over five years since this thread was started (I know that doesn't mean diddly, I was with Loose Id & the late and not exactly lamented Ellora's Cave).

There did not seem to be any direct link/promo for their editing service on the publishing site apart from a mention in the FAQs, so that's still a good sign.

Last edited:

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They took all the feedback about the web site, no more red font, easy to read. lol. No link to editing services like Barbara Sheridan said, with the same division of services as mentioned throughout the thread.

Just subbed my MS to them, I will come back and post when/if something happens!