• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mary Kole Editorial

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've poked around the forum trying to see if anyone has used Mary Kole's editing services now that she's gone into that business, but I can't seem to find any feedback on it. I've been considering for awhile paying to have her look at my work (yes, I've already been making wonderful use of beta readers and forums at QT under another penname, but I'm working on a R/R and really want it to go right). I like the idea of Mary Kole because I've followed her blog for a few years now and feel like I could trust her opinion. BUT, her prices have gone sharply upward since I started saving to do it, and I just wanted to see if anyone here had any feedback. Has anyone used her services who could provide me with some feedback? Or has anyone worked with a similar freelance editor (with credentials that instill confidence as with MK) that I should check out?

Thank you so much!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read her book. I suspect she would do a great job of editing, and I'm not surprised that she would be expensive.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat: Yes, I've always liked her approach--very functional, which is one reason why I imagine she would provide some really useful feedback.

Also, I've of course read the testimonials on her website, which are obviously fantastic (or she wouldn't have posted them!)...I'm hoping for some more behind the scenes, unfiltered feedback.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't worked with Mary in a freelance editorial role, but I did work with her when she was an agent. We had an R&R situation on one of my past manuscripts. I spoke to her on the phone and she offered great feedback. So while I can't attest to her in-dept, paid editing services, I can say that she's great at identifying the core truth of a manuscript, and really helped me bring that book to the next level. In the end she rejected, but I would've loved to have her as my agent. If I was going to use a freelance editor, she would be at the top of my list.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Great editors are pricy. It's a time consuming and hard-won skill, after all. A couple of the editors I'm considering for a self-publishing venture charge between $90 and $200 per hour, and that will be easily my biggest expense. Along with the cover design, it will also be the most beneficial element of preparation.

I'm always happy to bookmark the site of another great new-to-me editor.