FIXED: DOCX converted to DOC scrambled as email attachment

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
On my old computer with Windows 7, I could email files converted from DOCX to DOC with no problem--the attached file looked normal when opened.

Now I have Windows 8 and Word for Home and Student 2013. I can convert from DOCX to DOC with no problem. The DOC file looks normal when I open it in Word, but when I attach the converted DOC file to an email and open the attachment, the attached file has a page of gibberish added at the beginning like this: ÐÏࡱá and the format is scrambled.

Anybody know how this can be corrected by someone with limited program knowledge?

ETA: Word version.

Last edited:

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Hmm...good question, Matera.

When I hit the attachment symbol, a screen identifies the file type as "Doc file" (no version shown). But when the document opens, it says "WordPad" at the top of the screen.

I wonder if there's some way to tell the system to open Word attachments in Word?

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Matera's comment gave me the clue. I went to my default program settings and found WordPad was set as the program to open DOC files. I changed the default to WORD, and now it opens correctly. Thanks Matera.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who doesn't love a happy ending?

Maryn, with a contented sigh