Video software

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
After years of still photography I'm just starting to shoot some video. I'm using Windows Movie Maker but I'm sure there is a better program for video editing and production. Does anyone have any suggestions for different software and why do you like it?

Thanks, jeff

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend Adobe Premier Pro or After Effects. Both very capable video editors. The only bad thing about Adobe anymore, well imo, is the whole cloud based thing. If you're fine with a subscription based model though, these really are great programs and very powerful. I own the entire suite before they went to CC (Cloud) and there's nothing you can't do with them if you're willing to learn. Usually if you buy it, they offer Lynda.com tuts for free ... usually.

Deleted member 42

If you're shooting hours of digital video at a time and can afford the RAM and hard drives, absolutely, Adobe Premiere for the actual editing and After Effects for, well, production effects like masking etc. are very very good.

They're also pricey and there's a fairly steep learning curve. I'd suggest you look for a local community college with a digital media lab and classes, as a way to get your money's worth, and save yourself time and headaches.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I like Final Cut, but haven't used it in a few years so there may be better products out now. It used to be quite reasonably priced and it has a pretty reasonable learning curve (but then again, I came to it after using Avid in a professional setting, so maybe that's just my experience).

Anyhow, it's a powerful little bundle, often used by professionals and semi-professionals, and it's common enough you can probably find a community center class on it.

Deleted member 42

I'm exceedingly fond of the Mac OS X version of Final Cut Pro, but I have no experience with the Windows version.

I note that all of these—Final Cut, and all the Adobe products—are available for a free 30 day trial.