• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Aponte Literary

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Thanks Profen4. Where did you find the info on their preferences? I managed to miss it when navigating their site.

Personal experience, actually. I spoke to Ms. Aponte and she said she was interested in some YA.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ah, I see. Hopefully if it isn't to Ms Lea's tastes she might pass it on to Ms Aponte, then. *crosses fingers*

Thanks for saying!

codeorange

Some of my friends are fictional.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
runwiththeorange.wordpress.com
Good Morning,

I pasted the following from the Aponte Literary website--We accept submissions of any genre of mainstream fiction and non-fiction, but we especially seek women’s novels, historical novels, supernatural and paranormal fiction, fantasy novels, political and science thrillers. In non-fiction we’ll look at any genre with commercial potential. What we consider most important, and certainly more important than genre, is that the writing be strong and fresh.

EMaree--I sent Victoria Lea an email. Below are the answers to your questions.

Q. Do you show the query and sample pages to Natalia if you are going to pass?
A. Natalia and I both receive all queries, share thoughts and ideas and decide if we want to move forward.

Q. Do you take YA?
A. Yes. As the website says, Natalia and I both love a variety of genres. If in doubt, SEND IT!

I hope this helps.

whitebuffalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Code Orange for the info. I just sent sent a query and pasted the sample into the body of my email. It is a YA. Wish me luck!

salmadeera

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! On Saturday, I got a full request from Natalia after sending a query the day before.

Fingers crossed!!

nikkidj

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query with the first 50 pages embedded in the email on December 3. Natalia called me later that day, requesting the full. That led to several emails back and forth, a discussion with one of her authors, and an offer of representation, which I have subsequently accepted. She has been nothing but professional throughout this entire process, and the author with whom I spoke had nothing but good things to say about her. I'm thrilled to begin working with Natalia, and feel lucky to have signed with such an amazing agent.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
I sent a query with the first 50 pages embedded in the email on December 3. Natalia called me later that day, requesting the full. That led to several emails back and forth, a discussion with one of her authors, and an offer of representation, which I have subsequently accepted. She has been nothing but professional throughout this entire process, and the author with whom I spoke had nothing but good things to say about her. I'm thrilled to begin working with Natalia, and feel lucky to have signed with such an amazing agent.

Congratulations!

Natalia has my full manuscript. Still I'm waiting to hear and hoping for the best.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score

Way to go! Natalia seems like someone who just really knows her stuff. Keep us posted when you go on submission!

Last edited by a moderator:

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
Update:

Queried: 28Oct2012 (three chapters attached)
Full requested: 13NOV2012
Rec'd email: 16Jan2013
Phone call: 22Jan2013

Great conversation with Natalia! She asked for a revise & resubmit to turn my romantic mystery into a thriller. I agreed and she gave me wonderful guidance.

Excited!

Eldrey

Author, Editor, Coach
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ellendreyer.com
Hello all,

Just joined Absolute Write. I received an enthusiastic response on my historical fiction YA manuscript from Victoria Lea and am excited about our upcoming phone conversation.
Does anyone already working with her have feedback as to the range of her connections among editors in NY publishing? I ask because I noticed she's based in Lexington KY.
Would appreciate any relevant input from YA authors working with Victoria.
Thanks!
Ellen Dreyer
www.ellendreyer.com

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just joined Absolute Write. I received an enthusiastic response on my historical fiction YA manuscript from Victoria Lea and am excited about our upcoming phone conversation.
Does anyone already working with her have feedback as to the range of her connections among editors in NY publishing? I ask because I noticed she's based in Lexington KY.
Would appreciate any relevant input from YA authors working with Victoria.
Thanks!
Ellen Dreyer
www.ellendreyer.com

Hi, Ellen! I don't have any direct experience with Ms. Lea, but my agent lives in Denver, and I've been more than happy with her representation. As you said, it's more about who you know than where you live.

You might do a little digging and research Ms. Lea's deals (or those of the principal at her agency, since she hasn't been an agent for as long). If Aponte Literary is selling manuscripts to editors and imprints you'd like to work with, then I wouldn't see their geographical location as a shortcoming at all.

Best of luck!

Eldrey

Author, Editor, Coach
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ellendreyer.com
Hi, Ellen! I don't have any direct experience with Ms. Lea, but my agent lives in Denver, and I've been more than happy with her representation. As you said, it's more about who you know than where you live.

You might do a little digging and research Ms. Lea's deals (or those of the principal at her agency, since she hasn't been an agent for as long). If Aponte Literary is selling manuscripts to editors and imprints you'd like to work with, then I wouldn't see their geographical location as a shortcoming at all.

Best of luck!

Hi Krista! Thanks so much for replying. I agree that in the internet age, location isn't as important as connections. I will try to do some digging. Thanks again,.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Ms. Lea is new(ish) but she works with Ms. Aponte who was an editor at Macmillan and has a number of sales to major presses on Publishers Marketplace. Good luck.

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I read this whole thread and didn't notice anything about this under their submission guidelines:

"Also please write 3 to 5 paragraphs (at least) of “cover copy” that tells us a bit about the book."

Are they referring to a synopsis basically?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Never heard of this agency, but I like what I see. Just sent a query + 50 pages today.

Good luck, Popgun. I had very limited experience with Ms. Aponte, but it was enough that I formed a very high opinion of her. I think you'll be in very good hands with her or Ms. Lea.

Keep us posted!

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I read this whole thread and didn't notice anything about this under their submission guidelines:

"Also please write 3 to 5 paragraphs (at least) of “cover copy” that tells us a bit about the book."

Are they referring to a synopsis basically?

More like a book blurb, playground_king, what you'd find as a teaser on the back of a book.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Good luck, Popgun. I had very limited experience with Ms. Aponte, but it was enough that I formed a very high opinion of her. I think you'll be in very good hands with her or Ms. Lea.

Keep us posted!

Thanks, Profen4. My writing is an unusual mash-up of sci-fi, supernatural horror and action/adventure that agents don't seem to know what to do with - it's just a little too "out there" for most of them. Hopefully, Ms. Aponte will have some editors in mind :)

Last edited:

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with this agency? I tried getting onto their website today, but it came up with 'page not found'. Is this temporary or are they going through a change or something?