FIXED: Query Tracker telling me incorrectly that my browser is outdated

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Ever since I got a new computer with Windows 8, I've had a problem with Query Tracker. It won't let me in and flashes up a notice saying I'm using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. But I'm not--IE11 comes up when I check the version. My old computer, with Windows Vista and IE9 still opens Query Tracker with no problem.

The message also says "you may have your browser set to "Compatibility Mode" which causes it to act like an older version. You'll have to turn it off" and shows a symbol to look for in the address bar that indicates compatibility mode is switched on. However, the symbol doesn't show in the address bar.

So, I'm using a newer version of IE than before, but being told it's outdated. The problem occurs only with Query Tracker. Any idea why this is happening?

I couldn't figure out how to post a screenshot here of the Query Tracker message, but I have one if someone can tell me how to post it.

Thanks for any help. (I'm technologically impaired, so need simply worded advice.)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You would need to upload the screenshot to a photo hosting website such as Flickr or Photobucket, then copy the link to the photo, then come back here and post the link.

However, I don't think you need to do that. I think you've described the problem well enough.

I can't help since I don't know QT or Windows 8. Maybe someone else can.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
There are two likely possibilities:

1. Your browser is lying to the website about what it is. IE11 doesn't have that "compatibility mode" button because you aren't supposed to be using the idiotic "compatibility mode" anymore . . . but it's still available as a hidden feature accessible through the Settings area of the browser. http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-compatibility-view-in-internet-explorer-11-ie11/ has some instructions on how to find and change the setting.

2. If the setting seems to be in the "off" position, most likely Query Tracker has a bad browser-sniffing script that needs to be updated (or, more likely, scrapped), and should be notified that their site is broken.

The less likely possibilities involve third-party programs (malware or otherwise) messing up your browser's User-Agent string (which is what the site uses to tell what browser is currently pointed at it), or the Query Tracker people being abysmally stupid instead of just behind the times.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on IE11 and I visit QT regularly without problem.

Do you have the menu strip showing? Look in "Tools -> Compatibility View Settings."

I added QueryTracker.net to my Compatibility View list and immediately started getting that message. Removed it and the message went away.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Thanks everyone. Angry Guy's suggestion worked. I went to "Compatibility View Settings" and discovered it was set to show all websites in compatibility mode. I unchecked the choice, and now can access QT. (Didn't know there was such a choice available until now.)