Publishing Timeline

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
I have a novel I am looking to send out to agents. If I were to get my work picked up for representation and if all went well get a sale, what's an approximate timeline for all of this? As well, what kind of physical footwork is expected of a writer, in terms of having meetings with agents/publishers?

I'm not in any particular hurry, as I am starting college this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
For exactly what? From scratch to book on a shelf. Well, let's just say people made it their life's goal to get published and died of old age. Probably--I'm joking. Maybe...

To get an agent? 5mins to several years.
Agent submits? 5mins to several years.
Working with editor? 5mins to several years.
Publisher putting out the book? Several months to several years.

If it's a sparkling good book, pitched to the right agent, pitched to the right editor, with minimal revisions and edits needed, and the presses are warmed up, maybe a year or two.

YMMV.

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
For us (my wife and I) it varies all over.

Our best time was a quarter hour from submission to sale.

The most recent story published was about three and a half years.

The next thing coming out was pitched in 2011, turned in in 2012, advance paid in 2013, and will hit paper early to mid-2015.

The big thing is to not stop writing while you are waiting for results. Publishing is like using a pipeline, the pipe has to fill up before anything comes out the end.

Regards,
Kevin

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
It depends! I was lucky - the book I have coming out with Dreamspinner, I started writing in May 2013. It was accepted in Feb this year and is due for release this December.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
it varies.

It can take years to get an agent and years for that agent to sell that book. Or they might not sell that book at all, but it will be the next one, or the one after that.

And then, assuming a publisher buys it, it can take a couple of years before you see it in print.

Or, you can bag an agent this afternoon and they can sell your book overnight and the publisher rushes it to fill a hole in their catalogue.

Who can tell.

Sorry, there is no straightforward answer.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
It's too variable to say. So much of it is out of your control that you can't make plans and assumptions based in it. Learn to go with the flow and make the plans you can control flexible enough to fit around the rest. It depends a lot on your genre and the types of publishers you'd be working with.

I couldn't advise about meetings. I live in the UK and all the publishers I've worked with have been in the US, so I've never even spoken on the phone to them, never mind met them in person.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Each publisher is probably different, but for mine, from the day I get a contract to release is somewhere between 10 and 14 months. The only exception was with a sequel where they wanted to get part II out as near to Part I as possible and that took six months from contract.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I started writing my first book in April of 2010 and began querying in June of the same year. (It wasn't ready.) I found an agent who requested revisions in August and spent a year on R&Rs. She ended up passing. I submitted the revised ms to a publisher in October of 2011 and signed the contract in December of 2011. It was published October of 2012. So about two and a half years for my first book.

Every person will have their own story.

Publishing does take time, though. The general advice is to start your next book when you finish the last.

Good luck!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I have a novel I am looking to send out to agents. If I were to get my work picked up for representation and if all went well get a sale, what's an approximate timeline for all of this? As well, what kind of physical footwork is expected of a writer, in terms of having meetings with agents/publishers?

I'm not in any particular hurry, as I am starting college this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Absolutely no physical foot work. No one wants to meet you, unless you're already selling gazillions of books and are some kind of mega star. Everything is by snail mail or email. If you live in the USA and they live in the USA they might call you.

I'm like Jeroba and haven't tried the agent search, at this stage. My personal experience with submitting direct to small (but well known and well respected) publishers is a three month wait, and then a year to publication for my first book (and another year to print publication as it came out in ebook first.) And then 11 days until acceptance for my second book, and nine months from acceptance to planned release date.

From what I know going through an agent takes much longer. Agents can at times be fast to respond to something they love the sound of, but then you still have to go through the process of them finding a publisher.

And yes it's really too variable for anyone to tell you anything meaningful, but I thought I should answer your question about meeting agents since no one else had yet. (As far as I know it won't happen, unless your blow up in a very unusual way. ) I live in New Zealand and most of what I have published has always been with US publishers I contacted via email (and one UK publisher.)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'll take on your question with some personal knowledge. I got picked up by an agent in an unusual fashion, without tons of querying. The agent had a particular new editor in mind when she took it on. So your scenario, while not common, could happen. So, what then?

My wait for an agency agreement took about two months. The agent was working to sell the book while I was waiting, so I didn't really notice. A formal offer on the book (with multiple discussions in the middle) happened four months after the first initial discussion with the editor. It was an email to the agent with the potential terms. Then negotiation ensued while the terms were countered for more money, better promo, etc. We were lucky in that in the meantime, another publisher had made an offer. Once the terms were finalized, the actual contract arrived about five months later. However, once again, as soon as a verbal/email acceptance was made, everything started moving forward as though a signed written contract was done. That's pretty common in the industry.

The publisher decided to add the book to the launch of a new imprint, so things moved unusually quick after that. We had an edit letter about three months later. We had two weeks to complete a near full rewrite of portions of the book. The copyedits arrived about six weeks later and again, we had two weeks to make corrections. Same thing with galleys. Six weeks and then two weeks to proof read the final copy. The cover and back copy and such were happening in the meantime, so that the final book hit the shelf in about eight months.

I don't recommend this pace for major publishers. It's actually pretty daunting to fit it into your life because you have to create on command. That takes practice. Two weeks slips by so amazingly fast. I much preferred the second book's schedule, when I had four weeks to make any major edits.

I was fortunate in that my first book, with a small indie publisher, was also on a fast timeline, so at least I had a concept of what was coming from the Big 5 pub.

The epresses I've worked are generally missing the galley level of edits. It's also become easier to edit with email and Track Changes in Word than the paper edits I got when I started. :)

So, figure in the best case no less then eight months and possibly up to sixteen months from acceptance by an agent to release. It can also happen it takes years to get an agent and more years to find the right publisher. It all depends on your book and the market at the moment. Good luck!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously there is no set timeline. Here's how mine went.

First book series: Subbed in Mar 2011 through an open door. Final offer Mar 2012 (signed with agent 2 days before this). Published Feb 2013. Sequel Jan 2014. Third book turned down before imprint shut. Now aiming to Kickstart the third next month with the book to come out May 2015.

New books: Subbed draft to agent Feb 2014. Went on sub end of Jun 2014. Offer 9 days later. Not published until Jan 2016.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I'm like Jeroba and haven't tried the agent search, at this stage. My personal experience with submitting direct to small (but well known and well respected) publishers is a three month wait, and then a year to publication for my first book (and another year to print publication as it came out in ebook first.) And then 11 days until acceptance for my second book, and nine months from acceptance to planned release date.

From what I know going through an agent takes much longer. Agents can at times be fast to respond to something they love the sound of, but then you still have to go through the process of them finding a publisher.

Yes, this.

And I should've mentioned it, sorry. I have tried the agent route (not with the novel I mention in this thread) and yes, it takes a lot longer. Submitting direct to publishers is much, much quicker. Especially if you know who you want and what they want. (I knew I wanted Dreamspinner, for example, and I knew they were doing a lot of stuff with UK authors and UK-based stories so...)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to understand more and more why people go the self-e-publish route on Amazon.

It's the instant gratification thing, and I get that. But at the same time that needs to be weighed up against all the things that a publisher can do for you that you can't do for yourself, or that you lack the resources or knowledge to do - and those things take time.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm beginning to understand more and more why people go the self-e-publish route on Amazon.

Impatience is the wrong reason to go that route though. Honestly, all these timescales sound like ages, yet they go by in a flash. Especially when you have deadlines! ;)

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen people getting deals with the big publishers and having to wait two years to actually see their book in print.

However, don't see it as a timeline of events. Your experience of being a writer isn't going to be the same as anyone else's. Think of it as a journey and enjoy what you're doing. :)