Choosing the right pseudonym

what?

Registered
Reaction score
An author is a brand.

Books are not only read or bought because of their content, cover or blurb, but also because of their author. And authors are attractive not only because they write well, but also because of their image, made up of photographs, biography and – name.

An author writing for a specific target audience might consider adapting their name or choosing a pseudonym to better reflect what their readers seek when they read.

A common practise is changing the author's gender, e.g. female SF writers of the past century writing under male pseudonyms, or male YA writers today publishing under female names.

My question is:

I'm writing fantasy and science fiction action adventure stories with some mild eroticism for a female new adult (i.e. 18 to 28) audience.

As a pseudonym, should I choose what could be a real name (such as Robbie Williams) or what is more obviously a pseudonym but possibly more intriguing (such as Vin Diesel)?

The examples are not the names I am actually thinking about, only quick examples of celebrity names illustrating the type of pseudonym. Please don't discuss the merit of "Vin Diesel".

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just have a minute, but wanted to drop in and say there is a lovely thread a few months old here somewhere that is basically a "share your pen name ideas" and folks will tell you what genre they think it is in. Awesome thread, which helped me rule out several other pen names, all of which sounded romancy or young adult (I'm writing Thrillers).

Pick a real name that is intriguing in its own right?

~ Anna Flint

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, pick a name that you A) will answer to and B) you will still like to be called in 20 years. Yes, some names "more genre" than others, but in the end, it's your NAME, so choose one you like and will answer to if shouted in a crowded hallway.

what?

Registered
Reaction score
Just have a minute, but wanted to drop in and say there is a lovely thread a few months old here somewhere that is basically a "share your pen name ideas" and folks will tell you what genre they think it is in. Awesome thread, which helped me rule out several other pen names, all of which sounded romancy or young adult (I'm writing Thrillers).
Anyone know the link? I can't seem to find this thread... :-(
...choose one you like and will answer to if shouted in a crowded hallway.
Ha, yes. Thank you!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think if your name was actually something like Robbie Williams, or something close to a known celebrity or other writer, you should go by something else. Like maybe R. L. Williams or something to differentiate yourself.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I chose pen names bc my real name is confusing to most people. And it sounds like an old lady name--very staid. I write cont and historical romance under Elise Alden and speculative romance (sci fi and fantasy and dark fairytale twists) under Sienna Bronwyn. Both of these names I liked because of the way they sound and because I think they are beautiful. I want to feel beautiful as an author, god dammit. Oops! Seriously though, I wanted names I felt happy answering to, names I like seeing and writing, and signing off as, and having websites under and generally using for the rest of my writing life. Also, names that *I think* embody romance in different forms.
HTH.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I use two names. They're both my real name. I use E.J. Tett for my YA. And Emma Jane for my romance.

I've since realised using 'Emma Jane' wasn't the brightest idea in the world, as if you search it on Google, well, you get a billion results of a billion different things. So it doesn't really stand out. I just wanted to use my real name and figured it sounded romancey!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but it isn't.

Even if you don't think it is, you might want to double check because it might be similar to someone outside of your genre. This goes double if your name has multiple spellings.

Anyway. I use the initials H. L. On one hand they hide my gender, but mostly they're my real initials and the initials of Hapax Legomenon, so it's a merger of my real and online identities. I've responded to "Hap" as my online identity for like ten years so I don't think that would be a problem for me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the whole "brand' thing is very over emphasized. If your book is good the reader may look at your pen name and buy other books by you. So the pen name should preferably not be ludicrous or hard to remember. But people don't buy books because the author has a cool name. In fact most super popular authors have very bland names.

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
The one piece of advice I received about pen names that actually stuck with me -- not yet sure whether or not it was great advice or just an okay idea -- was to choose a name which will place you near (within a few names) a "big" name in your chosen genre, alphabetically.

So, if you write techno thrillers... choosing a name like "Hannah Crick" would be genius because it would place you, in any library or bookstore (not sure how this works with ebook authors) near Michael Crichton. Anyone looking for his books might just accidentally find you, too, and take a chance.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
I had to go with a pen name because my last name is spelled with an xs. Any time I give my name to a clerk, they ask "is that spelled ck?" "Just an x?" "Just an s?" So I immediately imagine readers asking a bookstore clerk for my name, the clerk asking how it's spelled, and it being spelled wrong. Which would mess up the search.

Picking what name is kinda hard.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I actually attended a workshop at a convention on this topic once. A few of the suggestions were:

1. Choose a name that is easy to write. An example was given of a writer who picked a long traditional name with a middle name--such as Elizabeth Anne Johnson (not the author's real pen name). She hit the NYT list and the publisher paid for a special promotion where autographed books were sold at a chain of stores. The author was taken to a warehouse where she had to sign 12,500 books before the book was shipped. After several DAYS of signing, she finally finished and had to ice down her arm. She later wished she'd picked Liz Johns. Think about it. Then think about conventions where the bestsellers are signing for 3-4 hours, and decide what will be easiest and most memorable, because you'll also be expected to put the fan's name and a little pithy saying about the book or your tagline--called personalized.

2. Keep the book at eye level on the shelf. This isn't as important in the Amazon era, but people do still buy books at book stores, Walmart and other department/grocery stores. Browsers most often look on the shelves from neck to navel, so a debut author can be noticed with less promo.

3. As others have said, choose a name you don't mind hearing a hundred times a day if you hit it big.

4. I don't know if the "one pen name per genre" thing is as important as it used to be. Author branding has allowed an author to have more options. P.C. Cast, for example, writes in YA and adult, and so does James Patterson, without bothering with multiple pen names. I write hunting articles, romance, and horror with the same name. They're totally different audiences. They'll probably never meet and compare notes. :Shrug: I suppose the publisher might have a preference, though.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
An author is a brand.

Books are not only read or bought because of their content, cover or blurb, but also because of their author. And authors are attractive not only because they write well, but also because of their image, made up of photographs, biography and – name.[/I]

Not good books. Good books sell themselves. The authors "name" can be Meh Blahblah and still their book will sell like hotcakes. My two cents.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Not good books. Good books sell themselves. The authors "name" can be Meh Blahblah and still their book will sell like hotcakes. My two cents.

...How many good books have mouldered in obscurity, while FSoG flies off the shelves? Just writing a good book is no guarantee of financial success or sales.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Moldy, Fifty Shades of Grey did incredible things for publishing and reading. And implying it wasn't a good book in the way that you did is veering on breaking our rule that you will respect your fellow writer.

It's fine for you to not like it. But that's different.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
It's against the rules to be critical of the quality of a book?!

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
"Good" has many characteristics. Sheer entertainment is one. Being relatable is another. Quality can made up of these things too along with lots of other things. Get a few into a novel, or possibly even just one, and you've got yourself a good book that will more or less sell itself.

True, some books still do need some bolstering, but that usually comes from reviewers and critics, who get behind a book they feel has merit. Not the author so much.

My two cents of course.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
When I was younger, I was prepared to use my name "Stephanie Southwell" when I published a book. After all, I wanted to see the name I had associated myself with on the cover of a novel in a store.

At this time, I also thought I was going to be single and living alone.

Now I'm with a guy that I've been dating for five years, and once we have the money we will marry. Since I have always *hated* my surname, I am no doubt going to change it to his. My surname reminds me of high school, and that when it was called, everyone who disliked me would stare with devious smiles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my feelings on having *my* name on the cover hasn't changed, but using my real surname has. When recently decided on using "Stephanie Kay", part of me feels disappointed that it isn't ME on the cover, but just some part of ME.

And thus, I'm in this odd predicament, caused by myself.

It's odd that this is all because of what name appears on the cover of my future novel. Part of me believes it's because I'll feel proud, and I'll be able to run around telling other that I succeeded in *something*.

I suppose that even if I use "Stephanie Kay" as my pen name, as long as one flips to the inner back cover and sees my picture, they'll recognize me. XD

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
When I was younger, I was prepared to use my name "Stephanie Southwell" when I published a book. After all, I wanted to see the name I had associated myself with on the cover of a novel in a store.

At this time, I also thought I was going to be single and living alone.

Now I'm with a guy that I've been dating for five years, and once we have the money we will marry. Since I have always *hated* my surname, I am no doubt going to change it to his. My surname reminds me of high school, and that when it was called, everyone who disliked me would stare with devious smiles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my feelings on having *my* name on the cover hasn't changed, but using my real surname has. When recently decided on using "Stephanie Kay", part of me feels disappointed that it isn't ME on the cover, but just some part of ME.

And thus, I'm in this odd predicament, caused by myself.

It's odd that this is all because of what name appears on the cover of my future novel. Part of me believes it's because I'll feel proud, and I'll be able to run around telling other that I succeeded in *something*.

I suppose that even if I use "Stephanie Kay" as my pen name, as long as one flips to the inner back cover and sees my picture, they'll recognize me. XD

I have a well known author friend who uses her married name as one name, her maiden name as a pen name and her nickname growing up as a third pen name. They're all different forms of "her" which makes her happy.

I write with my own name and have considered a pen name using my mother's maiden name (which is far easier to spell than my maiden one.) That will be "me" too. :)

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
Moldy, Fifty Shades of Grey did incredible things for publishing and reading. And implying it wasn't a good book in the way that you did is veering on breaking our rule that you will respect your fellow writer.

It's fine for you to not like it. But that's different.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I love lots of books that are considered "bad" "poorly written" or even better "trash" :D I even like writing such things myself.

I'm with Rechan on this one, it's really strange that we're not allowed to acknowledge that there are varying levels of quality in writing; I don't think there's anything disrespectful in acknowledging that not every author is a great writer. Respecting someone =/= lying to them to prop up their ego.

When I read that rule I assumed it meant what it sounded like: treating others with respect. Treating others with respect does not mean never criticizing them, or acting like everything they do is good.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
"Good" has many characteristics. Sheer entertainment is one. Being relatable is another. Quality can made up of these things too along with lots of other things. Get a few into a novel, or possibly even just one, and you've got yourself a good book that will more or less sell itself.

True, some books still do need some bolstering, but that usually comes from reviewers and critics, who get behind a book they feel has merit. Not the author so much.

My two cents of course.
I'm sorry, I don't buy this. There is opinions, yes. But there also exists quantified, objective traits that make something poorly written. No matter how much you may enjoy it, a book with sentences constructed of incorrect grammar, unless an intentional voice of an uneducated speaker, are simply badly constructed sentences.

For instance: Flat, underdeveloped characters. If this is present, this means the characters were presented poorly. It's an accepted, agreed upon marker of bad writing. The stuff they teach you in writing courses, correct grammar, and so on, those aren't relative and based on individual tastes.

If everything is opinion, then no one can give writing advice because it's all "what I think is good writing", not what is good. No one would be able to edit anyone else because that's just opinion.

If you handed the book in as a class project to a professor and got an F, that's not because the teacher didn't enjoy it, but because it lacked the elements that make up competent writing and storytelling.

Being disrespectful to an author involves ad hominems, putting words in their mouths, harassment, rudeness and hyperbole - the type of behavior that would get you punished on any message board. Pointing out the flaws in a piece of work is not that.

Last edited: