Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Huzzah! Story unstucked and fixed.

Did I miss anything?

*Looks around*

Nope.

Hey, why did I stop eating chocolate bars on Sundays? I feel the need for chocolate.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Is it really that bad? I bet it's not that bad at all.

I only cook when I'm home on break. So it's been like 6 months. I was hungry and there wasn't any food, except for some reason there were two full bags of yellow corn meal, plus it was Thanksgiving, so I threw some stuff in a bowl and tossed it in the oven.

I know the first batch was edible, but I changed the recipe for the others which have not been taste-tested yet. Also, I am very insecure about my cooking skills. XD

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Holy crap!!! I've hit another one of those, "I can't believe this got picked up by an actual publisher!" books. The girl has control of the language and understands basic storytelling. But the characterization? Holy crap, these are the most cliched, overwrought, ridiculous characterizations I have read in a long time. Even some of the Smashwords duds have this beat!

And not only was she picked up by an actual publisher, she has multiple credits! Six books, according to Amazon!

Details?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

Lina Gardiner is the name of the author, and no offense meant to anybody who likes her work. I'm about halfway through the first in her Vampire Hunter series, and I'm just not feeling it. The characterization is clumsy and unconvincing.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Back in Pittsburgh. Purring kitties. Need to take beer out of freezer.

Thinking of buying a Mini.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in Pittsburgh. Purring kitties. Need to take beer out of freezer.

Thinking of buying a Mini.

A local car dealer (as in, maybe two dozen cars, tops) had a little yellow Mini Cooper on sale for years. Always wanted it. When the ex- who was not at the time an ex yet - was looking for a car, she thought about it. I talked her out of it for good reasons, such as she can't drive stick and I'm reasonably sure they aren't the best vehicles in the snow...

But man, I wish I hadn't. I could have traded her for my car when she discovered she couldn't really drive the Mini.

Or else she'd have blown out the transmission trying to test-drive it.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
A local car dealer (as in, maybe two dozen cars, tops) had a little yellow Mini Cooper on sale for years. Always wanted it. When the ex- who was not at the time an ex yet - was looking for a car, she thought about it. I talked her out of it for good reasons, such as she can't drive stick and I'm reasonably sure they aren't the best vehicles in the snow...

But man, I wish I hadn't. I could have traded her for my car when she discovered she couldn't really drive the Mini.

Or else she'd have blown out the transmission trying to test-drive it.

No offense, Boston -- and no offense to anybody else -- but how can you get to be old enough to have children, and not be able to learn to drive a stick? It took me an entire hour, when I was nine years old. Granted, I learned on a tractor, but still. When I was nineteen, my husband showed me how to drive a street vehicle with a stick shift, and it wasn't that different.

It's just not that difficult.

ETA: I should probably add, my neighbor learned to drive a stick shift (on a tractor) when she was FOUR. It can't be difficult if you can teach a four year old to do it.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, want to hear something awesome?

While I was away a close friend of mine started up an in-person crit group in Halifax which I've been really loving, and tonight I'm making notes about entries for the next meeting on the 27th. The awesome part is that some of these gals are so good, it's downright scary (no really, it is kind of intimidating). Critting this shizz doesn't even feel like work because it means I get to read it first! Reason #9474667346743 why I love Halifax.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No offense, Boston -- and no offense to anybody else -- but how can you get to be old enough to have children, and not be able to learn to drive a stick?

I have mentioned she's not an American, right, and grew up in a culture where most people don't drive, at all?

And didn't even get her license until a few years ago when she was here stateside?

:)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I myself didn't learn to drive stick until about four or five years ago, either.

It just wasn't necessary, JC. I think I've been in maybe a handful of cars over the years that came manual, none of which I ever needed to drive. I did, finally, make it a point to learn when I at last had a vehicle to learn in, but that was mostly for the sake of knowing.

I doubt any vehicle I ever buy - at least for practical purposes - will be a manual transmission. They're just too few and far between.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have a co-worker who has a Mini, so I started asking him how he liked his...

...turns out he's the President of the Pgh Mini Club. Hah! They do a winter driving refresher class every year, so we talked about how Minis handle in the winter, and he said he's had no issues. They're best with snow tires, but the all-seasons do fine, too.

My hybrid is dying. I want a fun commuter car that'll fit into my garage.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
It's just not that difficult.

It's not a matter of difficulty. I learned by driving tractor as a kid, too, but didn't have the opportunity to drive a manual street vehicle until I was in my late twenties.

It just wasn't necessary, JC. I think I've been in maybe a handful of cars over the years that came manual, none of which I ever needed to drive. I did, finally, make it a point to learn when I at last had a vehicle to learn in, but that was mostly for the sake of knowing.

Yep. In case of zombies. *nods*

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I learned on a stick because that's all my parents had in terms of cars when I was 17.

Now, they can pry my manual transmission from my cold, stiff hands.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
we talked about how Minis handle in the winter, and he said he's had no issues. They're best with snow tires, but the all-seasons do fine, too.

Well, crap. No I really feel like I should have talked the ex into getting it.

It was even a color I liked.

:e2bummed:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
And I myself didn't learn to drive stick until about four or five years ago, either.

I doubt any vehicle I ever buy - at least for practical purposes - will be a manual transmission. They're just too few and far between.

It's not a matter of difficulty. I learned by driving tractor as a kid, too, but didn't have the opportunity to drive a manual street vehicle until I was in my late twenties.

Yep. In case of zombies. *nods*

Fair enough. Half the vehicles Jim and I have owned in our marriage were manual transmissions, but that was a conscious choice; he always argued that standard transmissions were easier to care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.