The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Trapped in amber said:
Another thing I've noticed, and I think others have commented on this, is that there are a whole load of new faces on the PA boards, and a lot of people have simply vanished who weren't banned....
How many times will people there want to read the same things over, and over, and over again, and post the same comments over, and over, and over again? I wonder how long some of the current enthusiasts will last. If they are not paid shills (I have to think some are), they simply cannot keep it up for much longer.

--Ken

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Jenna, Dave, Bard and all those involved, I think the contest is a great idea!

I would love to donate my art or anything someone might want from my shop. I have some great sacred thread clothing and foxy feet sandals that the ladies might want. I could let them pick. My paintings or other art pieces could be auctioned off for money if you would like to do that. I don't care. I would love to see this go big time. (the contest) Could make national news if we play our cards right!

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
T42 said:
Sean, that is shocking! Are you cute? Do you have your picture up? Are you wearing a night gown that shows your butt off? Man, that is a mystery! Here I was hated the first week, go figure! I should have kept my teeth in when they posted my photo. Crap!
EmoteSmack.gif

T42, you are a riot!
Emoterofl5.gif
EmoteROFL.gif

emoteHail.gif
I think your opinion matches a lot of others at PA, but they are too afraid to say anything.

Marlene
over-the hill blond banned from both PA boards

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
WhisperingBard said:
I hate, really hate, being associated with a company that treats authors the way PA treats them. My decision to let them print my book is one I will regret all my life.
Well, Bard, the good news is that we're all in the same boat, and all in vaunted company. Some days, I feel too stipid to live; the rest of the time, I remember what's what, what really happened, and why it happened.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
book_maven said:
Just I posted the letter I sent to the editors of Sun Publications in this thread yesterday. Though I was outraged at the editors for allowing something so blatantly commerical to pass as editorial, I should have taken out the line about the writer deserving what was coming. That was unprofessional.

No, it wasn't.

He was unprofessional because he gave an opinion before seeing the true results. I wouldn't have a problem with him for mentioning and recommending some business had he actually seen or enjoyed the finished results of, say a newly-sided house that he'd just contracted for, or a meal he had at a new restaurant. However, he's now given a recommendation to a company whose activities are undeserving. Therefore, he's deserving of the same kind of condemnation.

Last edited:

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Trapped in amber said:
The policing of the board has seemed haphazard to me recently, I've been wondering if they have new staff or something.

I think they're just too busy reading this board to concentrate on their own.
emoticonbanana.gif
They know how the truth about them is spreading from this place and I imagine they get worried so they constantly monitor it.

Hi PA infocenter person: :wag:

I know, I know...now that's mature...
Maybe so, but it's also fun...

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
bluwinteryfox said:
They are talking about saving trees http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/newauthors/3186 the last reply says
How can they believe that. :Headbang: I rarely purchase books online. The last two I did was Atlanta Nights because my car is in the garage without an engine, and the other was one my daughter wanted. I like to go into bookstores and look at the book.

I almost always buy my books online. Then again, I telecommute, and we only have one vehicle, so it's not rare for me to go days without leaving the house. I buy almost everything but food and clothes online. I can't remember the last time I bought a computer component in a store, and I buy the majority of my DVDs online, too. My UPS driver knows me better than my neighbors.

ETA: This just proves, by the way, that anecdote is not the plural of data. (Yes, I know data is the plural of data, er, datum, but datum is a stupid word.)

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
M. Story said:
I think they're just too busy reading this board to concentrate on their own.
emoticonbanana.gif
They know how the truth about them is spreading from this place and I imagine they get worried so they constantly monitor it.

Hi PA infocenter person: :wag:

I know, I know...now that's mature...
Maybe so, but it's also fun...
Marlene, you are a total hoot. <sticking out tongue at InfoHelmet>
They come, they monitor, they worry. A lot. Life is good.
:D

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
bluwinteryfox said:
I wonder how many sent letters to the author and received a reply. I sent a letter telling him about my experience with pa and a link to Condensed: Here are The Reasons We Don't Recommend PublishAmerica. I have yet to receive a reply and I'm curious how many did and how similar they are.

I didn't get a reply either.

SeanDSchaffer

M. Story said:
T42, you are a riot!
Emoterofl5.gif
EmoteROFL.gif

emoteHail.gif
I think your opinion matches a lot of others at PA, but they are too afraid to say anything.

Marlene
over-the hill blond banned from both PA boards

You know, Marlene, I read a post by a very respected author on the PA boards (I know I've respected her ever since I've been on those boards) that said (Paraphrased, of course) she believed a lot of PA authors wish they had the guts to come over here and discuss PA with us, whether they agree with us or no. She applauded the individual to whom she was referring for her courage -- it really does take a lot for a person to come to a strange board that's known for disagreeing with them, and actually post at all.

Real quick, if I might (My apologies to Victoria Strauss and to Jenna for this) I want to mention something good that came from yesterday. A number of writers from PA's boards lurked over here yesterday with open minds. I don't know how many (And I don't claim to) left with open hearts, but I imagine there were at least a couple of them. From what I've been reading over on PA's boards, the writers there -- if not the Publisher -- are becoming more open to honest discussion, at least those who've been with PA for a while now. That's something I haven't seen on those boards ever to the extent that it is now.

(Again, Victoria and Jenna, I offer my sincerest apologies for mentioning what happened yesterday, but I thought this report would be important enough for everyone to take note of. I'll try to make this the exception, not the rule, out of respect for your authority. Thank you kindly.)

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
Just now got to your site. Looks good! Gosh, I've got a new link to add to P&E. ;)

Thanks Dave! Where's your pickler sidekick audition?

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
Marlene, you are a total hoot. <sticking out tongue at InfoHelmet>
They come, they monitor, they worry. A lot. Life is good.
:D

Sher2: It's called damage control. ha!

To the lurking Pa Administrator: Good job! :Thumbs: Keep it up! <lie>

SeanDSchaffer

JennaGlatzer said:
Frank Weaver, and I have no idea why I remembered his name, but there you have it!

Hi again. Someone reminded me of this a moment ago, thought I should make the clarification here.

There was a Jr. after his name. Frank Weaver, Jr. Again, a highly respected man over there -- and here, if I read the posts correctly. That's a good reputation to have, I wish I could say I had as good a one as he. Frank's a cool dude.

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
I want to mention something good that came from yesterday. A number of writers from PA's boards lurked over here yesterday with open minds. I don't know how many (And I don't claim to) left with open hearts, but I imagine there were at least a couple of them. From what I've been reading over on PA's boards, the writers there -- if not the Publisher -- are becoming more open to honest discussion, at least those who've been with PA for a while now. That's something I haven't seen on those boards ever to the extent that it is now.

That is great to hear, Sean. It is my honest hope that things do change over there for the better. I've mentioned before that most of the people I've met on the Poz boards are sincere, gifted, and very nice.

I'm here because my conscience was bothering me and I could no longer support PA knowing how they treated me and other authors. They are a very unprofessional bunch to say the least. Also, when I found myself developing a bad attitude as my pleas over a period of 3 months to resolve a major problem were ignored, I began to not care anymore if I got banned or not. I knew then it was time to leave and time to warn others not to be taken in by them.

Marlene

tab

Dipsomaniac on the floor!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apocalypsecow.org
DeadlyAccurate said:
I almost always buy my books online. word.)

I rarely venture into a brick and mortars store. I buy all my books online for five reasons: 1) I read a lot of history books (nonfiction) and sometimes the local bn doesn't carry them, 2) I hate to drive (I live in Houston), 3) I try to buy my law books used from other students around the country, 4) when I do get a hankering to read fiction I just browse the online stores and pick something out, and 5) most importantly, I like receiving packages in the mail. ;)

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
M. Story said:
T42: :ROFL: :ROFL::ROFL: You are toooo much!
Well, I didn't want to have to wake Jenna up. Lord only knows what kind of paddle she's got hidden in her closet.....hmmmm I don't know, new experience...might feel good!:D

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
M. Story said:
That is great to hear, Sean. It is my honest hope that things do change over there for the better. I've mentioned before that most of the people I've met on the Poz boards are sincere, gifted, and very nice.

I'm here because my conscience was bothering me and I could no longer support PA knowing how they treated me and other authors. They are a very unprofessional bunch to say the least. Also, when I found myself developing a bad attitude as my pleas over a period of 3 months to resolve a major problem were ignored, I began to not care anymore if I got banned or not. I knew then it was time to leave and time to warn others not to be taken in by them.

Marlene

This is something that's been on my mind. It's very good that some people are just overjoyed at the service they have been given by PublishAmerica. I'm personally very happy for them and wish them much continued success. If their expectations were/are met, who am I to complain? What I don't understand is, how do they justify to themselves that they are supporting the financial gain of the powers that be at PublishAmerica? They are contributing to the success of people who wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. Meiners, Clopper and Prather have proved themselves over and over to care not a thing for the well being of their authors. Once the dotted line is signed and the friends and family have made the obligatory purchases, the authors are no longer needed or supported in anyway. Yet, these PA supporters keep right on buying their own books and encouraging others to buy them as well.

If I was to ever be so fortunate as to be accepted by one of the big houses, I wouldn't expect to receive personal attention from the principals of that house, neither would I expect to be told not to take a tone with them.

Besides my book not being ready for the public, the thought of the Stooges profiting from it was enough to make me want to hide it away forever. I just cannot condone supporting such a company or its owners.

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Savannah Blue said:
Besides my book not being ready for the public, the thought of the Stooges profiting from it was enough to make me want to hide it away forever. I just cannot condone supporting such a company or its owners.

Kudo's, Savannah Blue! ...Or M&M's, whichever you prefer!
EmoteHug2.gif

I think as time goes by, many from PA will take off their rose-colored glasses and see their publisher for what it is--stipid, unethical and unprofessional--and dems dere gud points.
biggrin.gif

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick note to let everyone know that www.publishamericasucks.com is up and running! Come on over, take a peek, learn a few PA facts, read Ed Williams' column, and have some fun! Let's see if we can turn the screws a little tighter on PA's thumbs! :box:

SeanDSchaffer

Savannah Blue said:
This is something that's been on my mind. It's very good that some people are just overjoyed at the service they have been given by PublishAmerica. I'm personally very happy for them and wish them much continued success. If their expectations were/are met, who am I to complain? What I don't understand is, how do they justify to themselves that they are supporting the financial gain of the powers that be at PublishAmerica? They are contributing to the success of people who wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. Meiners, Clopper and Prather have proved themselves over and over to care not a thing for the well being of their authors. Once the dotted line is signed and the friends and family have made the obligatory purchases, the authors are no longer needed or supported in anyway. Yet, these PA supporters keep right on buying their own books and encouraging others to buy them as well.

If I was to ever be so fortunate as to be accepted by one of the big houses, I wouldn't expect to receive personal attention from the principals of that house, neither would I expect to be told not to take a tone with them.

Sara, I think part of the reason people support PA so much is that they believe they're supporting their own writing careers by supporting PA.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about a 'Cult mentality.' Well, I went to a Baptist Church that had a cultish mentality. We were taught that in the entire metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon (Total a little more than a million people, all the cities therein combined) we were one of three or four churches that were right with God and if we went anywhere else God would not be pleased with us.

To a bit of an extent, I've seen that mentality among a lot of fellow PA'ers. They buy their own books; they market until the cows come home; they push PA -- and I mean they push PA, not their own books -- because they think that if they don't, they'll never amount to anything in the writing business. This is one of the major deceptions PA perpetrates upon its authors, and that's why a lot of PA'ers still support their company.

Plus, there's the issue, Sara, of loyalty to the company that 'gave them their first break.' Again, partially due to the deception that they've been fed saying they wouldn't get anywhere in the writing business if they weren't with PA, they feel PA was their only hope of being published and therefore, feel a strong need to support that company no matter what.

Like I said before -- and one PA author on their boards recently lamented, that I know of -- it's a cult mentality, and a cult is one of the hardest things to break away from for any number of reasons. All the different reasons, though, can basically be summed up in one word: fear. Fear for their writing careers; fear for their acceptance as writers; and fear of what they see as, if I may use this term, their savior's disapproval. (Many believe that PA saved their writing careers; that's why I used the term 'savior.') There's a reason I said several dozen pages back that PA is like a god to many of its authors. That reason is the cultish mentality that PA tries to force upon its authors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.