Ireland calling.

Arlecchina

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I figured this would be the best place to finally de-lurk. I live in Kildare but work in Dublin, so count myself as existing in that odd interstitial commuter space between the two.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Down in the Kingdom of Kerry myself!(Despite the blue of a Cavan jersey on in my pro pic)

Last edited:

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
American here (Irish heritage) but I just wanted to say, a few years ago I went backpacking in Ireland by myself, at 22, which was kinda crazy as being a lone female in a strange country. But- it was amazing, because every single person I interacted with in Dublin, the Knockree Hostel, and Swords was SO sweet and helpful to me, and I never once felt unsafe. I loved my visit in your beautiful country, and can't wait to go back one day!

And: Everyone commented on my southern drawl. :)

IrishRover

uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɟ&#3
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just discovered this site, looks like a good one. Lots to discover.

Anyway, from Armagh, have lived in Belfast and Dublin. Good to see a
decent Irish contigent here - we do know how to tell a good story, after all.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
I was born on the hoof as it were in the US. Parents only stood it for four months and came back to Europe, tried England next time and liked it no better. At least the next generation of girls all have decent Irish boyfriends so they might find their way back to the Holy Ground once more.

Saavedra

a mean mother hubbard.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rubiemagazine.com
I'm American, but claim some diluted Irish blood.

I spent eight weeks in Ireland in summer of 2011 -- Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Dublin again, with some stopovers in Cobh, Doolin, and Inishmore, which looks much cooler as Inis Mór, but that's neither here nor there.

Well, anyway, I loved every second of my time there, every raindrop, every damp hatted passerby, every barkeeper, every shopkeeper. I loved waking up in the morning and heading out in a different direction than yesterday. I came across many fine things and people that way.

Just wanted to give my thanks to your country's hospitality.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Hi lolarobinson,
am your near neighbour - Athy (but living in France)

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Greetings from America. Mother's family hails from Wicklow and Father's from Belfast. But my forebearers saw fit to settle in Louisiana....seriously....that is an improvement over Ireland?

Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons. I give them credit (or blame them) for my love of redheads!

Superbacon

Poems about pork products
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad's side of the family is all Irish. I remember when I was younger before we moved to New Zealand from England, I'd walk with him at night down by the river and the docks and you'd hear fiddle music from the pubs. These days, whenever I hear any sort of Irish music with traditional elements it gives me great feelings.

I'd love to live in Ireland for a while at some point. Hopefully a fair distance from the troubles though!

Noniej

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Wicklow, some of my siblings from Carlow, mother Laois, Father Kildare, son lives in Dublin - and I live in Auckland, New Zealand :) We like to get around.

parakeety

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Clare, but I live in Murrica now. It's mad altogether.

Plain Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I just joined the forum but it's so nice to so quickly and easily find Irish peoples! I'm out in the 'royal county' (so smelly ol' Meath) but working in Dublin.

Plain Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Heh Superbacon I don't know any irish people that would listen to trad irish music! Most pubs actually in Ireland have much better taste (apart from the tourist ones which love to humour the stereotypes) ;)

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Leitrim here. There aren't a huge contingent of us anywhere really.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sneak reading about all of you, just so you know. I'm American but of Irish descent - my half Irish mother even gave me a gaelic name, although she misspelled it..

That's okay... I've seen alot of mispelled gaelic names from Irish natives here too! During the 'tiger years' it became a trend for urban, upper middle class families to give Irish names but some mispell or mispronounce them!!:D

What's your name, if you don't mind me asking? Leaving out accents in another country is an acceptable 'mispelling' in my book if your wondering.

Leitrim here. There aren't a huge contingent of us anywhere really.

In fairness, Leitrim borders on fictional at this point. I've lived in Connacht (Galway) my whole life and I don't know a single Leitrimer! o_O

Belfast here, fierce Northerner. Purrrrr.

Which reminds me, I'm overdue a visit to Belfast! It's nearly too years since I've been!

WaveHopper

Registered
Reaction score
In fairness, Leitrim borders on fictional at this point. I've lived in Connacht (Galway) my whole life and I don't know a single Leitrimer! o_O

I've heard that if you keep really really quiet, a Leitrimer might appear at the foot of the garden.

Matty lll

Registered
Reaction score
My Dad's side of the family is all Irish. I remember when I was younger before we moved to New Zealand from England, I'd walk with him at night down by the river and the docks and you'd hear fiddle music from the pubs. These days, whenever I hear any sort of Irish music with traditional elements it gives me great feelings.

I'd love to live in Ireland for a while at some point. Hopefully a fair distance from the troubles though!

Jesus! it's not like that still!