G'Day

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
well, hell, that's just awesome! I knew I couldn't be entirely wrong about that word!

Although, I did used to pronounce anxiety as anks-ee-at-ee when I was younger, so who the hell knows? *shrugs, conspirationally* LOL

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
good morning all!

I have my coffee, my usb stick, and I am so getting stuck into the end of G&I this morning! bring it!

what are you lot up to?

I went to the gym, had a personal trainer session, got home, lunched, got toddler to sleep (yah).. now toddler is waking (booh)... drafted a query letter, which I've poste in QL hell... now I want a sleep... gotta dash incoming toddler!

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought you'd enjoy it MM.:D

Can someone explain to me why i thought a 9300 word chapter was a good idea? took forever to edit, and now I realise I forgot to work out where to split it.

Bot going back right now though. That's one for the final revision next week!

I'm tossing up whether it should count as two now, or if I'll do another one tonight, after I finish your MM.

Decisions...

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
hmm, what are the other chapter lengths? I'd decide where to break it now, and consider it two.

Which chapter is it? maybe I can offer some suggestion about where to break it?

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
It's chapter 7.

Ch 4 was the same and is now ch 4 & 5

I think i might split it where they go to check out Leoni's place.

The other chapters average 5000 words, but they're are a couple that are 4k.

Except chapter 1&6 which are 7k, but can't be split anywhere sensible.

I guess what I should say is that they are all over the place lol!

The final copy is going to have 19 chapters instead of the seventeen in the draft I sent you.

Mind you, I planned for 20 at 5k each at the start. A couple got eaten when I combined scenes along the way. Who knew it would pretty much even out in the end?:D

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
Originally the last chapter was meant to be two - but I combined the scenes into one because it didn't seem to split naturally.

Although... I might revisit that when I get to it during the edit.

Come to think of it - I bet if I went back and looked, the extra long chapters would end up being the other scenes I combined in the outline because I thought I couldn't do enough with them to warrant a chapter...

This is what comes of fiddling with the outline lol!I'll spend longer than a week on the next one, which should solve these issues.;)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
if my outline is too rigid, I find I don't want to write the story. I feel like I've already told it. I have a lot more fun working with only a basic skeleton :D

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
No way i could work like that - too much going on with the plot for me to work like that.

I like to plot it out in intervals to keep the tension rising all the way through. Oddly enough, I find it freeing to know I have a destination to write to.

Mind you, I just sketch out the major elements of the scenes in the outline, so I have loads of freedom to make them happen. I like it because I can write quickly, and not have to rework anything much in the revision this way.

But I'm like that, I like plans, I think it has something to do with a life time of riding and training dressage. You have set outcomes and guidelines and parameters to work in, and you individualise your approach within them.

I get nervous if I don't know where I am going.

The next one is daunting - it has to be bigger and better, and the world building is going to be epic. Oh and subplots - there are several. No way I'll be planning it in a week lol!

But first- get this one done and out the door. End of next week is the bottom line. I just counted back weeks - I started writing it 10 weeks ago as of next Monday lol! So if I get it out by the end of next week it will be less than 12 weeks from first word of outline to out the door.

No wonder my mind is freaking scrambled!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back.

I have a Scotch and Coke in front of me, vodka in my belly, and a desire to continue doing pretty much nothing.

I didn't even work on any songs today... at this rate I won't finish the competition! *sigh*

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
I've sent MM's comments on and now am having a mango and coconut smooze and contemplating editing ch 8 or watching a dvd.

Editing will no doubt win.

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
Right, Ch8 has been put to bed.

And i am going to follow suit, I mighteven try to read a little bit, though god knows why I'd want to after editing around 20k of my own and Betaing nearly as much of MM's today.

Maybe it's the chance for a lazy read that appeals lol!

Oh and Cliff - I'd chew someone's arm off for a ciggy right now, but I'm still not desperate enough to drive out and buy some. So the champix is working- sort of.:tongue

'Night Australia!

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
*waves goodnight*... i've still got another hour before bedtime tonight...

Night..

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
lol you guys... I thought I'd pop in before I headed off to bed too, and you've all snuck off early!

So excited to read your comments, LF!

I went out for dinner for a friend's birthday! And afterwards I was playing with her two puppies. They are so funny, they love cuddles and belly rubs. Seriously, so much more demonstrative than my beast at home, but I love my furball for different reasons.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
totally lol-ing this morning... someone left "working with monsters - how to identify and protect yourself from the workplace psychopath" on my desk! Bahahaha!

coffee anyone?

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
OMFG! MM - that is too funny for words.:ROFL:
Some people havt the best sense of humour, don't they. You should leave it out, where the bossbitch can see it.;)

I'd love a coffee please! In fact, my shout.:e2coffee::e2coffee::e2coffee: One extra- in case we have a pop in.

My eggpoles have turned into tadpoles! There has to be a thousand of them... This is the first batch of eggs we've seen so I assume moving them to safety has increased the hatch rate significantly,I don't know that I'll be able to cope with a herd that size lol!

Mum is going in for carpal tunnel surgery today, the poor pet, so that will be a spot of worrying for me around the 1.30 mark. On the upside- I'm driving her in and picking her up, so I get to drive my car! Haven't been in it again since I picked it up - almost a week- because of my stupid back. So I'm a bit excited.

I started writing my first blog post this morning (in Notepad, haven't organised the actual blog yet) and surprisingly enough I have someting to say, now I've decided to make my obsession with Irish faeries the theme. Who knew?

And now- I hear the strident cries of Ch9. Blerk.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
I have a blog... I don't really advertise it since it's just stupid life stuff, nothing all that interesting :) But if you wanted some advice or suggestions on what platforms are easiest to use, give me a yell.

I'll send over the last 3 chapters of BB this morning, and respond to your comments, lol I was laughing the whole way through :D

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh thanks MM. I've registered a domain name (pre-emptive, I know) and have started working in Blogger - it that easy enough to use?

I don't really want to get caught up in it until I have finished the editing though...probably shouldn't have started then, hmm?;)

Cool on the comments and chapters - glad I made you chuckle!

:D

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
Blogger is very customisable. I've used pretty much all of them, and blogger gives you the most control, although a result of that can be you get something that isn't as professional looking, since you've played with the code yourself, lol!

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh lord - god knows what kind of mess I'll end up lol!

The post I started prompted me to dig upp my fave book - The Perilous Gard, it's a Tam Lin adaptation from the early 70's.

And now it's sitting there, daring me to re-read it. And I have already got a book started, and all this editing to get through... Arrrrgggh!

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
well, I'm still trying to decide what work I should give Sian for Crit circle.

I've written SOME synopsis, I could work on that and send it to her, but I kind of want people to read my actual writing, to tell me what they think of the voice, and if they like the characters.

I thought of chapter one, but I don't think I will send that, since it's been almost over-betaed, and I want to get as much as possible out of the session.

What do you reckon?

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
I reckon I forgot to send through my critique!

That's what i reckon. Shit. i blame my stupid back issues.

I blame them for pretty much everything, i know- but it's legit blame.

Hmmm, I know what you mean about ch1 being over beta'd, O have to say, i loved ch 16-in terms of voice I think it's the best. And the relationship with Randall is so playful.

But then is there anypoint in sending out something you know is good?

I was lucky - I had only written 3 chapters when I sent mine. Choice was not an option.

Last edited:

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
lol, I still think it's amazing we got your first draft. Mine are usually very complete, but they're disconnected scenes. I wouldn't have enough to send out like that, not without expecting you guys to jump from one thing to another.

Chapter 16 is probably my favourite too. Other than the ending. I like that as well, obviously, lol.

But you're right, in 2 ways. If you send something good, it's hard for them to give you any critiquing. But the other option is, you'll be most proud of that section, think it's the best in the book.... and you go into crit hoping for some nice comments, and you'll just get shot down. Hardcore. Ripped to shreds.

And that would be unbelievably upsetting, way more than a scene you know needs work, you know?