Military Question: When large re-enforcements arrive what happens?

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My story involves a small group of fifty troops holding a position. They have succeeded in holding a position against the enemy for quite some time (about a month). Though this story is sci fi there are still elements that I wish to employ that are true to the military procedures of today. I'd like for the fictional procedures to have some kind of actual basis that has simply been adapted to fit the time period.

So what would happen if a large detachment arrives at the group's location?

Would they be absorbed into the larger group? Work along side them? Sent home?

What would the commanding officer of the larger detachment do?

How much paperwork would be involved?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Any of those are possible. Are they parts of the same unit? If so, then the smaller group would simply join in. If they are from separate units, then the smaller unit might be temporarily attached to the larger, or they might be sent somewhere else. After a month holding a position it wouldn't be surprising if they they'd be sent somewhere for rest.
The paperwork probably would be done somewhere else. How much would depend on how much you want them to have.

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
It is a "situation dictates" question because it would depend on many things, of which I will not list here.

So lets say a group of 50 soldiers are holding a position. That size element is usually a platoon sized element. They call in for reinforcements and a group larger than them arrives to help out. I would think that new group would be remaining platoons within that company and the Company Commander would take charge, replacing the Platoon Commander that was in charge. The platoon would be absorbed back into the company and they would all live happily ever after.

Now, if that larger group was not part of their unit then things get a little trickier. As part of the mission building process, adjacent units that would provide reinforcements are identified and it is clearly spelled out what would happen in that scenario.

If you want to go into that much detail then you have to learn at least the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_paragraph_order
METT-TC
BAMCIS
Operation Orders

There is alot that goes into it. I have endured a 128 slide power point presentation for a single 5 paragraph order that was for a Demolition Range.

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Badwolf gave a great answer. It really is situation dependent.

As for paperwork, that's stuff for the Officers and people way above my paygrade to deal with. I will say that whatever it is, the military generally requires a ridiculous amount of paperwork to do anything.

I feel for you -- that is inhumane punishment.

The US Navy is king of Death by Powerpoint.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you -- that is inhumane punishment.

Very true. Though I am a civilian puke I had the opportunity to shadow a senior airman for a day. So I had to sit through a very long, and very boring presentation called Self Aid and Buddy Care.

So I feel for you too.

Then there was another one about being a POW.

Do they really need to say "the first thing you should is find a means of escape."

I'm thinking "No really? I can't stay behind and play cards?"

Last edited:

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
Very true. Though I am a civilian puke I had the opportunity to shadow a senior airman for a day. So I had to sit through a very long, and very boring presentation called Self Aid and Buddy Care.

So I feel for you too.

Then there was another one about being a POW.

Do they really need to say "the first thing you should is find a means of escape."

I'm thinking "No really? I can't stay behind and play cards?"

It's about remaining focused. Look at recent cases of POWs.

You are FAR away from home, more often than not hurt in some way, hungry and thirsty, and usually sleep deprived. It is really easy to give up all hope and for the enemy to manipulate you, so instead of thinking about the present you focus on the future. It's about adjusting your POV and keeping hope alive that either you can escape, or get rescued, before they execute you.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
The US Navy is king of Death by Powerpoint.

Not true sir -- the US Army has a Junior Staff College (SALT) where they send company grade officers to learn to be Power Point Rangers.
School of Advanced Leadership and Tactics (SALT) provides officer continuing education towards developing the Scholar-Warrior-Leader from first lieutenant to selection for major. The result is mastery of branch-specific technical and tactical skills, staff processes in battalions and brigades [emphasis mine], direct leadership and command competencies, and initial broadening opportunities.

It's that italicized part.

Last edited: