Anyone Ever Lived In A Haunted House?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I volunteered here in 2002-2003. Frederick Billings founded the city and later funded Parmly Billings Library. Parmly was his son who met an untimely end in Billings, Montana, and remained to haunt.

http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/mt/parmly_billings.htm

Karen Stevens was the research librarian at the time. She maintained records of all sightings.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I have a couple stories about houses I've lived in and one about a theatre I worked in -- but I am not sure I want to dredge that stuff from my memory -- for the past 12 years (since I lived with 2 roommates who were morticians), I have had what is called 'night terrors' -- I saw people standing in my room at night. This only stopped when we moved a few months ago to a new house.

Let me think about it. I have some appointments today, but I will be back later this evening.

katfireblade

Fluffy lurker in shadows
Registered
Reaction score
It's very very late, and I want to reply but I don't really have time to write the whole thing. But, by request, I once comic-stripped my experience, so if you aren't adverse to link clicking, here is the full story:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

And no, I can't draw, which is why it's done in an online comic making system. I wish I was that talented. :)

That's not the only weird experience I've ever had, but it certainly stands out the most.

Qui Amat Scribere

sed qui usquam procrastinates.
Registered
Reaction score
Helix, that Nina Sunday story made me laugh! I'll have to look her up and see if she's got some more work out there, I like her sense of humour. Though perhaps that's the Australian sense of humour in general?

I know I was probably just sleepwalking, but my sister still insists it's the creepiest thing I've ever done.

That IS creepy. Do you have a history of sleepwalking? I've heard of people doing some really strange things.

Mrs. Mig, I've always had the impression that Americans in general, particularly, for some reason, in the Southern States, are weirdly obsessed with the Civil War. It makes sense, since it's exciting history, but as far as I know we don't have anything similar in Canada (the Red River Rebellion is about as close as anything I can think of, and to most Canadians it's just something you learn about in history class).

Also, zombie soldiers are definitely not something I want to bump into while trying to leave the theatre on a dark night.

Quickbread, me too! I've never lived anywhere remotely haunted, which is probably partly why the idea fascinates me so much.

Last edited:

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
I'm a skeptic, too, but my college had a couple of ghosts. I went to college in Boston, which is an old city and we were right in the middle of downtown, right across from the Common. One of the dorms used to be an apartment building during the Depression. Supposedly the back elevator shaft was open and a little girl, playing with her ball, fell down the shaft. Well, skip several decades, where that elevator shaft becomes the dorm's service elevator and there's a dorm room right next to it. I had a friend who lived in one of the rooms right by the elevator and he used to wake up with strange scratches on his arms and legs and swore he saw the little girl's ghost in his room a few times.

Oh, and my great-aunt haunts my grandma's house. The last time my uncle went to see the house, the new owner asked him if anyone died in the house because there are weird creaks and door slammings and stuff.

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any actual sightings, but I've had very odd experiences. In my old house up in Pollock Pines, the previous owners had redone the garage and converted it to a room. It wasn't done to code, but we found out about that after the fact, and they just let it slide. Well, at some point, I don't know what made me look, but the room was just an odd shape at the front door on account of having had to make room for plumbing maybe against one of the walls, but the odd angles left this one little divot of a spot. Again, I have no idea what made me look, but I found a floor safe there. Of course, I did what anyone would do. OOOOO I wonder if I can crack it, and well proceeded to try combination after combination. That's when things started happening. Nothing major but just ... odd. I had turned the room into my office so all my computer stuff was in there. Coming home one day from work, (this is back in the big computer and big, heavy screens days) I open the door and I distinctly hear my computer shut off. I looked straight away at it. The monitor was still glowing (if anyone had one of those old beasts, you know what I mean). The computer itself was still faintly gearing down with all of those almost inaudible clicks and clacks you just completely dismiss but still hear faintly. Immediately, I was freaked out. It still gives me goose bumps. In fact, I didn't want to be in the house till my now ex-wife came home, it freaked me out that much.

That was the first instance. The second instance was a book of mine, and you'll doubly freak when I tell you the book (a copy of The Necronomicon) because I was in a comparative religion phase at the time and was still unsure what I believed, well it crashed to the floor while I was in that room. It wasn't tucked in between two books, it was face out, but there was a small trinket in front of it that kept it on place. Yeah, that freaked me out.

Then the dream - It was about the safe that I had been trying to crack. Somehow I had successfully opened it, but I felt like, in my dream still, that something was trying to crack me, meaning trying to gain entrance. Okay, yeah that really freaked me out.

I stopped trying to get into the safe altogether after that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll share a very short version of a story. I've lived in two haunted houses. The one I grew up in was pretty benign. Just things moving around, and sometimes we'd see a little girl, but none of it was scary.

Then as an adult, I stayed with a friend for a few weeks, and that place was terrifying. We called whatever was there a demon, though I don't know that it actually was. It was without a doubt, however, malicious. I won't go into the long version or all the things that happened, but I'll give a couple of interesting tidbits.

First off, my friend didn't tell me that the house was haunted. I figured that out on my own my first weekend there when he was out. I had a telescope and had wanted to go out and test it out as we lived out in the middle of nowhere and had a great night sky. As soon as I stepped outside, I was overwhelmed with a feeling that someone was out there and wanted to hurt me. It's hard to describe because there was nothing to really account for it. No weird noises, I didn't see anything, just this feeling that something was very, very wrong. I rushed back inside, pulled the curtains shut, locked the door, and sat convinced someone was about to come through the door and murder me.

It was pretty irrational, and I probably would have written it off as my imagination, but when my friend got back I mentioned to him that I'd had the weirdest thing happen, and told him about the experience. His response? "Oh...I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

After that he told me all of the strange things that had happened to him, his neighbors, and his friends. Apparently he hadn't wanted to scare me away before I came. I'd lived in a haunted house before, though, so I figured I could handle it.

Now, I won't go into all the details about how weird this is, but I will mention the scariest thing that happened to me while I was there. This strange ghost/demon thing didn't usually do too much, just gave us creepy feelings when we went out at night, and the cat would often circle the room, staring at the walls as if she could see outside and was following something as it paced outside the house. For awhile we thought this thing couldn't get in because most of that awful, creepy feeling (and people seeing the ghost) happened outside. As such, we didn't go out much at night unless we had to. Honestly, we also blocked all the windows because just seeing out at night was creepy as hell, but that's beside the point.

After awhile, strange things started happening in the house. Things would move around while we were gone, we'd hear noises, get that creepy feeling even when the windows were all blocked. It got to the point where we stayed up until the sun rose because we were too afraid to sleep. My friend's girlfriend and I were convinced this thing was able to come in the house and that it was toying with us.

One night, my friend and his girlfriend had decided to go on a short trip for the weekend, leaving me there alone. I wasn't too concerned, just figured I'd stay up all night playing video games, keep the curtains shut, and things would be fine. Well, at about one thirty the first morning, I was sitting on the sofa playing games, and the cat came over and sat in a chair a couple of feet away from me. At first he just sat there, but then he started acting strange, watching something in the direction of the kitchen.

I told myself not to worry and that the cat was just being a cat, but then the cat started to hiss and bat at the air in front of her, shying back as if someone was trying to touch her and she didn't want to be touched. I was absolutely terrified. Something was right there. I couldn't see it, but the cat could see it, and it was playing with the cat, and toying with me, too, if I had to be honest. I might have been able to write this off as well if it had just been a single bat and a single hiss, but this went on for an hour. A solid hour of the cat hissing, arching her back, hair completely on end. I couldn't move. I was too terrified to get up because I wasn't sure where this thing was, or what it would do. I ended up sitting there, unable to do anything but watch until it was finally over and the cat settled down again and I knew it was gone.

I immediately called my friend and told him that there was no chance in hell I was staying in that house for another night alone. He had someone else come and stay with me the next night, and after that I was getting out as soon as I could.

What amazed me more than anything, though, is that as soon as I left, I was aware of this massive shift in the atmosphere. That house felt so...oppressive. Negative, dangerous. It wasn't just that it felt malicious, it was depressing. It wasn't until I was gone that I was able to realize that it had been so strong. The same day I left, sleeping that night in a new place, I was just astounded at how light I felt.

It might not be as scary as other people's stories, but that place was absolutely horrifying, and I can honestly say that I hope I never have to experience anything like it again.

Last edited:

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see your haunted house and raise you working solo night shift in a former mental institution. The offices are converted cells for holding violent inmates. Its an old building, with creaks, groans and unexplained noises, especially when the wind howls outside and the rain batters against the tall, narrow windows...

Qui Amat Scribere

Registered
Reaction score
The house I grew up in was built in the 1890s. As a child, I was plagued by nightmares.

This seems to be a common theme, doesn't it. The first sign of something strange is the kids having nightmares. Also, your house sounds so spooky! The cat growling at the door, and the steps on the stairs, would have freaked me out the most. The rest I could explain away easily.

It could also have to do with the two boxes of dog ashes that my husband feels like toting around instead of burying. I finally convinced him to put them into storage.

This reminds me of my great-grandparents' place. When we stayed over, I always slept in the spare room in their basement. It was a little creepy - not malicious, just a bit 'off', but then basements tend to be. But the thing that I hated as a child was that on a shelf behind the bed, they kept the ashes of their past dogs in little ceramic urns. I'm surprised it never gave me nightmares when I stayed!

Stormie, did you ever manage to arrange communication? Two taps for yes, one tap for no, sort of thing? (It reminds me of Victorian mediums!) Also, I like the 'annoying' spirit in your current place. It's a good reminder that not every ghost has to be downright terrifying or tragic - the come in all flavours. Like people, I suppose, haha.

Barbara, that's a bit freaky. If anyone offers to let me stay at an old stone house with a laboratory near Lake Lucerne, I think I'll decline.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am curious. If y'all thought there was a malicious ghost, how come y'all stayed? (This is a question in general to any of you who mentioned a scary ghost.)

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
*Shivers* ooo I love reading about people's ghost stories. I always get really spooked and yet I can never resist...

I've had one minor experience that might be relevant: when I was about eleven or twelve, my parents took my brother and I roadtripping across Alberta and BC--we had a trailer and would spend each night at a different campsite. One night we were all sitting around the campfire when it was very late and nearly pitch dark. I remember looking at the chopping block and seeing my dad's axe laying in the grass beside it. That's when a car drove past on the road, momentarily flooding our campsite with bright light. When the car had driven away, I looked again and saw that the axe head was buried in the chopping block. I probably could have convinced myself I imagined it, except for right at that moment my mom said, "Uhhh...wasn't the axe laying on the ground just a second ago?"

It was definitely weird, and though my dad and brother never believed us, my mom and I are both adamant to this day that it happened.

Like Orianna and Qui Amat Scribere, I've also experienced walking into a place and feeling an overwhelming sense of terror and wrongness. I was a little older but still a young teen when, on a different family vacation, we visited some kind of museum or antique shop. I remember they had one room/garage type place with a lot of taxidermied animals and old tools, and as soon as we entered, I became overwhelmed with the feeling that something truly evil had happened there. I was filled with fear and mistrust and horror. Immediately my mind filled with certainty that either women or animals or both had been murdered in that room. I really hope it was just my overactive writer's imagination, but I honestly had never felt anything like that before, nor have I since. I remember my parents were chatting with this man who worked there and I just walked out and waited on the lawn for them so we could leave.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I am curious. If y'all thought there was a malicious ghost, how come y'all stayed? (This is a question in general to any of you who mentioned a scary ghost.)

In my case, I didn't. In my friend's case, it had followed him from where he had lived before and he didn't know how to get rid of it. Since it had already followed him from one location to another, I think he didn't think it would help much.

To be honest, I lost touch with him not very long after that when I left the country, and I'm still not quite sure how the situation was ever resolved.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
Oh yeah. I've had a few very strange encounters. I'm largely a skeptic, and I try to find the rational explanations, but there have been a couple I just can't explain.

In Orlando: My boyfriend at the time and I moved into a historic apartment building. We had a gas oven that we couldn't ever seem to get lit. One night we came home, and there was some kind of substance flowing out from around the oven door. Like an oozing grease of some sort. It was definitely strange, but we cleaned it up and went on with our evening.

An hour or so later, my boyfriend was laying on the air mattress and I was on the couch (studio apartment). Suddenly he started screaming and jumped up. There were three long scratches down his back, like fingernail scratches, bleeding fairly profusely. Nothing sharp around, no punctures in the air mattress. No clue what caused it. I got him patched up and we tried to go bed.

About 20 minutes later, he jumped up again and said, "I know how to light the oven!" Then he started relaying this story about the female ghost that scratched him. He said he had this sort of vision of her last days. Apparently, her husband lost everything in the Great Depression and jumped off a building. When she heard, she committed suicide by sticking her head in the oven. I have absolutely no idea if he actually had such a vision, but he did go over and light the oven on the first try, and we had no more trouble with it after that.

A few years later, I moved to the French Quarter in New Orleans. So many inexplicable things happened there, but the strangest was at my parents' apartment. They lived in an 1840s estate that was a main house with slave quarters behind it and a courtyard in between the two buildings, all surrounded by a high brick wall. The main house had long since been divided into apartments, but the slave quarters had been mostly destroyed in a fire sometime around the 1950s and never restored. The bottom floor of the slave quarters had no interior walls, just wooden support beams. The original staircase at one end was still intact, and there was a creaky wooden walkway upstairs. Storage space is at a premium in the French Quarter, so everyone in the building used the bottom floor of the slave quarters for storage.

Everyone talked about weird feelings and strange noises in the slave quarters, so no one would go out there at night. The fact that there was no electricity in the courtyard or the slave quarters didn't help. So one night several friends and I were hanging out at my parents place, and around midnight, they wanted to go see the slave quarters. I tried to talk them out of it, but peer pressure got the better of me, so I agreed to lead the charge.

Deciding bravado was my best defense, I strode across the courtyard and started up the staircase. About halfway up I yelled out, "I don't believe in ghosts anyway." At that exact moment, something shoved me hard, directly in the middle of my chest, and I stumbled back down the stairs. My friends said they saw me get pushed, though they didn't really see exactly what pushed me. We all bolted back into the safety of my parents' place, and none of us would set foot out there after dark ever again.

Qui Amat Scribere

Registered
Reaction score
I volunteered here in 2002-2003. Frederick Billings founded the city and later funded Parmly Billings Library. Parmly was his son who met an untimely end in Billings, Montana, and remained to haunt.

http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/mt/parmly_billings.htm

Karen Stevens was the research librarian at the time. She maintained records of all sightings.

I checked out the link. Nice, detailed descriptions of the manifestations, etc. It's cool that there was an actually investigation! Did you ever experience anything while you volunteered there?

Karen, please don't feel you need to share anything that makes you uncomfortable. But, if you think it would be fine, I'd love to hear your story.

Katfireblade, you told that story really well! And you certainly came out of the experience with a very positive outlook on the nature of life and death. Which is the best we could ask for in that sort of situation, I think, haha.

Last edited: