Requesting help with my YA novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I've written one novel in a sci fi universe I've created, and I've started writing a second. The MC in both in a girl named Tamika. I've pictured her in my head as African American, but it's never actually stated in the book. She's described as having a darker skin tone in comparison to other characters, and that's the only time it's mentioned.

Now I'm working on the new story and Tamika's mother comes into play. She's well-known as an amazing programmer and Tamika looks up to her in a lot of ways. Then I realized that my plot involves Mom being on trial for murdering a bunch of people (she's innocent, but not everyone thinks so), then getting mind controlled and forced to act like a slave to her parole officer. Tamika's goal in the book is to rescue her, and that's going to put her at risk for getting caught in the same mind control trap. (Should note that haven't planned anything about the officer yet other than she's female.)

My gut reaction is that this is going to come off as insensitive no matter how I write it. I also realize a lot of my issue is just how little planning I did the first time around. Still, I'm coming out of my stupid zone, and I would really appreciate any insight you can give on how to proceed here. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
How do you think this is insensitive?

My two big concerns are 1) the fact that Mom is considered a criminal for most of the book and 2) the idea of two black characters in the book getting treated as slaves.

I'm aware that I might be way overthinking things, too. As I said, it was my gut reaction, and I'd rather ask now than later.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
My two big concerns are 1) the fact that Mom is considered a criminal for most of the book and 2) the idea of two black characters in the book getting treated as slaves.

I'm aware that I might be way overthinking things, too. As I said, it was my gut reaction, and I'd rather ask now than later.

I think it's 90% overthinking, and 10% smart awareness with this.

You're going to step on someone's toes at some point no matter what, and bringing in race and past/current problems might spark something.

But IMHO, I think you're fine with what you're writing. Write it realistically, avoiding negative stereotypes, and you're golden.

Although, you can bring some surprising elements to the story if you want to focus on the whole "African American framed as criminal, treated like a slave" and bring out some rather enlightening outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.