Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Alberta and BC are bad with snow. Dad used to work over there sometimes, and apparently it used to snow a lot. I mean, A LOT.

And I know Labrador is, but that's north, so that could be a reason.

I don't know much about NS or NB, even though I have a cousin in NS

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Anyways, I don't like snow enough to be constantly talking about it :p how's your Sherlock Holmes reinterpretation coming? Did you decide on the name yet?

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still really torn. I'm writing with each to see which comes best. The other MC is named Sophie (John is one of the most common English names; Sophie is the most common girl's name in Montreal at the time she was born).

ETA: I'm leaning toward Miranda, because it's a bit more Westmount, but I don't know. I also need a last name.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sophie is a lovely name. I've been enjoying reading about a great Sophie in the Infernal Dev1ces series, so I feel kindly disposed toward Sophies at the moment. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I love Sophie too.

I have:

Isaac
Stephan
Grace
Mark
Anna
Isabelle
Heather
David

ETA: I'm going to bed now - curling up with David Levithan

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Sophie is definitely Sophie. Well, her family, who are francophone, call her Marie-Sophie, but socially she goes by the more anglophone-ic Sophie.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I need to update my blog... I'd gotten in the habit of blogging everyday but now I've fallen to about a post per week. :( I wish I had more time during the day.
Tally, I like the Sophie/Marie-Sophie idea.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sophie is definitely Sophie. Well, her family, who are francophone, call her Marie-Sophie, but socially she goes by the more anglophone-ic Sophie.

That's fascinating. It must be weird to be known by different names in different situations.

(I appreciate the irony of saying this while posting as Parametric. The internet is different!)

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I love the name John. It's probably one if my favorite boy names. :p

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, MR.

Yeah, apart from all the crime stuff, the novel is majorly about the social politics of Montreal and specifically Westmount.

Sophie is caught between three worlds: the world of her family, a proud Québecois family that has shades of seperatism and doesn't approve of her going to an English private school (she's the only one in her family who can go to English high school, because of Bill 104 which states that if you are a Canadian citizen living in Québec, you can only go to English high school if one of your parents did three years of English education in Canada), the world of her generation, in which the more 'Americanized' you are, the better, and the world of Westmount, where wealth, family history and a big house make up for any sin.

ETA: Meanwhile, Miranda/Meredith comes from a rich Jewish family (which make up most of the Westmount upper class) and is the only girl there to have skipped her own Bat Mitzvah party. In Westmount, parents spend millions on those parties not to make their kids happy but to show off their wealth and status. Miranda/Meredith has all the background and money she could ever need to have a permanent place in the popular crowd and doesn't want it. Sophie can never have the perceived class or worth to fit in, but she tries desperately.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I should really be editing my english essay...

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting my opinion out there. :tongue

Honestly, Miranda reminds me of Lizzie McGuire. Is there even a Miranda in that show? I think...

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
394213_206548296104517_185115038247843_418551_132978688_n.jpg

I had to read this about 5 times to find the mistake! Feel so stupid. Try it. Good luck. :)

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
....that moment when you realize you used to write better two years ago than you do now

er. hiiiii.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
HR, :). It took me forever to find out! My eyes were drawn to the numbers and that's all I looked at!

Status
Not open for further replies.