Mixed race MC's...do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Some encouragement for the wishful thinkers.

~150 years ago, Abraham Lincoln:

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.
Today, we have Barack Obama.

We've come a long way. I think we can still go a long ways more. Keep wishing everyone. :Hug2:

Long ETA:

I don't want to bump this thread again, so I'm going to do a long edit of this post.

It has been pointed out to me that my position in this thread is not clear. Reading back, I agree; so please allow me to clarify.

To repeat again, I never said people cannot use the term "exotic" to define POC. Nor did I ever say people cannot have "exotic" sexual fantasies with POC.

My position is that people should acknowledge that using "exotic" to define POC based on nothing else but the C, is racism.

That's what I want right now, acknowledgment. If you are going to use a word in a racist way, then acknowledge it is racist. If you are going to have a racist sexual fantasy, acknowledge it is a racist fantasy.

(To use an extreme example, I also don't have any issue with people who have rape fantasies. If you can find a consenting partner who will act out this fantasy with you in the privacy of your bedroom, great. Have fun.

When the vast majority of these people come out of the bedroom, they know rape is wrong. They know it was a fantasy.

But when people try to justify/normalize calling POC "exotic", the fantasy doesn't end at the bedroom. Because people don't think it's racist, they are told by the industry, by entertainment, and by other people that this is just the way the world is--that thinking about POC as "exotic" isn't racism.

Putputt gave a good example of someone who didn't understand that the fantasy ended at the bedroom door. Unfortunately, her experience is not uncommon; and luckily, it has a semi-happy ending.

If the sex industry wants to keep making racist sexual fantasy media, that's fine. Have fun. But acknowledge it is a racist fantasy.)

It might not seem like a big deal, but for POC who do not think of themselves as "exotic", and for POC who are born and raised and educated in western countries for many generations, to be told they are still "exotic" for nothing else but our race... it is frustrating! And it continues to perpetuate the myth that they are never quite "normal", or really citizens, or at home in our countries. "Exotic" makes them different; it makes them the perpetual foreigners no matter what they do, they will always be the outsiders, the "exotic" people.

Maybe it is "wishful thinking", but I believe this can be changed eventually. And no, I am not advocating censoring the word, or changing peoples' sexual fantasies. I am advocating educating people. Even large scale social/cultural changes had to start somewhere. Even a small step like getting people to acknowledge "describing POC as 'exotic' based on nothing else but their race, is racism" is something.

As I said above: keep wishing--because if there are no wishes, nothing will change. Abraham Lincoln would have been right; there would be no Barack Obama, and quite possibly many of the people on this board. Keep wishing. :)

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is wishful thinking on your part. Do not believe for any second that people are not going to fetishized others. That is how the entertainment industry works. Speciality, that is how the adult industry works. People are going to racist no matter what you or I say. Systematic racism is in every society. It is part of the human condition. Every minority most deal with systematic racism in the workplace and else where. I am not defending anything but myself. I am a minority woman working in one of the toughest industry on earth. In fact, I instructed other women of color and gay men on how to survive in this industry. I told the truth and it was not to your liking. I am sorry if I do not live in a world of rose colored glasses. I see things for what they are than how they should be. Racism is not as bad it once was. But it is still there and I am not defending it. I am just truthful about it. So, you have a great day:Hug2:

This post makes me sad. :( *hugs you super hard* I am sorry that working in the industry you've worked in has made you think that fetishization is okay because "well, it happens". :( That really sucks, and I'm sorry that you've had to go through that.

I'm going to stick with not being okay with being fetishized because of my race, though, because maybe I'm mote like Little Ming in that I do believe in a better future. I don't believe in contributing to something hateful just because many other people might do it. :)

Some encouragement for the wishful thinkers.

~150 years ago, Abraham Lincoln:

Today, we have Barack Obama.

We've come a long way. I think we can still go a long ways more. Keep wishing everyone. :Hug2:

This post is made of win.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
Unless you are IN the Caribbean, it's plain old 'Indian' unless the person is from Bengal or some place. Many Indian people in North America actually originate from Western India, like Goa or Gujarat, or the North, like Punjab. …

I notice that you live in Ontario, Canada. Unfortunately, here in the USA people still use the term "Indian" while in Canada you say "First Nations," which I feel is, at the very least, more accurate. Or at least less ridiculous than the term Christopher Columbus used when he mistakenly thought that he had landed in India, bless his heart. So in the USA, it's pretty common to say "East Indian" to make the distinction between someone from India and someone whose folks originally inhabited this country. (And, of course, when talking about people from the Caribbean, we often use the term "West Indian," depending on the island in question.)

Status
Not open for further replies.