The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Susan Gable said:
Well, I have to tell you, I spent a large amount of time last week with Ken Casper, a delightful man who writes for Harlequin Superromance as K. N. Casper. So we'll take men if you can write a story women want to read. :)

And if an editor tells you otherwise, invoke Ken's name. LOL. Of course, I don't know how men (there are a few more male romance writers besides Ken) handle the RWA gatherings. <G> I give those intrepid male souls who walk into a luncheon with app. 1800 women (all talking at once LOL!) a lot of credit. <G>

Susan G.

What Susan said.

And an interesting factoid is that Dean Koontz, before he was famous, as a Har/Sil writer!

If you get the chance to meet a variety of Harlequin writers, as I have through RWA, you'll find an amazingly diverse cross-section of people. Everything from high school dropouts to rocket scientists. Young, old, urban, small towners, etc. The only thing they have in common is the ability to write a story that grabs readers.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Ed Williams said:
...you don't think that "Sally the Screamer" wouldn't be the sort of heartfelt tear jerker that most women would love?

Ed, you know I love you, but...no. <G> It's a jerker, all right, but not quite a tear jerker. :D

Jim pointed out yesterday that Harlequin takes submissions from unagented writers (for most of their lines), so PA authors of romance, do some homework (I recommend checking the submission guidelines at www.eHarlequin.com ), read some of the lines, and if you think your new work might fit there, I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction. It's a big publisher who DOES take on a number of first-time authors every single year. :) They don't make you pay to be published, they'll give you free authors (more than 2), and you won't have to submit a list of friends/family members to sell to. :)

Hey, I didn't know that Dean Koontz had written for H/S. That's cool!

Susan G.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Oprah

I got an email this morning from a friend that is still able to post on the private boards at pa but has been banned from the other one. He asked if I had heard the news about “the three stooges” are going to be meeting with Oprah Winfrey about doing a show on publishamerica. He didn’t make it clear if they are going to be on her show or are just having a meeting with her. The latter is the impression I got. That would just take the cake! Everybody would think they were a great company because people are idiots and think just because you are on Oprah, you must be something. Brother!
Has anyone at all been using the addresses I provided or was that just a waste of time?
Kind of like publishing a book with PA. You just feel like an idiot after you do it? I'm so tired of PA being one step ahead of me all the time. Sorry if this seems angry or whatever, this news just Pi**** me off!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
T42 said:
Sheryl it's sad and probably won't last long on the thread. PA just doesn't care and these people don't get it!
Just so:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--Ken

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Susan Gable said:
Ed Williams said:
...you don't think that "Sally the Screamer" wouldn't be the sort of heartfelt tear jerker that most women would love?

Ed, you know I love you, but...no. <G> It's a jerker, all right, but not quite a tear jerker. :D

Jim pointed out yesterday that Harlequin takes submissions from unagented writers (for most of their lines), so PA authors of romance, do some homework (I recommend checking the submission guidelines at www.eHarlequin.com ), read some of the lines, and if you think your new work might fit there, I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction. It's a big publisher who DOES take on a number of first-time authors every single year. :) They don't make you pay to be published, they'll give you free authors (more than 2), and you won't have to submit a list of friends/family members to sell to. :)

Hey, I didn't know that Dean Koontz had written for H/S. That's cool!

Susan G.

yep, sometimes it's not all about the sex...

:Smack:

wait a minute - it's ALWAYS about the sex!

:Clap:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Sassenach said:
And an interesting factoid is that Dean Koontz, before he was famous, as a Har/Sil writer!

He was writing before Har/Sil, so he wrote Gothic romances. He used the Deanna Dwyer name (although I may have spelled that one wrong) and possible another one as well. If you can find copies, they're quite collectible. (His wife also wrote one under Gerda Ann Cerra or something like that, though she's never written another.)

In the 1980s, he wrote some longer books as Leigh Michaels, and those were reissued under his name. According to what I read, they were originally supposed to be published under a more feminine name instead of one of those "Is it a boy? Is it a girl?" names.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
I got an email this morning from a friend that is still able to post on the private boards at pa but has been banned from the other one. He asked if I had heard the news about “the three stooges” are going to be meeting with Oprah Winfrey about doing a show on publishamerica. He didn’t make it clear if they are going to be on her show or are just having a meeting with her. The latter is the impression I got. That would just take the cake! Everybody would think they were a great company because people are idiots and think just because you are on Oprah, you must be something. Brother!
Has anyone at all been using the addresses I provided or was that just a waste of time?
Kind of like publishing a book with PA. You just feel like an idiot after you do it? I'm so tired of PA being one step ahead of me all the time. Sorry if this seems angry or whatever, this news just Pi**** me off!

When monkeys fly is when they'll be on Oprah. Sounds like more hot air from the stooges.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Oprah and the New Three Stooges...

T42 said:
He asked if I had heard the news about “the three stooges” are going to be meeting with Oprah Winfrey about doing a show on publishamerica. He didn’t make it clear if they are going to be on her show or are just having a meeting with her. The latter is the impression I got.
I would guess that the New Three Stooges dearly want their authors to think that Oprah wants to interview them. Think about it - Oprah's book club, PA's management being on her program - what a good way to get PA authors to buy more books! I can see it now, "Wow, if I'm a top PA author I might get a chance to be on Oprah!" Those author self purchases would go through the roof...

One other thing re Oprah - if she did a show with the Stooges and did any kind of research for it beforehand, said show might not be the kind of publicity the Stooges need/want at this stage of the game...

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sassenach said:
When monkeys fly is when they'll be on Oprah. Sounds like more hot air from the stooges.
Let us hope but I haven't been that impressed with Oprah over the last couple of years. She has gotten to big for her britches (star stunk) and I wouldn't be a bit shocked if "the three trash monkies fly" onto her set. How in the world are they getting away with the crap they get away with? I'm going to do some serious writing of letters today, I am just livid about this. Just the thought of them makes my blood boil!

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
James D. Macdonald said:
Leaving your book in your desk drawer is a better deal than PublishAmerica. At least that way you won't have a smoking hole in your Visa card.

The only thing worse than remaining unpublished is being published badly.

AMEN!

I just had a book passed to me that is so badly published, I am turning it down for our collection. The cover is a matte paper with a black & white illustration that looks like a high school kid drew it, the "perfect binding" is not, the paper is cheap and the publisher non-existing. At first glance, I thought it was an ARC, but after googling the author and the website, I discovered it's the "actual book..." It's a fantasy, the author admits that in creative writing courses they were told they would never write publishable commercial fiction, and the kicker--they are selling it on ebay.

:Smack:

Which reminds me--I actually saw a couple of PA books for sale on ebay.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
That sounds like a lovely opportunity to do some public outreach and education -- for the Pickler.

I think perhaps we should contact the Frederick, Maryland Post and see if they want to do another article on the event.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Ed Williams said:
One other thing re Oprah - if she did a show with the Stooges and did any kind of research for it beforehand, said show might not be the kind of publicity the Stooges need/want at this stage of the game...
Ed, that was my first thought, this could really backfire on them and she could even invite someone who is against PA but then society loves drama. I have seen negative press make people flock to buy it. Maybe we shouldn't even talk about this anymore. It could just give them more to talk about, boost their sick ego's.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
Let us hope but I haven't been that impressed with Oprah over the last couple of years. She has gotten to big for her britches (star stunk) and I wouldn't be a bit shocked if "the three trash monkies fly" onto her set. How in the world are they getting away with the crap they get away with? I'm going to do some serious writing of letters today, I am just livid about this. Just the thought of them makes my blood boil!

Couple of things to keep in mind when you write those letters:

1. The expose shows are seeking a good story, with lots of 'dirt' and conflict, more than a tale of woe.

2. I think you'd be more successful targeting show that do this, rather than sending out a mass mailing.

3. Don't get mad, get even.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sassenach said:
Couple of things to keep in mind when you write those letters:

1. The expose shows are seeking a good story, with lots of 'dirt' and conflict, more than a tale of woe.

2. I think you'd be more successful targeting show that do this, rather than sending out a mass mailing.

3. Don't get mad, get even.
I agree Sassenach and I will calm down before I write them. I want to sound professional not like the raving lunatic I am at the moment :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
T42 said:
He asked if I had heard the news about “the three stooges” are going to be meeting with Oprah Winfrey about doing a show on publishamerica.

They may be recycling something from two years ago. Back then they were going to present a list of their top sellers from a month to Ms. Winfrey (books you buy yourself count!).

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PA meets with Oprah Winfrey[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PublishAmerica delegation will sit down with OPRAH WINFREY, in the margins of an American Association of Publishers meeting next month. The Oprah production team has requested to review a number of PublishAmerica titles.[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are happy to announce that PublishAmerica will make a donation to Oprah Winfrey's charity organization Angel Network. In Oprah Winfrey's own words, "There are 2.1 billion children in the world. Millions of them are orphans, soldiers and sex slaves. 30,000 children under the age of five die of preventable causes every day. You can save one of their lives. The world's children need your help." [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PublishAmerica has decided to:[/font]

• [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Donate ten percent (10%) of the proceeds of ALL BOOKS that we sell in THE NEXT THIRTY DAYS (January 21-February 21), to Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Present to Oprah when we meet with her next month, a list of all book titles, and their authors, that have generated the donation, in order of number of copies sold.[/font]

I'd be fascinated to hear about the current scheme. (In any case, I'm certain Ms. Winfrey's production assistants are as good at using Google as I am -- and they'll find that the first link after PublishAmerica's pages themselves when they search on PublishAmerica is the Washington Post story.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
James D. Macdonald said:
They may be recycling something from two years ago. Back then they were going to present a list of their top sellers from a month to Ms. Winfrey (books you buy yourself count!).

I'd be fascinated to hear about the current scheme. (In any case, I'm certain Ms. Winfrey's production assistants are as good at using Google as I am -- and they'll find that the first link after PublishAmerica's pages themselves when they search on PublishAmerica is the Washington Post story.
Wow Uncle Jim, you are my hero. You are like having a big ol' book of knowledge at my feet. Big smooches to you. I think you are right. Ha, this is funny. They have obviously tried this before and it didn't work!

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
T42 said:
...“the three stooges” are going to be meeting with Oprah Winfrey about doing a show on publishamerica. He didn’t make it clear if they are going to be on her show or are just having a meeting with her. The latter is the impression I got. That would just take the cake!

I think they merely want to be able to add "As seen on Oprah!!!" to their advertising like all the cool spammers do.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
T42 said:
Ed, that was my first thought, this could really backfire on them and she could even invite someone who is against PA but then society loves drama. I have seen negative press make people flock to buy it. Maybe we shouldn't even talk about this anymore. It could just give them more to talk about, boost their sick ego's.

If anyone has Oprah's email address, write to her and suggest that Kevin, Diana, and Victoria be asked to appear as guests at the same time. If I'm invited, I assure you that I'd go.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
MadScientistMatt said:
I think they merely want to be able to add "As seen on Oprah!!!" to their advertising like all the cool spammers do.
I know they are just scheming again but it's ads such as these that pull unexpected souls into their sick web. People think, "oh Laura Bush, Jamie Farr, etc. My book would be carried in all the B&N's."

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
akaa1a said:
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/lounge/8784.htm

I truly can't take this anymore!
Option 1 or 2? How 'bout Option 3....RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!
It looks to me as if this Option thing may be backfiring (unless of course PA really is planning to transition to a more open vanity model). The supposed meticulous editing of every ms. has been one of the major things they tout as distinguishing them from "the PODs" (as opposed to "the PODs"). And defenders of PA pretty consistently cite "editing" as one of the things that marks their publisher as "traditional". How can the Big Three (or Six or Eight or whatever it is now, with all the partners) imagine that this won't shake their vic--er, their authors' confidence in the wonderful world of Poz?

Ol' Shemp was fond of going on about how horrible it was that editors at Big Publishers forced "stylizing" on their authors, thus destroying the author's voice. Maybe the greedy PA stooges thought that most people would agree.I bet they won't.

- Victoria

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
T42 said:
I know they are just scheming again but it's ads such as these that pull unexpected souls into their sick web. People think, "oh Laura Bush, Jamie Farr, etc. My book would be carried in all the B&N's."

They count on the naivete of people. However, it's hard to believe there are many people who'd be impressed by the Jamie Farr reference...though I suppose a really faded celebrity is still a celebrity.

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
DaveKuzminski said:
If anyone has Oprah's email address, write to her and suggest that Kevin, Diana, and Victoria be asked to appear as guests at the same time. If I'm invited, I assure you that I'd go.
Dave her email address is listed with the list of media addresses I did up in the thread "Bringing PA down with addresses" and you can send a letter about a subject matter on her web page. I just don't think too many authors think these addresses were a plus on this board. I use them and I write letters and that is why I put them on, so others could write and get info out about PA but it might have just been a pipe dream on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.