What are you reading?

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Agent." The MC in one of my novels reads that when he is twelve and hoping to someday become a spy. I had to choose a spy novel that had been published at that time (1952) and I want to know the work well enough to learn his youthful reading might have influenced his later life. It's an old writing style, but I'm really enjoying it.

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Exhausting!

Am now about done with my first Harlan Coben novel The Woods. I like his writing style.

Jacquelyn Hyde

Mistress of Puns
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (It was a short book!)

I just finished that one too. It came highly recommended to me, and I found myself really disappointed. It just felt like all set up then SUDDENLY CLIMAX! I wish it'd been longer. It just didn't feel like I got a chance to get immersed in the world it was over so quick.

I'm out of state, checked a book out on someone local's library card to read while I'm here. So I'm trying to quickly devour The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. All three are in the same book, but I'll probably only have time to finish the first one... if any.

I'd heard a lot about these books but had never been interested enough to pay for a copy. I like them all right. It's a pretty enjoyable but... trashy read so far. If 'trashy' is the right word. Feels like guilty pleasure reading.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"Swallow" by DM Thomas

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch.

The first book(Lies of Locke Lamora) was awesome and I'm loving this one just as much. The books are about a group of thieves who con the rich(among other things.) Lynch's characters are great and he knows how to spin a story. He's quickly becoming a favorite author of mine.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Loved those books! Can't wait for the next one. :D

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It's my first Dickens novel. It's going pretty well. I just wish I was a Victorian lawyer, so I could understand the jokes...

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone.

My problem is reading it WITHOUT the scenes from the movie in my mind. I'm very impressed with JK's wordsmithing aimed at young adults and can see why it and the others became so popular.

images

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson....

....bout half way done and it is ok. Ye Olde way of dialogue is beginning to wear thin on me. It is almost like it is a parody of the genre. Granted it was published in 1977 so it is a little understandable. But still.....

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I'm about to start The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Knowing how much I loved the tenth in the series, what would I think of the first? It is most definitely not a disappointment. I might even like it better. So if I see anything of #2 through #9, I'll grab those too.

Someone on another forum asked me who I'd cast in a movie as Mme Ramotswe. I chose Shirley Hemphill, not knowing she's dead. Oh well. I hear a movie (or more) was made and the actress they chose did a great job.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Just finished The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan. Needed some lighter reading. Pretty good series, though now I see why so many people were upset with the movie.

Not sure what to read next.

rhetoric by rosalie

Registered
Reaction score
Pirates of the Caribbean The Price of Freedom by A. C. Crispin
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
On Writing by Stephen King

Last edited:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished My Year With Eleanor by Noelle Hancock. Non-fiction about a journalist\celebrity blogger who loses her job. After realizing how lost she is without her job, and how she had lost herself in her job, she decides to follow in the footsteps of her hero, Eleanor Roosevelt. She faces a fear every day for a year. It was funny, poignant, and very relatable. Love a book that will make me cry...then 5 pages later, literally laugh out loud. Excellent book.

And keeping with my non-fic kick, I started reading Agatha Christie's Secret Notebook by John Curran. Christie is one of my all-time fave authors, so I am finding it fascinating.