I got an acceptance - what happens now?

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I’ve received an acceptance mail from an independent (but very reputable) publisher. This was from an unagented sub and I wasn’t really expecting it to go anywhere, so obviously I’m a very happy bunny right now.

However…I’ve never got this far before and really don’t know what to expect next. They’re going to send me an offer letter – what exactly is this? Is this where they tell me what advance they’re offering and I sign a contract, or is that later on?

Sorry if this should be blindingly obvious but this is new ground for me.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Probably the only way to know for sure what the "offer letter" is about is reading it when it turns up. All publishers work a little bit differently in terms of the admin side and what they send you when, so it's hard for anyone who isn't at that same publisher to tell you what to expect.

But if you are unsure what comes next, ask them. Read the offer letter first and then ask them any questions you still have after that. They know it's your first time with them or any publisher, so they won't expect you to magically know everything.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah that makes sense, thanks.

It's just weird - I'm in my 40s with a fairly senior corporate job, I'm not used to not knowing how stuff works in a business context. Feels a bit like I'm walking in the dark, if you know what I mean.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're in the UK, so you are able to join our Society of Authors now you have an offer in hand. It costs £100 or so, which in your case will be money well-spent: the SoA gives free contract advice to its members, and it's amazing. Very detailed, thoughtful, and pertinent. It's what you'll need if you don't have an agent.

I assume that you have thoroughly researched this publisher, of course: if you haven't then do so now, before you let them know what you think about their offer.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That sounds ideal, thanks - assume this is something you're involved in? I hope so, as I respect your opinion.

Yes, the publisher has been researched to within an inch of its life and found to be good :)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Congratulations, first of all.

As for the next step, it'll probably be an offer letter. This might be an excellent time to consider getting an agent, which is a lot easier to do with an offer in hand. Yes, they'll take a commission--but a good agent is the best ally a writer can have, and they're in it for your whole career, not just one book. If you have any particular agent in mind--or if, ideally, you have some already reading your work or interested in it--you could drop them an email headed something attention-getting like "Serious offer in hand--Would love your help."

You don't have to, and shouldn't, respond on the spot to the publisher's offer. Any respectable publisher will understand your need to study it and have it looked over.

And good luck to you! Life's full of surprises, and they ain't all bad.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Pete, I'm a member of the SoA and it's a wonderful organisation. So helpful to writers, and well worth belonging to.

If you'd like you could PM me the name of the publisher and I'll let you know if I know anything interesting about them.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Pete, I'm a member of the SoA and it's a wonderful organisation. So helpful to writers, and well worth belonging to.

If you'd like you could PM me the name of the publisher and I'll let you know if I know anything interesting about them.

I agree with the SoA membership. I found out about them AFTER I signed my first contracts (I didn't have an agent and did it 'blind'). I was able to join as an 'associate' (you can request to upgrade to full 'member' after your book is published). Since then they've vetted all my contracts and given me great advice. It cost £90, but it's very well spent money IMHO. Otherwise, I'd say read what the letter says and try not to sign away all your sub-rights unless it's worthwhile to do so. I did, and though I really like my main publisher...I wish I'd at least tried to negotiate on what I allowed them to have. Gotta keep checking if they have a piece of my soul, as well. LOL. :)

AND...last but certainly not least...CONGRATULATIONS. Never stop :partyguy: For the rest of your life you'll know that you've achieved what thousands of writers only dream of! Well done, you! Fabulous news.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
On the issue of subsidiary rights: if you have no agent, and no way of exploiting them, then it might well be the best thing to sign them over to the offering publisher--IF it has an active rights department which will make more sales for you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and foreign and translation, and serial rights, audio books, large print... the list goes on and on.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, my contract arrived today - yeah, I definitely need some help with this. SoA membership has been applied for!

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve received an acceptance mail from an independent (but very reputable) publisher. This was from an unagented sub and I wasn’t really expecting it to go anywhere, so obviously I’m a very happy bunny right now.

However…I’ve never got this far before and really don’t know what to expect next. They’re going to send me an offer letter – what exactly is this? Is this where they tell me what advance they’re offering and I sign a contract, or is that later on?

Sorry if this should be blindingly obvious but this is new ground for me.

Mine gave me an offer email with an outlined version of the contract, and I signed that right away. It just means you're not going to sign a deal somewhere else before you get a chance to look at their contract.

They sent me the real contract a few days later, and I signed it a few days later after reading it carefully and deciding that the publisher was legit. It probably would have been good to have a lawyer look it, but eh ... it felt right so I jumped right in.

Next, they had me fill out a big sheet with character information and descriptions, favorite scenes in the book, and other information like what sort of promotional stuff I was interested in doing. They also asked for a picture. I didn't have anything professional, so I just took one of myself.

It's been a couple months since then, and today was the first contact I had with them. I was 45 minutes late to my first phone meeting with them because of a massive screw up on my end. Don't do that, lol... It turned out okay though. We talked about the cover design and even looked at models, and I found out when the first edits are coming back. It's a surreal, awesome feeling when you get to talk to them. Look forward to it! :)

Those are my experiences so far. Big congratulations, btw. :partyguy: :)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice one Andi, congrats to you too!

So I applied to join SoA and sent off the contract and it came back with a long, detailed, thorough and professional commentary and advice TWO DAYS later! I have never been so impressed. Every penny well spent and then some, thanks for putting me on to them OH.

Although to give my publisher their props, they also recommended them to me in the cover letter that came with the contract, which has got to be a good sign.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nice one Andi, congrats to you too!

So I applied to join SoA and sent off the contract and it came back with a long, detailed, thorough and professional commentary and advice TWO DAYS later! I have never been so impressed. Every penny well spent and then some, thanks for putting me on to them OH.

The SoA is great, isn't it? I'm glad you've found it helpful. The annual membership fee is nothing compared to what a solicitor's advice would have been.

Although to give my publisher their props, they also recommended them to me in the cover letter that came with the contract, which has got to be a good sign.

Really? I'm surprised. The SoA doesn't usually recommend publishers, it just discusses them.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No sorry, other way around - the publisher recommended I contact SoA for help with the contract.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I see--thank you for the clarification. My mistake!