Witch+Hunter Help Wanted, oh and we have concept art!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You know, I've known a couple of guys like you. Best intensions but they sadly crashed and burned. It's so hard these days to break into the biz. It's almost as hard as getting into acting, which I also tried. You have to do more, concept art is nice, but do you have any actual playable demo available? Do you have any of the game actually created?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've known a couple of guys like you. Best intensions but they sadly crashed and burned.
The thing most people miss, though, is that it is OK to crash and burn. It isn't a tragedy.

So what if they have a less than 10% chance of succeeding? It is still worthwhile trying. If they all spend a good solid year on the project and it doesn't go anywhere - so what ? They've still learned a hell of a lot more than their peers who sat on their butts learning the theory of games development. Speaking from the point of view of someone who manages software developers - I'd much rather see a resume with a year as part of a failed (but dynamic!) startup than see a year of twiddling their thumbs in a boring job.

Yes - they are all giving up solid paying work for a high risk opportunity. That's OK - as long as people understand the very real risks and the very possible benefits.

I just want to make sure that everything is done to give ventures like this the best chance possible of succeeding.

Good luck !

Mac

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I suppose you're right. It's a good idea you're working on. I would love to see it go somewhere like I want to see it from all the lovely startups. I'm not saying they will fail, I'm saying they should put more into it...Least ways, that's what I think I'm saying...

DoomBunny

Meatbag
Registered
Reaction score
The thing most people miss, though, is that it is OK to crash and burn. It isn't a tragedy.

Absolutely. You can learn a lot from trying and failing. I think it's important to have realistic expectations though. It's better to start small and make genuine progress than to over-reach and spend all your time reinventing the wheel.

as long as people understand the very real risks and the very possible benefits.

The only benefit is experience, and that's so easy to get (or at least share) that it's insane to try for a startup when exactly the same result could be achieved as a mod team. You won't make any money but you won't spend any either.

Having said that my concern is not that they're going to try and fail. What worries me is that they're being unintentionally misled by an ambitious and passionate team leader who has no idea what he's doing. Hopefully I'm wrong, but all indications seem to suggest otherwise.

I'm also a little irked by the constant flood of people claiming to be game designers who demean and disrespect the work of real professionals with their disregard for experience. I didn't learn to paint by scoffing at the old masters. But that's just a pet peeve. :D

Unless Tom wants to continue the discussion I'd rather not hijack his thread any further. I'd love to take it up in another thread if anyone's interested.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW - I know you are in Geelong, but in Sydney there's a seminar next week on 'Raising Capital for SMEs'.

A highly qualified panel combining experience from SMEs which have made the transition as well as capital providers and other experts, will participate with the audience in a moderated discussion.
It is organised by the NSW.net group .. I'm guessing there would be an equivalent one for Victoria, probably with similar seminars.

This kind of venture will require a lot of learning in plenty of business oriented subjects like this as well - so good luck !

If you happen to be in Sydney on the 11th Feb, feel free to drop in on the NSW.net event. Google it for details.

Hope things work out.

Mac

Last edited:

Tomothy_Mayhem

Holy Emperor of the Imperium
Registered
Reaction score
BTW - I know you are in Geelong, but in Sydney there's a seminar next week on 'Raising Capital for SMEs'.

It is organised by the NSW.net group .. I'm guessing there would be an equivalent one for Victoria, probably with similar seminars.

This kind of venture will require a lot of learning in plenty of business oriented subjects like this as well - so good luck !

If you happen to be in Sydney on the 11th Feb, feel free to drop in on the NSW.net event. Google it for details.

Hope things work out.

Mac

Thanks,

I won't be, but still

Status
Not open for further replies.