The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all!!

I'm still tired. Or tired again. I can't tell. My real job event was good yesterday, though I was a little peeved because I missed the big prize corporate was giving by four stinking people. Grrr.

X-cin, you've gotten some great advice. I'm glad you got to talk to sp. fwiw, oldest monkey is also 8, finishing 2nd grade, and she has asked and been told no. She's just not old enough, forthe reasons haupe said. She would be shocked if something went badly, and once it's online, you can't take it back.

Thalia -- you sound very mature for your age. And yeah, kids do sometime try to sneak about online. A friend of mine caught her oldest (11) with a forbidden fb account this year. Funniest thing is that he thought he'd get away with it, when his dad is head of computer security for a big state agency. They changed all of his passwords and locked him out
Of every computer in the house. He hasn't been back on since.

This mommy stuff is hard.

Ol, love that pic!

I have enough ideas now to really dive into my revisions tomorrow. Wish me
Luck!

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the Spiffy hair love! SO isn't real keen on the hot pink, but he says it's my hair and he loves me and thinks I am beautiful no matter what I do to my hair. (yeah he's that sweet) :)

I am not going to weigh in on the kiddos and internet convo. Most of you know how I raise my kids and the kind of individual my 15 yr old is. She has had access since she was around 10 and I have yet to find issues...

Spent a wonderful day with SO doing nothing but lying in bed most of the day...it was blissful and I didn't want to come home... We are planning on going to the B & B in 2 wks. and I can't wait!

Gonna check email and then head to bed...

*smooches*

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
And here's Sunday Night photobombs from meeee

581317_3946441143541_1355427701_3463050_1200519656_n.jpg

576455_3946405582652_1355427701_3463018_697565625_n.jpg

578973_3946420743031_1355427701_3463034_781196738_n.jpg

536076_3946431223293_1355427701_3463046_1243913380_n.jpg

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
love the fotos nk! your children are
gorgeous!

and thanks to everyone for their thoughts
and input. we all have different opinions
and it is most definitely different with each
child and family. i think i just felt sort of blind
sided and "not on top of it". now i feel more
prepared since the discussion had occurred.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
ktaylor, I wish my daughter had friends in the neighborhood, but beyond a girl of 5 and one who is 15, there isn't anyone else. We don't live in one of the kid-populated suburbs. Also, her friends are scattered all over the city, the closest lives about three miles away, so the parents will drive kids to others houses on weekends, but after school, it doesn't work.

Well, yeah, I'm not being so literal as to think everyone has a friend on the street/block. I only did for a couple years before she moved away. But I was fine doing a bunch of play on my own, with my toys, crafts, reading a book, whatever. I didn't get to hang out with my friends after school at all during the elementary years. I was the oldest kid at daycare after a while, so I helped out with the little ones.

Junior high and high school, I still wasn't with friends after school for various reasons, but it was okay. I only saw friends after school at all once I had a car, because I was the only one of my friends with a car, so I took people home.

Point was, there's nothing wrong with a simple life for kids. It's good to learn how to entertain yourself, and it's good to be encouraged to do healthy indivdual activities like reading. There's enough social life at school.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of 8-year-olds having e-mail makes me feel very old.

What's wrong with the way it was when I was a kid? You come home after school (provided you're not stuck in daycare) and play with a friend on your street until it's getting dark or dinner, whichever comes first, if you don't have any or much homework that day. Then the evening was either TV or reading a book next to my mother or over at my grandparents' house.

I wasn't on the phone with any friend after school until high school, and even then it wasn't a lot. We had plenty of time together during school.

I suppose me and my BFF would've e-mailed in this age instead of sending letters back and forth over summer vacay while she was in CO with family, but maybe we would've still sent letters just for the neatness of getting real mail, anyway. 'Cause as a kid, you never get mail unless it's a card for your birthday.

All this. I did talk on the phone, a ton, once I was in high school, and I wouldn't trade it for email. My poor mom finally got call waiting, because her friends would call and get a busy signal--for hours! Our deal was, as long as homework was done, I could be on the phone. But if the other line clicked, I had to take it, in case it was for my mom.

And letters! When I went away to camp, I always got letters from my parents.

I DO feel old! But somehow nostalgic. My parents used to say that they grew up in easier times. Now, I feel the same way.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Storms have been rolling through on and off all night. It's also been killing my power on and off in small increments at a time.Just enough time for my fan to go off and the battery backup down here to kick on and start beeping at me. Why do they have to make those beeping so loud? It wakes me up.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of 8-year-olds having e-mail makes me feel very old.

What's wrong with the way it was when I was a kid? You come home after school (provided you're not stuck in daycare) and play with a friend on your street until it's getting dark or dinner, whichever comes first, if you don't have any or much homework that day. Then the evening was either TV or reading a book next to my mother or over at my grandparents' house.

I wasn't on the phone with any friend after school until high school, and even then it wasn't a lot. We had plenty of time together during school.

I suppose me and my BFF would've e-mailed in this age instead of sending letters back and forth over summer vacay while she was in CO with family, but maybe we would've still sent letters just for the neatness of getting real mail, anyway. 'Cause as a kid, you never get mail unless it's a card for your birthday.

Exactly this.
Not to forget...passing notes in class, all folded up into a tight little triangle.
Back then you could look forward to getting letters in the post. Real letters.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
I liked picking pretty paper.

Yeah, we kept up letter writing when we were separated all the way through her stint in the Navy post h.s.. It was really cool getting mail from Iceland or Greece during her deployments (amazing how fast military letter post is, btw). Wasn't until she and her hubby were out and settled in OH that we did phone calls, and only once I had free long-distance service in the house. She has an e-mail address, but she never looks at it, lol.

I exchanged letters for over a year with a h.s. friend that moved and a college friend later, too. It's a bummer when pen pals disappear.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
G'mornin purgs! Have to head to work in a few, so won't be able to catch up until after 8, but I wanted to get this in now:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVE (observed)!!!

I give thee a Scarlett and a Lucy:

BlackWidow.jpg

Lucy.jpg

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bugger. I almost forgot!

Happy Birthday, Steve!

michelle-rodriguez-570.jpg

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I passed a note in class one single time... and it got picked up by the teacher. I was 7. :tongue

Anyway, happy birthday, Steve!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Note-passing takes technique, Tally! You can't expect to get it right the first time! But just think, better to get caught passing a note than sending a text. You don't want your phone confiscated.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
:partyguy: :partyguy: Steve!! Hope you have a great birthday!!

Big day here - kindergarten screening.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday Steve!

(*)(*)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Not much to report here except that the ghost hunting meeting went well. We are getting a new website.

And- for Steve's Birthday- a blast from the past- a beautiful Vargas print!

vargasforsteve.gif

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
oooh, sammy I love Vargas. I've always really liked those classic pinups.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Vargas is one of my favs. He did a Lady Dracula which I just love- but it had a couple of bits that weren't appropriate for here, so I couldn't post it.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
In Grade 6, we had laptops in class on an almost-constant basis, so we just emailed each other in class.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Steve!!! :partyguy:

Spent yesterday helping the husband dig up the yard so we can move the black raspberry bed. Am sore. But black raspberries are so worth it (especially when made into wine). Then I weeded the blueberries. Ah... summer.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As you wish

long night last night, but I made it to work!

Anyway on internet and e-mail I don't have any say what so ever just an anecdote. We got our first computer when I was 12, before then I used the library computers but didn't have an e-mail address. My parents, we were all living together in my grandparents house at this point, called me down stairs and asked me to put it together. So I did. I had my own e-mail account set up and had to teach both of my parents how to use the internet which really there isn't much excuse for that they are 21 years older then I (they both will be 50 this year). Anyway they both are still horrid technology people and I always ran circles around them where the computer was concerned going so far as partitioning the hard drive (back before it was a simple task) and hiding their stuff in different partitions. They would call me down "because there files moved again" and I would be like "this will take me a while to find" they would wander off and I would play on the internet and just alt + tab out if I heard them coming back "Nope haven't found it yet."

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to RAB's little one! What kind of screening is it? They don't do it in my district, I don't think. Or at least it's not mandatory. Is it for private schools or to access readiness?

ETA: I started using email when I was 25. I was a professional web editor at 26. It was the beginning of the mass Internet era, although in fact, the Internet technically began on the exact day that I was born when ARPAnet originally was hooked up. I'm the same age as the Internet! Sounds young but it was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.