Game where each life earns points for future lives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I am looking for a game where you start every life with the same basic stats, but your achievements in one life unlock options and accumulate ability points for future lives. Not a rogue-like, but more of an RPG or interactive story game. So far the closest thing I've had recommended to me is Way of The Samurai 3 and 4.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Not a rogue-alike?

Cause only game I can think of that has that feature is The Consuming Shadow.

...a rogue-alike...

Sorry.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For future lives? Not for the rest of the life concerned?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
In Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO), an MMORPG, each life of your toon grants bonuses to future lives. For example, if you have a Sorcerer past life, then in your future lives, you get more mana points. There are other increases. For each past live your stats increase somewhat. Therefore, a level five Paladin that has six past lives is a much stronger toon that a level five pally on it's first life.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
For future lives? Not for the rest of the life concerned?
Unlocking stuff in the current life is ok, as long as it's unlocked as well in future lives. But some things, like alternate backstory options, alternate avatar appearances or classes, etc. only make sense as options for the next life. Think of those "new game plus" games where the best endings are impossible on the first playthrough, possibly even surviving to the end is impossible on the first playthrough. Plus if you die in the game you have to start over from the beginning, or at least there is a significant advantage to restarting rather than continuing.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Online, there's Kingdom of Loathing; with each ascension (after you win), you can choose one trait to lock in permanently for future characters.

Dunno if that's what you're looking for, though it is a ridiculously addictive game.
It sounds like you have to complete the game to do that, so it's a normal game plus mode? Still kinda cool though.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Kingdom Of Loathing is a turn-based game where you get a limited number of turns per day that roll over at midnight. There's no dying when you run out of HP, but I don't remember the penalties for it. It's been a while since I played. When you beat the game, you "ascend" and get to start a new game with a different class (if you choose) and various bonus options such as gameplay modes with restrictions (hardcore, no food allowed, no booze allowed, etc) and bonuses (chance of finding a luck item randomly, boost from food/booze/ etc). You can buy one or two skills you learned from the previous life for permanent use, even if it doesn't apply to your chosen class in that ascension. They stack over multiple ascensions. You keep your items over multiple ascensions although you won't immediately have access to them on a new run. It's an addictive little game.

I'm pretty sure in Dead Rising, you get to carry over stats between lives. Not sure though.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
It is sort of rogue-like, though.

Um, no, not really. It's a strategy RPG in playstyle, if I recall correctly. While "roguelike" is a fuzzy concept, a game with distinct exploration and combat modes and an entirely predesigned level layout doesn't qualify. (I have spent far too many hours of my life reading rec.games.roguelike.development . . .)

It's also not quite what the OP was asking for: subsequent lives/playthroughs have access to more plot/story and some additional dungeon areas, but I don't recall the main PC being heavily powered up. Granted, it's been a few years since I played it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Unlocking stuff in the current life is ok, as long as it's unlocked as well in future lives. But some things, like alternate backstory options, alternate avatar appearances or classes, etc. only make sense as options for the next life. Think of those "new game plus" games where the best endings are impossible on the first playthrough, possibly even surviving to the end is impossible on the first playthrough. Plus if you die in the game you have to start over from the beginning, or at least there is a significant advantage to restarting rather than continuing.

That...

Yeah, that's Consuming Shadow. It's almost impossible to win either way, but if you've died a few dozen times, you'll have the abilities to finally win.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Um, no, not really. It's a strategy RPG in playstyle, if I recall correctly. While "roguelike" is a fuzzy concept, a game with distinct exploration and combat modes and an entirely predesigned level layout doesn't qualify. (I have spent far too many hours of my life reading rec.games.roguelike.development . . .)

You're probably right about that. I know very little about roguelikes after all.

It's also not quite what the OP was asking for: subsequent lives/playthroughs have access to more plot/story and some additional dungeon areas, but I don't recall the main PC being heavily powered up. Granted, it's been a few years since I played it.

I'm pretty sure subsequent playthroughs were easier for me. I didn't even finish the game before I first restarted with carryovers. But my memories on that are fuzzy as well. No new abilities, though. I'm fairly certain on that.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
You're probably right about that. I know very little about roguelikes after all.

I've played a fair number of them, but only finished two of the lesser-known ones (GearHead and Powder, and I think I had to savescum to complete Powder). They are difficult games. I've seen hundreds of characters die on my screen. ;P

I'm pretty sure subsequent playthroughs were easier for me. I didn't even finish the game before I first restarted with carryovers. But my memories on that are fuzzy as well. No new abilities, though. I'm fairly certain on that.

A check with GameFAQs indicates that you're right: there's some sort of experience that carries through when you restart the game, and can be used to level up the characters.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My only real problem with roguelikes is that most of them have no story; I'm not very fond of games with no story, and the small amount of patience I have for storyless games I'd rather spend on sims. My favorite roguelike, Azure Dreams, is my favorite specifically because it has some story (which is a large part of what makes it a very non-typical roguelike).

Thank you all for the recommendations! :) More are still welcome if anyone thinks of any. Meanwhile I'll check these out; probably Dragon Quarter first, but I'll look into the others too.

CloudSurfer

Registered
Reaction score
Do you like tactical RPGs?
Maybe check out the Disgaea series.
They're not for everyone but the reincarnation/transmigration feature plays heavily in maxing out your characters and learning new skills or spells.

While the main story can be beat at regular levels, around 60-80, most of the post game requires you to be at level 9,999 with multiple reincarnation. (That was not a typo.) The stat caps are insane. Depending on the game your caps could be in the millions or billion range. You can also level up your weapons and armor. Not enough challenge? You could pass a Stronger Enemies Bill, where all enemies are increased by 20% with the max at 400%.

The Disgaea games do have stories but they don't take itself seriously. There's multiple endings, dark humor, and no fourth wall.

Mao (D3): Having Chapter 1 as the final chapter...
What an economical game!
Muhahahahah! :evil

Sometimes it does get repetitive but it's addictive and a major time sink.

Plus there's exploding penguins. :)

CloudSurfer

Registered
Reaction score
I love Disgaea. They made a direct sequel to the first one. I want to play it but I haven't finished exploring the third game and I only beat the main story for the fourth.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't Tales of Symphonia do something like this? You earned points in battle, and on a new game you can spend those points on things to either make the game easier or harder.

For instance, you had to find and activate save points the first time around. So you can spend grade to keep all the ones you unlocked open on the new game.

You can also do things like retain skills, titles (which grant certain stat bonuses), recipes, increase or decrease your EXP earner in battle and your HP. It's a bit clunky though, nothing terribly specific (like, it's all or nothing with the skills)

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I've been playing Dragon Quarter, and it's definitely interesting, but it's kicking my ass! T_T I haven't played a turn-based game with this combination of sheer grind and harsh death penalties in years.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe no one here has mentioned rogue legacy. Because, truly, it sounds like you were asking about Rogue Legacy.

Like it's title suggests, it does have rogue-like elements, but each time you die, your accomplishments can carry over to the next life.

Status
Not open for further replies.