Okay Parents: Resolving an incident and argument with your child.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For #2, as someone who DID find out her parent was into some... let's just say heavy shit..

Well, you're asking from the parent's perspective, aren't you? In my real life situation, my mother was so damn convinced her group was doing the right thing, that it didn't even occur to her that it wasn't. Sort of like how religious cults sweep away their member's basis of logic and rationality, and replace it with zeal and fanaticism. From her perspective, nothing was wrong with bringing her children into that world, because she just couldn't see that we were exactly the type of children her group was fighting against.

I know I'm being fairly euphemistic. It's not an exact parallel to the situation you're trying to set up, Andre. But consider that the parent is physically and emotionally unable to recognize that their group is against their child's group. That they just can't see through the logic of it, no matter how screamingly obvious it is to everyone.

Kind of like when a kid is gay, and their parents still go into denial. But way more complicated. Can your parent just refuse to see that the child is in the other group? Even when it smacks them in the face?

In my case, my mother was too far gone into the other side. I was 12, and I already knew that. I knew I was on my own for getting out of there; before the rest of the group realized I wasn't one of them, that I'd never be one of them.

Just consider those layers for your story. The parent can just blithely assume the youth would follow in their footsteps (as most parents do). And the youth can be plotting something entirely different the whole time.

Religion, friendship, power, faith, community... they all do very weird things to people, and sometimes they go wrong.

-----

For #1, I was that child. During that *points up*. My mother didn't notice. And I wasn't really dead inside -- I was disappearing in plain sight, on purpose. In my own calculated little way -- the more I spoke or interacted with them, the more dangerous it was.

I remember once taking a piece of white chalk and running it down my cheek -- it was the exact same color pale I was.

And I used to sneak through the dark at half past midnight and take a slice of bread from the fridge, and perhaps a sliver of cheese. Something they wouldn't notice. Something so I could eat, and stay strong, and stay focused on escape. It was dangerous, and as an adult, I cringe to think of a child, especially my own child, going through such lengths and duplicity to stay healthy.

But for your story, consider that other layer too -- that the kid is doing it on purpose. For what purpose, that depends on your story... but for me, it was safer.

And to all those who suggested you take your kid to the doctor when they act like that -- hell yes.

Assuming the kid will trust the doctor. I wouldn't have. They'd have been working for the people who would have brought me in -- the bad guys. There were no good guys in my life. Doctors are supposed to be, and as an adult, despite a healthy dose of skepticism about medical care replacing good parenting, I'd like to imagine doctors can be trusted.

It just depends on the circumstance. We were in a very, very small town. They quite literally did work for the bad guys. I was taken in, once, and I was never left alone with a doctor or a nurse or an aide -- and of course I kept my mouth shut, because what're you going to do?

Andre, consider if that visit with the doctor in your novel would put the kid in danger, especially if he/she is in a different group than his/her parent.

It sounds like an interesting storyline.

I know you've heard "use your imagination" one too many times, but one of these days, send me a PM. I'm genuinely curious why that doesn't work for you -- it comes so easily to me, putting myself in various other situations or places or emotional conundrums.

Then again, I had years of practice doing that as a teenager.

Good luck,

~ Anna

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
#1: I don't know if you are a parent, so forgive any assumptions. A parent who is worth being called a parent, will know their child. They may not know everthing their child does or knows, but they will recognize something is "off." By the same token, they will know the best way to learn what is bothering them. With my first, I had to tease it out of him. My second had no filters and would just blurt it out.

In this scenario, my response is slightly different from some others. Call it an aversion to blindly trusting "authority figures," but my first instinct would not be to call a doctor. I would try to learn as much as I could first, since you did not describe any immediate medical crisis. Part of that is direct experience. My youngest had a relatively rare medical condition(called a horse shoe kidney) that caused strange symptoms. We did the doctor-go-round for years, most of the medical professionals thought we were over-reacting, until one excellent doctor discovered the condition, because she believed us, knowing that we knew our child better than anyone.

The point is that the parent should be able to narrow down what might be wrong, then seek other assistance if needed.Seriously consider what Anna (thedark) said also.

#2: Same principle: What is more important to the parent, the group or the child? There are things my children have no idea about, but if they asked, I would tell them. But again if there are multiple children, there are multiple scenarios. My oldest has much more of my cynicism than my youngest.

HTH

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for those very though provoking accounts. I'll admit I did give the kid their reasons for doing what they do. Like I said in the second situation the parent puts up a front one the kid doesn't see through. The kid has a secret too however the kid isn't fully vested with Group A.

There is a level of discretion the kid uses. Even when confronting the parent the kid never plainly states what group the kid is in. The kid's secret is between the character and the reader. Some other characters will have an idea of what's going on and will communicate accordingly but they themselves won't fully know until its time for them to know.

I know you've heard "use your imagination" one too many times, but one of these days, send me a PM. I'm genuinely curious why that doesn't work for you

PM Sent

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Not to hijack Andre's thread or anything (I think he and I are pals, and he probably wouldn't have a problem with it anyway), but what's with the mentions of Santa Claus as connected to parental lying? Is Santa on trial here? Ridiculous. Even the very official U.S. Postal Service delivers mail to him. If I were Santa's lawyer, and he were on trial for fraud or something similar, I'd have sacks of letters from the Post Office poured out right there in the courtroom. Hey, that would be a great climax to a story! Maybe they'd even make a movie out of it. ;)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
#1 -- sounds very much like the warning signs for depression. I'd start by asking what's wrong, but regardless of the answer I'd immediately look to his doctor for medical help.

#2 -- This one is a lot harder. It really depends on the thing being hidden and the reason for it. Lets say it's something typical like smoking (cigs or marijuana) in private while telling the kid to abstain. Then, the explanation would be something like "I never wanted you to know because I'm ashamed. I don't want you to end up like me."
If it's something like being a secret anti-Nazi in WWII Germany while sending the kid to Hitler Youth camp, I would tell them that I did it to protect them, and that when they grow up, they will understand that sometimes the face you show the world has to be different from the person you are inside.

Mostly, I believe in being honest with your kids. That doesn't mean I don't hide things from them, but I don't lie when they ask a question.

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
Not to hijack Andre's thread or anything (I think he and I are pals, and he probably wouldn't have a problem with it anyway), but what's with the mentions of Santa Claus as connected to parental lying? Is Santa on trial here? Ridiculous. Even the very official U.S. Postal Service delivers mail to him. If I were Santa's lawyer, and he were on trial for fraud or something similar, I'd have sacks of letters from the Post Office poured out right there in the courtroom. Hey, that would be a great climax to a story! Maybe they'd even make a movie out of it. ;)

*scratches head* Like in Miracle on 34th Street? :)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
#1. Contact the school to see if this behavior is universal or situation specific. Talk to the school psychologist and child's doctor as well as the child in as non judgemental and leading a way as possible. Talk to the sibling as well, because sometimes they know stuff. Depending on results and instincts, search for drugs, etc.

#2 This totally depends on the parent's actual motives for the behavior. My mother did hide her smoking from us. She said she was afraid her mother would find out from us. (Her mother never would have let her rest with her little rebellion.)
But that's not belonging to some group. Does the parents' survival or livelihood depend on the group. If so, I'd be honest. I wouldn't want my kid to speak out against the group. Better they understand the consequences as I saw them. Who is this parent and how strong is the group's power? What are their motives?

I think you need to know your own character to decide how best to answer this question for your story.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to know your own character to decide how best to answer this question for your story.

This is really the most important thing and should be reiterated. The question is not how we all would react to these things but how your characters would react to them. If you don't know the characters well enough to know that, then that is what needs to be worked on.

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
This is really the most important thing and should be reiterated. The question is not how we all would react to these things but how your characters would react to them. If you don't know the characters well enough to know that, then that is what needs to be worked on.

I know my characters very well. I'm not telling you too much about them because there are way too many people on this site that have to push agendas. So vague questions are safe questions. People can't get pissed and start calling me things I'm not.

Very few are getting what I mean by different groups as well. I'm not talking about something simple like smoking, hiding simple bad habits, I'm talking about your kid is going to be your enemy and you are going to be your kids enemy. It's not logical for a kid to not trust a parent when they catch the parent smoking its a little over the top. (even if such a response suits the character it would be a poorly written character so knowing how people in said character's age group and similar personality would respond would make a realistic character. Which I'm trying to figure out how parents might respond to certain things and situations.) In this situation (situation 2) the parent has been keeping a dark secret from the kid and the kid has been keeping a secret too. I'm wondering how might a real parent in said situation respond. The various answers are providing numerous possibilities and the right combination of answers will do things. Fit my parent character well and make the character seem believable and relate-able.

I'm learning that for situation one most parents would know something is wrong and would try to figure it out. In situation two most parents would do things to protect their kids and hope that someday the kid can understand. So the question is not knowing the character it's about understanding parenthood and understanding how parents in general might go about handling either situation.

There are certain emotions, thoughts, actions, and logic that come into play. I'm trying to learn what these would be.

I thank everyone for taking the time to chime in. I really thank those that have provided some really intriguing answers for situation 2 and for also understanding the vast difference between the groups and why the parent and child will be at odds.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Situation 1: Engage the teen in conversation and take them out for shared activities, like crafts or projects that allow them to express creativity or do things for others. That might be difficult for the parents involved, because I think that this situation develops slowly as a gradual "slide". You avoid the "slide" towards this through regular POSITIVE interaction.

Situation 2: Simple. You explain that you don't agree with the law but you follow it anyway, because that's the way societies work. When you say that the child finds out, I'm assuming that the parent is still following the law, just that their opposition to it has been discovered. If the parent is violating the law while telling the kid not to, that's another issue. In my case, I consider speed limits on the road as "more of a guideline than an actual law", but haven't lied to the kids and told them I never go faster than the limit. Other parents might have this situation with drug use, and be anti-drug in public but stoners when nobody is looking.