Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 2

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim - Please share your wisdom

Uncle Jim,
First, thank you so much for this thread. It's been incredibly helpful.

I was hoping you might comment a bit on Harper Voyager's opening to unagented submissions in October. What should newbie authors consider in terms of pros and cons?

I couldn't find what the contract might be. It seems to be e-book only. Global publication in English. I can see how it might be fantastic exposure for an author, but is it really better than going the agented route? (Assuming that's possible.)

I figure I'll be querying beginning of October, so it's perfect timing for me. But I think I'm missing something. Please help!

Thanks,
M.H.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I've been published by Harper Voyager (and edited by Diana Gill). The contract will be both competitive and negotiable.

There is also nothing saying that, should your work be selected, you can't call your top dream-agent on the phone and say, "How would you like to represent me?"

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From elsewhere at AW:

"All eyes fell on him" is an idiomatic expression. It doesn't have to make sense.

"Eyes" can also be an example of the rhetorical device synecdoche: a part standing for the whole. We use this all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it (unless you want to ding Shakespeare for writing "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...").

Not to be confused with metonymy, where one thing stands for another: Thus, The White House announced several new measures the Administration is implementing to help those impacted by the drought. Actually, the White House didn't announce anything. It's a building; it can't talk. Jay Carney, President Obama's press secretary, made the announcement. But "the White House" is easily recognized and universally understood, brief, and avoids the passive "An official announcement was made...."

(Nevertheless, free-roaming eyes are a problem in a lot of fiction: Her eyes flew around the room before landing on the curtains produces an odd image.)

Corey LeMoine

A decent fella.
Registered
Reaction score
I had surgery on Monday. I have been more or less laid up for the week, and here it is Friday, and I have just caught up with the thread. I started all the way back at the beginning, watched the whole cast of characters grow and evolve with only one constant, Uncle Jim himself. Now that the worst of my recovery has passed, I have been putting in my Bic time to be sure.

Thanks Uncle Jim for making this thread in particular a hub of both useful information, but also useful ways of thinking about the art and the craft of writing. It takes a lot of effort and commitment to stick with something like this thread for going on seven years, and it speaks well to your character.

As an aside, I live down at the bottom end of New Hampshire. I got a real kick out of you suggesting Walpole as a fictional setting for that one gentlemen's book. I thought I'd add in case he's still around, Walpole has a very lovely Farmers Market in the summer.

Anyway, happy to join in with the cast of characters here in the learn writing thread.

Corey LeMoine

A decent fella.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Caliopeno has the right of it. They are both entertaining. But why are the bad books entertaining? Sometimes it's the "Oh god can this be this bad?" factor, and other times the story is good enough to survive the bad writing.

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a few books, not because I thought they were good, but because they were the closest thing I could find to the novel that I wanted to read at that time.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
By a weird coincidence the books I write don't turn out (usually) to be the book I wanted to write, but they're the closest I thing I can do to the book I wanted.

If I ever write a book that fully satisfies me I may stop writing. Maybe.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
By a weird coincidence the books I write don't turn out (usually) to be the book I wanted to write, but they're the closest I thing I can do to the book I wanted.

If I ever write a book that fully satisfies me I may stop writing. Maybe.

Isn't it great that God doesn't give us that ability...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Led there from another thread, this supposed 74 Reasons an Agent Won't Read Your MS Beyond Page One

What would probably be fun: See how many of those 74 "reasons" we can get into 250 words (one page in standard manuscript format).

Prediction: The act of trying to get them all will produce something pretty good and a strong reason for the reader to turn the page.

(The only rule: If it works it's right. Strong guideline: Be interesting. Cautions: Don't bore the reader. Don't confuse the reader.)

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Led there from another thread, this supposed 74 Reasons an Agent Won't Read Your MS Beyond Page One

What would probably be fun: See how many of those 74 "reasons" we can get into 250 words (one page in standard manuscript format).

Prediction: The act of trying to get them all will produce something pretty good and a strong reason for the reader to turn the page.

(The only rule: If it works it's right. Strong guideline: Be interesting. Cautions: Don't bore the reader. Don't confuse the reader.)

"Can a full moon be any brighter?" Jill's words were met with silence. Shaking her head to clear her mind she stepped to the full-length mirror to examine the damage done to her delicate coiffure of cascading blonde tresses. She rearranged a few strands of hair, frowning. Something still didn't seem right. Squinting to see better, she caught a slight movement in the mirror reflected from the dark corner behind her.

"Oh bother," she said. She reached for the AA-12 full-auto shotgun she'd leaned against the wall next to the mirror, turned, and pumped another five shells of Double-Ought buckshot into the quivering form of her date's body.

"I told you not to touch me. See what you've done now?"

Like the moon, Steve wasn't answering her either.

---------------------------------------------

There's 130 of the 250 words (depending on how you count hyphens) and six or so of the 'reasons'.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
"And how many deaths will it take 'til we know that too many people have died?"

The words whispered out. Then: She opened her eyes, returning to consciousness. Taking in the dirty brick of the wall in front of her. Muddy water in oil-streaked pools, the smell of garbage. "My name is..." she muttered. A question crept into her voice: "My name is?" No answer.

She dug into her purse. A mirror. She needed a mirror. She found a compact. Opened it. Saw red-blonde hair, pixie cut. Blue eyes. Electric blue eyes. Upturned nose. Pouty lips.

She didn't recognize the face.

Gentle reader, I should warn you, what will happen next is shocking. For she will walk around the end of the Dumpster that currently blocks the entrance of the alley in which she stands and see it. Lying in the dirty mud of that night-time alley.

But that night happened five years ago. Our story truly begins tonight, for tonight is the Mayor's Gala, and we are dressing for a night of mild political banter. Tonight the thing we saw behind the Dumpster five years ago will begin to make a peculiar kind of sense. But that is for later. Now, it is time for us to dress for the Mayor's Gala.

The limo is here. We get in. The driver stays on his side of the smoke-glass partition. The in-car bar has gin, vodka, whiskey... top-shelf labels. Ice. Crystal glasses. We pour a shot–a double–of bourbon.

"Ma'm?" the sound of the driver's voice through the intercom. "Would you like to enter through the parking garage? Fewer paparazzi that way."

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
"And how many deaths will it take 'til we know that too many people have died?"

The words whispered out. Then: She opened her eyes, returning to consciousness. Taking in the dirty brick of the wall in front of her. Muddy water in oil-streaked pools, the smell of garbage. "My name is..." she muttered. A question crept into her voice: "My name is?" No answer.

She dug into her purse. A mirror. She needed a mirror. She found a compact. Opened it. Saw red-blonde hair, pixie cut. Blue eyes. Electric blue eyes. Upturned nose. Pouty lips.

She didn't recognize the face.

Gentle reader, I should warn you, what will happen next is shocking. For she will walk around the end of the Dumpster that currently blocks the entrance of the alley in which she stands and see it. Lying in the dirty mud of that night-time alley.

But that night happened five years ago. Our story truly begins tonight, for tonight is the Mayor's Gala, and we are dressing for a night of mild political banter. Tonight the thing we saw behind the Dumpster five years ago will begin to make a peculiar kind of sense. But that is for later. Now, it is time for us to dress for the Mayor's Gala.

The limo is here. We get in. The driver stays on his side of the smoke-glass partition. The in-car bar has gin, vodka, whiskey... top-shelf labels. Ice. Crystal glasses. We pour a shot–a double–of bourbon.

"Ma'm?" the sound of the driver's voice through the intercom. "Would you like to enter through the parking garage? Fewer paparazzi that way."

I like the first person plural for the MC. Or is that MCs?