Taking a bunch of grapes to a patient in an American hospital?

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
A little random-ism for a Saturday evening... :D

In the UK there's a bit of a long-running tradition (now slightly ironic, I suppose, although I've done it myself) of taking a bunch of grapes when visiting a patient in hospital. I assume it was commonplace during those times when grapes were not so easy to come by and the visitor thought it was important to provide the patient with something healthy and convenient to snack on as they recovered.

In my story, my main good guy (he's originally English) is visiting his (American) wife in (the) hospital. In addition to a couple of trashy magazines, a novel and the obligatory box of chocolates, he also takes a bunch of grapes.

Now to the question:
Does the aforementioned grape "tradition" exist in the US? If so, there's nothing much for her to comment on. If not, I'll have her bemoan her husband's English weirdness (I say it like it's a bad thing!). I know it's a minor point, but I like to be as accurate as possible.

Many thanks in advance,

LPH.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Grapes aren't a traditional hospital gift in the US, but a fruit basket would be pretty common so I don't think they'd be seen as weird.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Marlys, we don't have the grape tradition in the US, but people do bring or cause to have delivered various food baskets, among them a fruit basket.

Depending on why the wife is hospitalized, of course, she may not be allowed fresh fruits. (My husband* couldn't have them during certain portions of his treatment for leukemia.)

Maryn, who must agree with Marlys because our names are so close

*He survived and is just fine

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
The grapes definitely aren't a tradition in the US. I volunteer as a receptionist at the hospital, so I see lots of flowers. Very few fruit baskets, but definitely, on occasion. And if the person is in Intensive Care, they can't have any outside food or live plants -- something to keep in mind.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Is it also part of the tradition that the visitor then eats the fruit he's brought?

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both. I'll stick with the bunch of grapes and have her jokingly complain that they should have been in a fruit basket (that's a bit posh, btw!). At this stage of her recovery she'd be allowed some fruit.

I'm glad Mr Maryn is fully recovered!

Cheers,

LPH.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, more people - more thanks!

@ Mirandashell: It's the law of the land!

@ ZachJPayne: She's in a medical-surgical unit - would flowers be allowed there? We have the no flowers in ICU rule over here, so I assumed it would be the same stateside.

Cheers,

LPH.

ZachJPayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Yep, flowers would be okay in Medico-Surgical, as well as run-of-the-mill recovery rooms. You should be good. :)

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! With him being English, it would have to be petrol/gas station forecourt flowers then...

;)

Just noticed your location - this part of the story takes place around Lake Tahoe and Reno!

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Thanks! With him being English, it would have to be petrol/gas station forecourt flowers then...

;)

Just noticed your location - this part of the story takes place around Lake Tahoe and Reno!

Most hospitals would have a gift shop with flowers on hand.

And that's awesome! It's a really lovely area. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a Bit Off Topic, But...

Since hospital food stinks (at least in my area), I've been known to sneak in Popeye's Chicken, slices of chocolate-layer cake, strawberry-banana smoothies and Whoppers to relatives and friends. :D

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
@ Lavern08:

This might amuse you:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/sep/17/hospital-food-bingo-nhs-traction-man

Seems like bad hospital food is a global issue!

@ ZachJPayne:

I'll have him open his wallet and get her some nice hospital flowers, although the rest will be contained in a Safeway bag. An Englishman cannot change his spots!

I've been to Lake Tahoe twice in the name of research - it was such a chore to have to visit the area. :D Absolutely stunning. I drove to Reno once to get a vague feel for the place, although most of the Reno-based action takes place inside buildings.

The aforementioned hospital patient did recently venture to Carson City to buy a new dress (referred to in passing), although I must confess that I only drove through en route to Reno and didn't stop.

*Hangs head in shame*

Cheers,

LPH.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You could also take into consideration where and how the American wife and the British MGG met. If she's an Anglophile, she may be aware of the 'grapes' tradition, and remark on it, even if it seems odd to her American friends and nurses.
(I'm Canadian, and was raised on British books and magazines, so I know about the grape thing, but don't know how much exposure most Americans would have to it.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were an American patient in an English hospital and people brought me grapes, I'd be pleased with the first person, confused by the second, then think you were all goofy by the third person. Especially if they didn't bring anything else. That could be quite a fun scene, actually.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
They met five years earlier in Boulder, CO - her hometown. He'd been studying/working in the US for ~10 years at that point and has fully assimilated into American life (not that much different to over here, really).

They've got two young children, so I could say that she's familiar with the grape thing from when he took some to her after giving birth (edits... now referred to in passing during this scene). Thanks for making me think of that!

As for an American having the misfortune to find themselves in an English hospital, a scene where they end up with numerous bunches of grapes would be rather comical, although after trying NHS cuisine they'd be grateful for the extra food! And, it's pretty standard to turn up with said grapes in their original packaging.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/images/digi/grapes.jpg

Cheers,

LPH.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both. I'll stick with the bunch of grapes and have her jokingly complain that they should have been in a fruit basket.../QUOTE]

"Oh, wow, thanks. Where'd the rest of the fruit basket go?"

"It's just grapes."

"Cheap bastard. At least you got my favorite reading material."

Jeff

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! He probably bought the American equivalents of Top Gear magazine (motoring) and Viz (not sure how to explain that one!) to read whilst he ate her chocolates and grapes.

;)

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Not all Brits bring grapes - my family has the tradition of taking each other marrows in hospital. Like many UK traditions, it's purpose and origin is lost to the mists of time...

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Marrows?!

I even googled it in various permutations, but all I could find were references to bone marrow.

Thinking of this usually patient patient (ha!), I think that if her husband turned up with a marrow, she'd batter him over the head with it!

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Groan! :D Gerrrorrrfmoylaaaand...

Those are a couple of decent questions for adding authenticity, btw. Does that kind of entertainment get covered by medical insurance, assuming it exists? If we have it here in the Fifth World, they must surely have such delights across the Pond?

After all, we have bags of supermarket grapes but they have posh fruit baskets. ;)

* plans to emigrate *

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally - in US hospitals is there
a) An in-house hospital radio station?
b) Exorbitant charges for telephones and watching the TV?

Those are a couple of decent questions for adding authenticity, btw. Does that kind of entertainment get covered by medical insurance, assuming it exists? If we have it here in the Fifth World, they must surely have such delights across the Pond?

It depends.

First, I think a television with basic channels is pretty common. You'd have to pay for anything special, like movies or extra channels. Whether or not your insurance covers that will depend on your insurance policy.

There is one hospital near me that is heavily subsidized by the government because it treats a LOT of Medicare/Medicaid/welfare patients. I've been in this hospital, and the quality of care is fine, but it's very no-frills. You would be lucky to even get a room to yourself. If you want to watch a movie or pretty much any other entertainment options, you'll have to pay for it. And in that case, since most of the patients are are on Medicaid, their "insurance" would not cover that.

There is another hospital near me that is privately owned. Most of their patients have private insurance (read: a little more well-to-do. Middle class, mostly.). They offer free wifi, a big collection of free movies, private rooms - lots of amenities.

So IMO there is a wide variety of possibilities depending on the hospital.

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Bag of grapes and a couple of cheap trashy magazines from the local Safeway it is then!

:D