• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Anyone willing to be writing buddies? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmlaw95

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.

I was wondering if anyone would like to be writing buddies. Maybe we could help make sure that each other's novels are progressing well? I will be willing to help out anyone that needs it.

My novel is a contemporary romance one. This is the synopsis I have so far: "A woman rescues her best friend from her an abusive relationship with boyfriend. The woman is a lesbian. The battered best friend
is bi (she had a brief and unsuccessful relationship with a woman, but has since dated this abusive boyfriend). During the course of her recovery, the battered woman is withdrawn and depressed. However, her best friend (the one who's a lesbian) tries to ensure her that life will get better for her again. After a few months of commencing a long and difficult emotional recovery, the battered woman begins to realize that she's much happier with this woman, instead of her ex-boyfriend."

Would anyone be interested in reviewing my work? My novel isn't erotica. I've only written the prologue, chapter one, chapter two, and chapter three. If you're interested in sharing your work with me, feel free to pm me for my email.

I would like to get to know some of you soon! :)

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
It may be very early for you to request a writing buddy when you are so new to the forum. Maybe get to know people through critiquing their posts in the Woman/Romance section and replying to questions/ posts.

When you have 50 posts, you can submit your own work in the SYW section, and see if people connect with your writing.

If you want my honest opinion, you are going for a touchy subject of the person helping a friend becomes the love interest. It will be a hard line to keep steady and strong, as some might think that it is not fair to help someone if it is with interest. It also seems a bit predictable. As with every idea, it will all be in the how you handle it. Just a thought.

I shall be looking for your posts in SYW when you get there.

SenorSativa

Registered
Reaction score
This is either the third or 4th post I've seen by you asking the same question... a new one every day. You haven't joined in with any other discussion, and seem to be just trying to get around the minimum post count for SYW.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with just wanting some feedback; I'm in the same boat, but from what I've gathered so far, AW wants you to give back to the community as much as you get from it. Beyond that, you are flooding this subforum with posts, which is burying others. I put up a writing sample and a request for a critter/writing buddy and it's upsetting coming here to check if there's a reply and seeing another one of your threads created out of impatience burying mine further down the page.

I'd offer to swap back and forth with you, but romance isn't my cup of tea. Even if it was, I have no faith you'd return the favor and I'd fear constant nagging.

I don't mean to be mean, but I'm a little frustrated that my thread is going further and further down with this constant flood of your threads. On top of this, I keep checking them, not seeing the username, and realizing it's the same one. Please consolidate into one thread, add more information and even bump it (if it's allowed). Every one of your posts has had very little information, as one of the stickies suggests consider putting a writing sample on there. Good luck with your writing and finding a writing buddy.

Sinderion

Registered
Reaction score
This might be horrible advice, seriously, I might be steering you in the wrong direction, but I might have an idea for you. First however, do try to find a place in the community here, that's a good step to figuring out what this place is all about, it's worth it. Looking like you're antsy about your writing isn't a good thing. Relax, this story is just one of countless stories you'll write in time. If you fail at this attempt, it's just one failure of countless failures you'll experience. Learning experiences, no big deal, that's normal. At least that's the attitude to adopt :D

Anyways, my first idea was post 200-500 words, to show you've got at least some idea of how to make something readable, but DON'T DO THAT. My alternative(though maybe frowned upon, I don't know), would be to put that number of words up as a sample somewhere else on the internet, and give a link(somewhere that doesn't require a reader to do any more than click, then see the text, no login, no register, no shady websites). Nobody would steal that amount of words, especially from a new writer, and you're story idea is fairly generic in your current summary(no offense). You could even put it in a link in your signature. Lots of people do that and I've given critiques to several just from their sigs.

Once you hang around long enough to get 50 posts, you should have a basic idea of how things go around here(Full disclosure, look at my post count lol, barely over that >.< ). Coincidentally, that's when you can freely post in the share your work forums :D That would be a perfectly appropriate time to tag the top of your submission with "Also looking for beta readers!"

I actually came to this forum this morning looking to help someone by beta reading, but I don't think "Writing buddies." is what I'm looking for. I do think I might try and dabble in the romance genre though, maybe even soon lol, like maybe for a November nano novel thing.

Slow responses is a good thing. There are some real, good writers here. Try your best not to waste their time. The service is free.

RaisaLlyn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi mmlaw,

I'm also in the initial stages of my novel which is a contemporary romance/mystery. I'd be willing to beta for you if you'd like. My writing isn't very polished yet so I'm going to keep working on it but it'd be great if we can exchange stories in the future when I've got a little something:)

PM me if you're interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.