• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

If You Beta For Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
I'll love you forever? Dunno if that's a fair exchange, but before I post on the SYW thread, I wanted to clean up my grammar and what not. Ten pages (16 font, so it's not that long) and it's fairly easy read. If you end up liking it maaaaaybe we can work something out and you can be my editor when I write more? Hmm? Just a thought. Any takers?

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Oooo man. What's it about? Hmmm let's see. It's about a man, Jameson, who lives in two separate worlds, one where is awake and the other in a coma. The world he is awake in is actually a village of Venetian Carnival masks. Where everyone lives their lives constantly dressed up in the Godest of costumes and where their actual faces are the masks. Our hero however doesn't quit belong and he's just not sure how he ended up here or what to do. Story unfolds when he meets someone in a similar situation and it takes a turn for the worst when the other man tries to use Jameson for his own needs to wake up in the "other" realm. Adventure, fantasy, voo-doo black magic, lies and drama! Oh my!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because I am blind and like to make the words bigger when I type.

Fair enough.
But you might want to be careful about the concept of "if it works out, maybe you can be my editor when I write more" as the reward for beta reading. I'm afraid it comes across a bit like "Will you come weed my vegetable garden? Then, if it works out, maybe I'll let you mow my lawns, re-seal my driveway, and landscape my entire property".

Beta reading is a lot of work, and is usually done for authors by authors, either for-the-love, for-a-swap, or paying-it-forward. Editing is a lot lot lot LOT of work, and is usually done by industry professionals for pay; a full length novel will run $1000 - $2500 in editing fees.

Last edited:

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Oh is that what it sounded like? Sorry, didn't mean for it come off that way. More like, if you enjoyed my first 3,000 words, if you wanted to keep working with me, the betaing would turn into an editing type thing. Or at least that's what I thought this form was for? I can't offer to swap cause, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, my editing skills are non-existent, but yeah, I had it more in mind of "pay it forward".

But cheers and God speed to whoever wants to give it a whirl! Hopefully we can make some magic happen together.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing critiques is a great way to learn editing skills -- since it's always easier to find and fix errors and problems in someone else's writing than your own! If you help out enough other authors, you eventually learn to help yourself as well. So critiquing is a double bonus! And, of course, every writer does have to learn to edit their own work, or they'll never go anywhere.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
OP, I'd suggest that you spend some time in the Share Your Work forum, critiquing others' work. You'll not only help other people, you will learn a lot about writing and editing your own work, and others will then be more willing to critique yours.

You might say you have no editing skills, but you can certainly give feedback on what worked for you, or what didn't, or where you got confused or bored.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Beta reading is a separate skill from editing. I wouldn't ask your betas to "be your editor" -- it puts a lot of pressure on them. Editing is a lot of work and requires a lot of skill... that's why it's a paid profession.

Beta reading is also a skilled profession, and really should be a paid one because a good beta is worth their weight in gold. :D While "payment" isn't required here it should always be considered for a job well-done: the usual payment is a beta read of their work, but my friends and I also like to say thanks with affordable small gifts like loose leaf tea or book gift vouchers. You could also buy and review your beta's novels, if they have some available, and help signal boost their new releases social media promotions.

Even if you can't swap, there's a ton of ways you can repay a beta reader. :)

Unimportant's advice and Eqb's advice about visiting SYW is also excellent.

Last edited:

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Beta reading is a separate skill from editing. I wouldn't ask your betas to "be your editor" -- it puts a lot of pressure on them. Editing is a lot of work and requires a lot of skill... that's why it's a paid profession.

Beta reading is also a skilled profession, and really should be a paid one because a good beta is worth their weight in gold. :D While "payment" isn't required here it should always be considered for a job well-done: the usual payment is a beta read of their work, but my friends and I also like to say thanks with affordable small gifts like loose leaf tea or book gift vouchers. You could also buy and review your beta's novels, if they have some available, and help signal boost their new releases social media promotions.

Well sounds totally fair to me! I'll even pay cause it's so few pages. I just really want to make sure my first chapter is readable first before I go on. PM me if you would like to work something out. I'm totally open to anything.

And I'll for sure check out the SYW and see if I can put my imput anywhere. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well sounds totally fair to me! I'll even pay cause it's so few pages. I just really want to make sure my first chapter is readable first before I go on. PM me if you would like to work something out. I'm totally open to anything.

And I'll for sure check out the SYW and see if I can put my imput anywhere. Thanks for the advice everyone!

One last bit of advice: first chapters generally change dramatically by the time the entire book has been written and is being revised. You can only know if the first chapter works when you read it as part of the whole. So DON'T STOP WRITING! FINISH THE BOOK! I can appreciate that ongoing feedback is nice, but a scrappy first chapter can always be altered. A scrappy first chapter in the first draft is not a reason to not write the book!

But, as eqb said, if you hop down to Share Your Work and help out some other authors -- read their opening scenes and let them know "I liked it!" or "I didn't understand what was happening in the tavern" or "That character seems like a real prat" -- you'll be up to 50 posts in no time, and then you can put your opening scene up and get heaps of feedback in return.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One last bit of advice: first chapters generally change dramatically by the time the entire book has been written and is being revised. You can only know if the first chapter works when you read it as part of the whole. So DON'T STOP WRITING! FINISH THE BOOK! I can appreciate that ongoing feedback is nice, but a scrappy first chapter can always be altered. A scrappy first chapter in the first draft is not a reason to not write the book!

But, as eqb said, if you hop down to Share Your Work and help out some other authors -- read their opening scenes and let them know "I liked it!" or "I didn't understand what was happening in the tavern" or "That character seems like a real prat" -- you'll be up to 50 posts in no time, and then you can put your opening scene up and get heaps of feedback in return.

Just a cheerful second to this, and I wanted to add an example. My first chapter in my first draft was awesome. It rocked. It was the bomb.

Then I finished the draft, and realized how bad my first chapter was. Sigh.

So I tore it apart, and replaced it with Draft 2's first chapter, which was kick-ass. And blew the water away from the first draft.

Then I finished Draft 2. And it's not that my first chapter is bad... it's just not quite right.

So I'm rewriting it again. And this time, it's going to rock. Then, with any luck, the draft will be done.

But I remember the hours I spent agonizing over my word choices in my first 200 words, twice. It's not that I wouldn't do it all again.. it's that I'd be a little more relaxed about it, knowing it's okay to come back and tear it apart again, and that it'll probably need to be torn apart once you get to the end and really truly know your characters and your story through and through by then. :)

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm no stranger to rewriting. I think I've re-written my first chapter ten times over the past 3 years. This time thought I finally figured out what I'm doing with it and where I'm going with it.

Sinderion

Registered
Reaction score
That's how I got my post count up to 50 lol, mostly in SYW, helping as much as I am able. I haven't shared anything myself yet, but I plan on doing so when I have something I consider done to the best of my ability.

On that note, why get beta readers and critiques before going to SYW? The only understood prerequisite in SYW is that it's as good as *you* can make it(often that implies waiting six weeks or so, then going back over it, you can't really objectively edit without the wait). You might as well just share once you get 50 posts. Just put some stuff up there at an appropriate frequency(one few k word piece every few days).

When it seems like your writing style is ok/readable and some key story bits(opening, for example) are passable, that's when recruiting beta readers would benefit you most.

One cheat by the way, go into the SYW genre's and look for "Hook me in 200 words" or the first three sentence threads and you can get an idea what people will think of your style. Though it wont be completely fair since it's only the opening bit.

I did that a few times and got some awesome criticism that almost made me want to fold up shop and go home lol. That's why I come here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.