Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Once again, ladies, I have to ask. What IS the deal with nano writing? Don't you think writing's more of a solitary experience, best served with no self-imposed, superficial deadlines? I dunno. Convince me. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. Ask my wife.

Wait, wait wait...you've been wrong before? I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you! I just can't believe it. It's like my world has imploded. :D

As for the NaNo thing, for me, it's about the challenge. I wanted to see if I could do it. It's driving me insane though, and I'm not sure I'll do it ever again.

I do think my writing is better with a deadline, otherwise I slack off, but it's hard to have something that can't be reconsidered if things start going wrong.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, shame on you :tongue. You oughta get out more. Get a Jayhawks ticket. Look at the cheerleaders. Those legs. Those flips. Those cute <censored>. Just remember though, you watch with eyes, not hands. The scores? What's that? :tongue:tongue

Mellymei, this is a good talk--hot or sweet innocent looking guys. You see, my MC is an 18 yo girl, I need to know how chicks look at cute guys. I'll need to find some young Torres pics. David Villa's been okay and I'll need to check out Castilla. Messi is going to be the greatest soccer player of this generation but he seems to be kiddish-looking to me. Don't know how gals feel about him in the looks department.

My wife's biggest sports man candy for the past decade has been Marat Safin. As a hetero man I find him irresistiblly hot as well. Too bad he's retired a little too soon.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
It is like getting blood from a stone some days to get 1,000 words. Some days, I cannot even get that.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Yesterday I think I added maybe 200 words. But that was because life, as it usually does, took over. I'm not complaining though. I went into NaNo knowing full well I wouldn't reach 50K. Keep plugging along, JK. Anything added to our present WiPs is a plus, right?

Once again, ladies, I have to ask. What IS the deal with nano writing? Don't you think writing's more of a solitary experience, best served with no self-imposed, superficial deadlines? I dunno. Convince me. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. Ask my wife.
You're right, Kansas, the actual process of writing is solitary. But the support for persevering when I'd rather just sit on the couch and fall asleep with my glass(es) of wine, is ramped up during NaNo. Personally, I don't participate with the social side of NaNo - the forums and such - but knowing that thousands of others are working toward the same goal all at the same is inspiring and gives me the push to write every day, even when I don't feel like it.

As for sports, I enjoy watching most sports with my hubby. Boston fans are awesome. We're loyal and loud :tongue. Though my favorite team to cheer for right now is the Notre Dame football team. They're 10-0 this season so far and the games for the most part have been exciting.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, I know for a lot of people that NaNo is also a way to force them to turn off their inner editor and JUST WRITE. It's about getting the foundation of the story down w/out getting caught up in the actual perfected writing of it. That's what revisions and editing are for afterwards. Many people will spend the month getting their basic story written and then many months afterwards, revising it and tearing it apart and building it back up into something amazing. Lots of people have actually gotten agented off of NaNo projects. For me, it just doesn't work. I CANNOT turn my inner editor off. I've tried. It's too stressful for me. I think if I were doing a contemp or something I could maybe pull it off, but my stories are too twisted and intertwined and interwoven with the mystery/thriller element for me to do it. Though many people also plot and outline their entire story before NaNo begins.

NaNo is not for everyone. It's not for me. And I'm TOTALLY okay with that. :)

Bing, I had to look up that Marat Safin guy and OMG. Total eye candy. Yum-Oh. Your wife has good taste ;) LOL. I think in terms of looks, Casilla is actually my fave. Oh, and total made a typo on Casilla's name. No T! gah! His name is Iker Casillas. Here he is http://www.google.com/search?q=iker...gHQl4CAAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1238&bih=694 Not that you want to spend your spare time looking at hot men, but because you are super cool and can admit when a guy is "hot" I thought I'd share. Or you can share with your wife ;)

ETA: Though I think Messi is most def one of the best players EVER, I don't actually find him all that attractive. Not saying he's not, just that I don't find him to be myself. And as much as I love Villa, I don't think he's that cute either. I just love watching him play. I missed him greatly when he broke his damn ankle. Oh, and I also like Sergio Ramos. lol.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I missed a great conversation this weekend. To catch up:

Ronaldo: Total douche, but absolutely hot! I just watch him on mute.

Beckham: Also hot, but I also watch him on mute. I love a British accent but his voice is too high pitched. Like a cat castrated before its testicles descended.

Sports: Love them. I played everything I could in high school. Basketball for 4 years, volleyball for 4 (on two different teams), and softball for 12, and I was on the danceline (those days are long gone, haha). I don't enjoy watching most sports though. Except college football. Okay, really just Auburn football. Football is practically a religion in the south, and the Auburn/Alabama rivalry is so huge it's kind of ridiculous.

There really is no experience like going to an Auburn football game, though. We have one of the best Vet schools in the country and an amazing raptor center. Before each game an eagle flies around the stadium and lands on the field. Then the jets fly over, the band strikes it up, 87,000 people sing the fight song in unison, then "Welcome to the Jungle" blasts as the team storms onto the field through a veil of smoke (we're the Tigers), followed by the entire stadium chanting the big cheers.

I kid you not, our school cheer is "Bodagetta, Bodagetta, Bodagetta, Ba! Ra, ra, ra! Sis boom ba! Weagle, Weagle, War Damn Eagle! Kick'em in the butt big blue, hey!!"

Love it. :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys - not gonna be her much to day, trying to get my AW addiction in while I have a moment ;)

:hi:

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
There really is no experience like going to an Auburn football game, though. We have one of the best Vet schools in the country and an amazing raptor center. Before each game an eagle flies around the stadium and lands on the field. Then the jets fly over, the band strikes it up, 87,000 people sing the fight song in unison, then "Welcome to the Jungle" blasts as the team storms onto the field through a veil of smoke (we're the Tigers), followed by the entire stadium chanting the big cheers.

Ducking in here to say Go Dawgs! Hehe

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I think if you are writing for publication, it is a very public thing to do.

I've said it before, I like NaNo because I like the peer pressure. That, and I really need deadlines to get stuff done, otherwise I find it too easy to procrastinate.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I'm not doing as well with NaNo as I did with Camp NaNo . . .but I think the deadlines and sense of community are fun. This is my first year participating . . . and the book I wrote for Camp just flew into life and it was crazy . . . it is scheduled for publication through Queerteen Press in January. I did NOT expect it to go like that.

I'm writing the sequel for NaNo this month. It's not going as magically as the first book, but that's ok. I think that first time was some freak of nature fluke! I don't think I'll get 50 k done this month but I think it is helping me get motivated and get a starrt!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Just finally getting time to really back-read in here...

You gals are more into sports than I am. Gah! Should I hand in my "man-card?"

Once again, ladies, I have to ask. What IS the deal with nano writing?

Nope, no handing in the man card just yet ;)

I've never done nano, so I can't help you with that one :)

As for the NaNo thing, for me, it's about the challenge. I wanted to see if I could do it. It's driving me insane though, and I'm not sure I'll do it ever again.

My challenge was writing a sequel from scratch with no plot this summer. I pulled it off apparently. So now it's kind of 'meh'. But that's just me.

I am not usually a big challenge person anyway. *shrug

That, and I really need deadlines to get stuff done, otherwise I find it too easy to procrastinate.

Right now I'm procrastinating, but I've got a lot of other 'writing'-related stuff to do these days. :(

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
The turkeys in your siggie are hilarious. :ROFL:

QFT

It dances too

mini-graphics-dancing-and-singing-329322.gif

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know, gets a little distracting though when it moves in a sig in every post - so that's why I just have it still there. ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I know, I had no idea what they were when I fist saw em until I saw Happy Thanksgiving on the butts :D :roll:

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! I thought they were flamingos too. Probably because they are pink.

Happy release day Zoombie:) May the sales be ever in your favor.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Zoombie!!

Stiger, oh man -- I hear great things abt Auburn's vet program. My aunt (dad's older sister) has great-neices on her husband's side, and one of them (my age) goes to Auburn for their vet program. It sounds AMAZING.

As for sports, I went to a small liberal arts school. Our sports teams were D3 and it was hilarious bc the soccer team guys always thought they were amazing/hot sh*t. LOL!!!! I did however go to school next to the #1 school in the country (begins with an H and ends with arvard, lol), and we always got a nice crowd going when it was a Yale/H game especially if it was home game. Can't say I went but...

Sorry for the radio silence here guys. I'm sooo into my novel. my rewrite is ALMOST DONE!!!!!:D:snoopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.