Erotica Writing Practice/Challenges

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
Hello All.

I posted this in Erotica SYW and didn't get many takers. It didn't even occur to me to post it here. We're going to revive the weekly practice/challenge, starting this weekend, and I urge you to join in. The more the merrier!

Erotica SYW has an additional password. Please PM a moderator if you'd like access.

My OP is below; it included a poll. Since we decided to go for it, any other interested parties need not vote. Just show up next week!

It's awfully quiet in here.

Since I can't tell whether people are visiting and not posting or simply not visiting, I figure I'd pose a question and see how many people respond.

So, I was thinking about reviving EL's weekly prompts, here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261237

I've looked them over and am pretty sure I won't be posting every week, but I'll do my best if there are enough takers to make it fun.

A show of hands, please. Are you interested in a weekly writing prompt? Either EL Montague's linked prompts or we can come up with different prompts for each week (or 2 week) period.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody who's even considering trying his or her hand at erotica, as well as grizzled veterans (I do get to blame my genre for my grizzled-ness, right?), might find this a lot of fun as well as a good way to hone one's craft. Give it a shot?

Maryn, often online during the day for those who require the password*

* Note that your request must state that you are 21 or older, because of legal reasons

wordsmithy

M/M Erotica Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Looks like fun! Count me in! (Though I might not be able to manage perfect attendance)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got an inspiration for the topic, then I saw the word count limit. I have a hard time writing anything short of a novel. Oh well, I'll give it a try.

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
I have a hard time writing anything short of a novel. Oh well, I'll give it a try.
LOL. As my writing has progressed, I've gotten loads better with description, so staying under 1000 words is now very difficult for me. The piece I ended up posting for this week felt like a skeleton of something that needed more words.

The word count isn't firm, though; you can definitely go over. Just not too long or people may not read it.

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
My response to the challenge this week will be somewhat late, since there's a fair bit of real life trouble going around. I do intend to respond, though.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. I urge anybody who's toying with the idea of trying erotica to give this a shot. It's fun! (And it's a fun break for those who are already writing erotica, too.)

Maryn, cheerleader

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Scott, these links aren't working for me. And are they in that special password area that is supposed to start w /T***********? I want to SYW a scene where the femme fatale's nipples pop up like they to for Maryn's MC in her newest--in a clingy little black dress,

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the links lead to the password-protected part of the board.

Maryn, knowing at least one person read that book

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I think the link for this week's challenge is incorrect, as it seems to lead to Scott Cole's member profile instead of the thread. But if you go to the erotica SYW forum, you can find all the practice threads.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Haha. I looked at the newest prompt and I was like "I have a scene I've been working on that fits that." And then I realized it's like 3k words long and I haven't even finished all the sexy part. :p

Maybe I'll try and do something shorter.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Short, long, it's all good. I'm happy to see more kids at the playground.

Maryn, all analogy-ish

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Short, long, it's all good. I'm happy to see more kids at the playground.

Maryn, all analogy-ish

It's not the size of the piece, it's the diction of the fiction.

Something that's helped me get close to (rarely under) the target word count is to remember we're practicing scenes, not stories. It's okay not to have a complete narrative structure and character arc within that 1000 words.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's not the size of the piece, it's the diction of the fiction.

Something that's helped me get close to (rarely under) the target word count is to remember we're practicing scenes, not stories. It's okay not to have a complete narrative structure and character arc within that 1000 words.

This is a scene. From a novel. Hence it's fairly long.

ETA: I chopped the beginning of the chapter off and got it down to 1.7k. Yay!

Last edited:

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com