What we're reading, the MTS edition

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started 'The Treatment' by Mo Hayder, based on a friend's recommendation. Finding it a bit of a struggle though I must say. There's something that's just not catching me.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
So get this, I was on a panel with him last weekend and he freely admitted that the deaths were incidental to the story, not essential to it. He called the murders 'Macguffins,' which I thought interesting because it was basically him saying the book wasn't MTS. One of the other panel members, jokingly, said he should give back his Edgar award since the book's not really in the genre.

All done in good humor, with lots of laughs, but thinking about the book now (and I LOVED it), I can see what he means. (Also, he's a very, very nice man.)

Mark, all quite true! I started the book thinking it was solidly in the MTS genre but somewhere along the way realized it only kinda-sorta was but found the whole story very compelling and very well done. (I love his way with words.)

And yes, he is a very nice man. :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Just finished Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. I enjoyed Koryta’s private investigator series some years ago; his newest thriller, Those Who Wish Me Dead, absolutely floored me. After witnessing a murder, a teen boy is chased by an odd pair of relentless killers. The pursuit concludes in the Montana wilderness during a massive forest fire, testing the boy’s spirit and newfound outdoor survival skills. Brilliant writing and storytelling.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Just finished Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. I enjoyed Koryta’s private investigator series some years ago; his newest thriller, Those Who Wish Me Dead, absolutely floored me. After witnessing a murder, a teen boy is chased by an odd pair of relentless killers. The pursuit concludes in the Montana wilderness during a massive forest fire, testing the boy’s spirit and newfound outdoor survival skills. Brilliant writing and storytelling.

Peter, thanks for the recommendation. I've just checked this out as an e-book from my library.

I've been reading Stuart Neville lately, Ghosts of Belfast, Collusion, and now Stolen Souls. (I read Ratlines earlier this year and liked it, especially the MC.) Really nice sense of setting (Northern Ireland) and very vivid characters.

CWHs2

Registered
Reaction score
Currently in the middle of Land of Shadows by Rachel Howzell Hall. A black female cop investigating a murder in LA and the main suspect may have been involved in the disappearance of her only sister years ago. The pacing is a little off but I'm still turning the pages so that's a good sign.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read this
WATCHER%20aw%203.jpg

It was a nice read, and also nice to read something from a new author. It felt authentic, and had some surprising turns, and it held my interest all the way to the end.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com

Peter, I just finished this book (my first Michael Koryta read) and really loved it! The writing was beautiful, the story gripping, and the characters very well done. Got it as an e-loan from my library but liked it so much that I also purchased it to be able to re-read at will.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
Threads like this are what makes me glad that I found AW! I can't wait to really pour over all the great recommendations.

FWIW, I like David Baldacci novels, they're very mainstream, a great read while traveling or just wanting some lighter entertainment. Also it was a kick when his characters left Syria almost the exact way I entered, though I used a smaller port town on the Greece to Turkey leg of the trip, and they didn't have a little misunderstanding with a Turkish official that resulted in a gun being aimed at their heads.

The point of that is, I figure if he did that much research on an obscure part of the book, one which few people would ever be able to call him out if he got it wrong, that it would be likely that the rest of his books were also well researched and thought out.

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Peter, I just finished this book (my first Michael Koryta read) and really loved it! The writing was beautiful, the story gripping, and the characters very well done. Got it as an e-loan from my library but liked it so much that I also purchased it to be able to re-read at will.

Thanks for the recommendation!

You're very welcome. I loved the book and am glad to hear you did too. Koryta has written such a range of M/T/S, everything from private eye to practically horror. This was definitely my favorite from him.

Best wishes,
Peter

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
FWIW, I like David Baldacci novels, they're very mainstream, a great read while traveling or just wanting some lighter entertainment.

Well, if you like Baldacci, here's a respected mystery seller recommending similar books/authors. (And please forgive the BSP, I'm genuinely trying to be helpful. :))

arcangie

Paintaholic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooksbymemoirs.blogspot.fr
I just finished Runner by Patrick Lee. Mix Firestarter by Stephen King and any Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child, you got it. I couldn't put it down. Being always around scientists since a child, I can say it was well researched. I asked and they agreed. I can't wait to read another of his Sam Dryden books.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Over the past month, I've read Michael Koryta's Lincoln Perry series: Tonight I Said Goodbye, Sorrow's Anthem, A Welcome Grave, and The Silent Hour, and very much liked them all. (Peter, you're the one who hooked me on Koryta!)

And today I finished reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, which I thought was terrific (though admittedly not everyone agrees). It has an unreliable narrator; three interwoven first-person POVs, one starting at a different time than the other two; a brutally honest portrayal of alcoholism; and a great twist at the end.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Val McDermid's Cross and Burn, a Tony Hill & Carrol Jordan novel.

James W Hall's Mean High Tide.

And just finishing Harlan Coben's Darkest Fear.

Last edited:

pdichellis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Over the past month, I've read Michael Koryta's Lincoln Perry series: Tonight I Said Goodbye, Sorrow's Anthem, A Welcome Grave, and The Silent Hour, and very much liked them all. (Peter, you're the one who hooked me on Koryta!)

And today I finished reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, which I thought was terrific (though admittedly not everyone agrees). It has an unreliable narrator; three interwoven first-person POVs, one starting at a different time than the other two; a brutally honest portrayal of alcoholism; and a great twist at the end.

I enjoyed the Lincoln Perry books and wish Koryta would write more in the series. (Though it's tough to complain about what he wrote instead.) The Girl on the Train is on my TBR. I've heard great (Hitchcock-type) things about it.

Best wishes,
Peter

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Fallen Karin Slaughter

Nearly finished with Cross and Burn, Val McDermid..

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
About halfway through the new Rebus (+ Fox), 'Saints of the Shadow Bible'. Ian Rankin's produced a cracking good read. So far it's better than the last one, 'Standing in Another Man's Grave'. I felt a bit let down by the ending of that.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Fallen Karin Slaughter

Nearly finished with Cross and Burn, Val McDermid..

Neegh, I've read all of Karin Slaughter's books so far (though am still waiting on my library e-copy of Cop Town). I liked the Will Trent series better than the Grant County one, though both were good.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Have read The girl on the train and Before I go to sleep in recent weeks.

Exellent!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dead Rich by Katia Lief. Loved it!

InspectorFarquar

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
180 pages into Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Very strong writing. But I find the characters entirely disappointing. 370 pages to go. Maybe.

Purchased this morning (Public Library sale - two hardcovers, in fine condition, for a dollar!):

Hundred-Dollar Baby, a Spenser Novel. Robert B. Parker. I didn't care for his later efforts - felt like he lacked effort - but absence has indeed made the heart grow fonder. I'll read it this afternoon while making a pot of chicken soup.

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje. This one will be spread over several reading sessions next week, and likely the week after. To be savored. 20, 30 pages at a time.

Last edited: