Length of publishing process????

OC#50

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I would appreciate some intelligent guidance to my situation. Please allow me to explain.

In March, 2013, my first manuscript went under contract. Serious work by the publisher apparently didn't begin until December, 2013, when I was electronically introduced to the (assistant) editor with whom I'd be working and a marketing person with the firm. At that time I was asked to complete a lengthy form dealing with future promotional issues, including the names of four respected individuals that I knew who would function as reviewers of my book.
In May, 2014, I worked with my asst. editor to make necessary connections/revisions to the original manuscript. I was even sent a pre-production copy of the book to help in that pursuit. At that point in time I felt things were progressing as they should be.
In September, 2014, I contact my editor once again to see about the book's progress. My editor had nothing new to report and told me to contact the publisher directly. I had made several previous conections with the publisher (who had offered me the contract), so I thought nothing about asking. The publisher said he knew nothing of the book's progress; the (asst.) editor with whom I'd been working was in charge of keeping me apprised. At this point I started to feel as if I was being played along.
In October, 2014, I asked my editor once again for an update. The asst. editor said the manuscript was in the process of a series of three reviews by three separate editors. Due to its length (100,000 words) it would take time. I haven't heard anything since.
Since this is my first rodeo, I'd like some experienced feedback. Is this time table of events par for the course, or should I have reasons for concern?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would appreciate some intelligent guidance to my situation. Please allow me to explain.

In March, 2013, my first manuscript went under contract. Serious work by the publisher apparently didn't begin until December, 2013, when I was electronically introduced to the (assistant) editor with whom I'd be working and a marketing person with the firm. At that time I was asked to complete a lengthy form dealing with future promotional issues, including the names of four respected individuals that I knew who would function as reviewers of my book.
In May, 2014, I worked with my asst. editor to make necessary connections/revisions to the original manuscript. I was even sent a pre-production copy of the book to help in that pursuit. At that point in time I felt things were progressing as they should be.
In September, 2014, I contact my editor once again to see about the book's progress. My editor had nothing new to report and told me to contact the publisher directly. I had made several previous conections with the publisher (who had offered me the contract), so I thought nothing about asking. The publisher said he knew nothing of the book's progress; the (asst.) editor with whom I'd been working was in charge of keeping me apprised. At this point I started to feel as if I was being played along.
In October, 2014, I asked my editor once again for an update. The asst. editor said the manuscript was in the process of a series of three reviews by three separate editors. Due to its length (100,000 words) it would take time. I haven't heard anything since.
Since this is my first rodeo, I'd like some experienced feedback. Is this time table of events par for the course, or should I have reasons for concern?

Who is the publisher?

The first bolded is a major red flag that this isn't a reputable house, though there could be explanations for that one.

The second bolded I'm just confused as heck. Is the editor not AT the publishing house?

OC#50

Registered
Reaction score
At this time, Cornflake, I'd like to leave the publisher's name out of it. This publisher deals mainly with schools, libraries and other educational institutions. The form to which I referred requested lists of contact info of area school librarians, book stores, etc. at which I could (at some point) make appearances to discuss/promote my book.
The editor with whom I've worked, does indeed, work in-house at the publisher's offices.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

That sounds ok so far.

I'm not sure how a "pre-production copy" would help you revise your book based on your editor's comments, but different publishing houses do things their own way.

Was a publication date specified in your contract? And did you pay anything to your publisher? Anything towards publication, marketing etc?

But if you and your editor have already edited it, why is it now being reviewed by three more editors?

Might this be academic publishing, rather than trade publishing?

There are a few things which don't sound quite right to me. But I'm not sure if that's because you're using non-standard language to describe them (publishing has its own set of terms, which can take a while to get to grips with), or because they are actually off. I really need more information to go on.

At this time, Cornflake, I'd like to leave the publisher's name out of it. This publisher deals mainly with schools, libraries and other educational institutions.

Right. So this isn't exactly trade publishing, so things are going to be a bit different. But still: I am concerned there's something off here. I understand your preference for not naming your publisher at this point but if we did know who it was, it would really help us help you. If you'd like you could PM me the name of your publisher, and a link to its website, and I'll let you know if I have heard anything dodgy about them. In confidence, of course.

The form to which I referred requested lists of contact info of area school librarians, book stores, etc. at which I could (at some point) make appearances to discuss/promote my book.
The editor with whom I've worked, does indeed, work in-house at the publisher's offices.

Again, this might all be fine. But there might be something off here, I think, and without more information I'm going to struggle to put my finger on it.

OC#50

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Old Hack.

I paid nothing for the publication and the contract said the agreement could be nullified by either side after a year if publication hadn't occurred by then.

This is not academic publishing---it's a fictitious piece designed for young adults. The publisher has been negatively reviewed on AWWC for slow payment, but nothing else and nothing within the past five years or so.

I will add that when I felt I was being played in September of 2014 (when it appeared the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing), the publisher and I had a disagreeable conversation. He said that if I wanted the rights back to the book, he would release them. I deferred wanting to get the piece published. After all, that's been my goal.