Socializing in mainstream/multi-genre writing groups

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for my fellow erotica writers: do you belong to/attend general, non-themed writing groups or events? If so, how much do you talk about what you write, and do you ever feel like you're out of place?

I feel like writing erotica can be a bit lonely at times. It's not a genre that I'm keen to discuss with my family or a lot of non-writer friends. And I've encountered a lot of writers over the years who either looked down on erotica as a genre or who just weren't fond of sexually-explicit stories. The latter is understandable, obviously, and I tend not to get involved in non-genre specific critique groups because while I do write other genres, I write erotica a lot and there's no guarantee that I would have non-erotica projects ready for critique. Even online, I find the AW forums refreshingly welcoming to writers of various genres, but I've belonged to some forums where the people weren't necessarily dismissive of erotica writers, but you were definitely part of a tiny minority if you wrote erotica, and it would have been awkward to discuss it.

But I enjoy attending events like author talks, and social events for writers. My area has a large writer's group that hosts various events, and I've been thinking it may be interesting to join and try to go to some of them. But I guess I'm nervous being put on the spot or not having much to talk about.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One reason I started my own group is that I could make genre-judgement out of bounds ;)

Basically whether or not or how much I talk about it depends on the event.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I don't participate in local writers groups, period. I tend to be a solitary writer. When I do write, I can write large blocks very quickly, and it's rough enough waiting for feedback from online betas. To be brutally honest, I want to choose carefully those works I beta for other people. And while I read many genres, I'm not comfortable with critiquing many of them.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
There are definitely writer's groups in my area, but for many of the reasons you've outlined I'd be hesitant to join. I belong to a private Facebook group of erotica writers which provides a nice outlet for kvetching and discussion, plus this forum. I've found the AW community to be very welcoming, and like Filigree, I'm a rather solitary writer, so I don't feel like I need that large external community. I have a couple of fellow writers whom I beta for and vice versa and a handful of friends that enjoy my work.

If you're looking for a larger community, keep your eye out for conventions and not just the big ones. I have a friend who attends Arisia every year (a sci-fi/fantasy con, I believe) and supposedly they have kink events that attract writers and editors like Cecilia Tan (Circlet Press). I'm planning on attending one of the Geeky Kink Events happening later this year, if I can get the time off. Granted, these are probably better for networking than cultivating a sense of "home amongst writers," but you might meet some interesting people.

Reformed Gypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking for online groups that are more than a place to promote your work and not having a lot of luck. Throw in the fact that I've self-published and I really feel the cold shoulder.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a talker and would happily chat about writing til (and reading) til the cows come home. I'll shaddup now. lol

Gyps

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
In order to do some socializing and feel less isolated, I've considered joining one of the many local writing groups, but most aren't all that close. I'm wondering if the best option might be to start my own group -- for both convenience and being pro-erotica. The Meetup site looks worth a try.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of two people who started a genre-specific writing group in 1991. It's still going, although attrition has taken its toll.

I've been considering starting a similar face-to-face group for erotica, but I have a few things I'd have to figure out, like how to deal with creepy people I saw at a one-day erotica workshop and where to draw the line--or if there should be a line--in regard to what I shall politely call "unusual tastes." In my imagination, it's open to both trade and self-publishing aspirations, meets on a weeknight in a public place, and works very like my existing group.

I dunno. What if nobody came? What if only creepy dudes came?

Maryn, uneasy

Reformed Gypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I am picturing trying to start a group like that in my little town and cracking up. When I first moved to northern Michiga, a group was attemtping to build an ampitheatre just outside the village limits. There was a protest and one man actually stood up at the council meeting and said "We moved here to get away from culture. If we wanted culture, we would have stayed in Traverse City." An erotica writing group would probably be run out of town.

It would be nice though. Especially this time of year when cabin fever has set in.

Gyps

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting you bring this up as it's been something in the back of my mind. I am a member of RWA and erotic romance is a recognized romance genre in that it is included in writing contests, etc. I have not joined my local chapter of RWA because I am not sure if there are other erotic romance authors and I'd feel uncomfortable. I think I might write one of the group's leaders and get a feel for them in advance.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Write first to gauge your reception. I was really surprised a couple of years ago, by the frosty reaction I got from a local romance writers' group after they found out I was writing M/M.

Well, that's just flat out disappointing. :(

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for my fellow erotica writers: do you belong to/attend general, non-themed writing groups or events? If so, how much do you talk about what you write, and do you ever feel like you're out of place?

I belong to a very good crit group, but they have a weak point where erotica is concerned. It's not that they get all judgmental about it. It's that they zoom right in on the erotic bits and ignore both the remaining parts, as well as the overall writing style and expression.

For critiques, I rely on the good folks over at ERWA, to which I've belonged for the best part of a decade.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Yeah, see, I'm in a similar boat except other than sexually explicit, my writing is also deep-fried in angst and triple-dipped in psycho. I'd love to be part of a real life writing group like the one IN MY TOWN, having MY FRIENDS - the precious few - in it... But dayum.

"Hi God-fearing guys and gals from neat backgrounds with apple pies and colgate smiles and gasping at the word shit, today I'm gonna submit to your critique this one bit where my Israel-hating main character stabs his best friend to death, and then volunteers himself as a local's sex slave because he needs his void filled and forget what happened with his sister the other night. Who wanna start?"

Yeah, no.

And it's too bad too, because my one good friend in that group knows all about writing and editing. But... I want her to keep believing I'm 99% f*cked-up.

Not 100%.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Like most other posters here, I have grown by participating in vanilla writers' groups. I have some non-erotic WIPs to share, travel-quest and historical fiction stuff, but I can't share the F/m stuff that really gets my cylinders firing in free write time in the morning. When I post that work (Femdom Lite, Thank you, DB for the phrase), I always hope my real name can't be unearthed by the average browser and put on my public Facebook page. But a nice anonymous online crit group, sign me up!

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've had a fantastic time with the two local RWA chapter I'm in - they're very different flavors, but both are perfectly happy to accept me writing M/M erotica. (One chapter has two other erotica writers, the other is mostly published Harlequin authors - but even there, some of them do write for Blaze.)

Okay, a connected anecdote: I live in Alabama. A few months ago I was at the grocery store and I was wearing my "ASK ME ABOUT MY BOOK" sweatshirt that my mom got me for Christmas because that's what moms do when you announce you want to be a writer. The cashier looked at my shirt and looked at me and said "Ooh, is that the Bible? I love your shirt!"

And I realized there's no good way to say "Actually, I write gay erotica" to someone who had just gotten excited about my shirt being a possible Bible reference.

I ended up making some vague comment about "Oh, actually, I'm a writer" and paid for my groceries super-fast so I wouldn't have to explain :-\

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You win first out-loud laugh of the day.

Maryn, still chuckling

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a connected anecdote: I live in Alabama. A few months ago I was at the grocery store and I was wearing my "ASK ME ABOUT MY BOOK" sweatshirt that my mom got me for Christmas because that's what moms do when you announce you want to be a writer. The cashier looked at my shirt and looked at me and said "Ooh, is that the Bible? I love your shirt!"

And I realized there's no good way to say "Actually, I write gay erotica" to someone who had just gotten excited about my shirt being a possible Bible reference.

I ended up making some vague comment about "Oh, actually, I'm a writer" and paid for my groceries super-fast so I wouldn't have to explain :-\

Don't you kinda wish you just told the person just to see their face? hehe

But I get you. I would've done the same thing.

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, now I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone. You DO feel isolated. You don't dare mention you are a writer, because people are darn well going to ask you what genre. Of the several people I've told about it, there were only two who were interested in reading it. (I do mostly MMF erotic romance). And those two people were very open-minded. Seems the second people hear what you write, they automatically catalog you as a sicko, and start looking for a quick escape from your presence. It's like "there's a freak in the house!" I don't like feeling like a pervert, and therefore have felt very lonely when I can't share my work. It's nice to know there are groups out there I can contact, and I will certainly do that now. Oh, and Wendymarlowe, that was REALLY funny! I got a huge kick out of it!

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Some of the erotic writing sites out there have forums. I haven't visited those forums, but see them listed.

Literotica has forums, for example.

Couldn't hurt to look, I suppose.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When I started an in person meetup very nice people came. It has been running weekly for 7 years now and never a problem about the erotica thing.