When an agent specifies "no erotica"

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question and perhaps it's better suited for the Agent board, but I am curious what you all think.

When a literary agent specifies that they take romance submissions but not erotica, are they referring to any romance that has detailed sexual content or do they solely mean erotica (as its own genre without HEA possibilities, etc.) I get confused if they are including the genre of erotic romance when they say "erotica."

Thanks!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess they mean both erotica and erotic romance, but the best thing to do would be to look at who they rep and check out those authors books.

The difference between romance and erotic romance is frequently a question of quantity of sex rather than heat level per scene, but there's also a lot of romance that still does mostly fade-to-black or uses euphemisms, etc. So agents who are not comfortable with erotica, may be uncomfortable with erotic romance too. Or they just may not have the contacts for the stuff with more explicit content regardless of the romance plotline.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that erotica is more centered on the sex, while erotic romance is centered around the romance through sex. It has more of a relationship.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Per RWA, their working definition of erotic romance:

Novels in which strong, often explicit, sexual interaction is an inherent part of the story, character growth, and relationship development and could not be removed without damaging the storyline. These novels may contain elements of other romance subgenres (such as paranormal, historical, etc.).

And it still needs to have a happily ever after to constitute as a romance. While erotica can just be a quick sexual encounter or a happy for now type ending.

And that's why I get confused if the agent is going by true definitions or isn't interesting in anything that goes into heavy sexual detail.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about, so I may not be answering your question properly and may be confusing you further, but basically in an erotic romance there's explicit sexual content, but there's also love developing, whereas with erotica there's no love developing, or at least that's not a main point of the book.

Last edited:

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not confused about the definitions of erotic romance vs. erotica. But I fear I might be writing off potential agents just because they say 'no erotica' (but rep romance in general). I'm just pondering if they are going by established genre definitions or are using it loosely to specify no works that have detailed sexual encounters.

And I like the advice about looking further at the books they rep. I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this in their search for an agent.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I haven't faced it yet, but I've certainly seen No Erotica enough on agents' "what I represent" descriptions to understand why you're asking. I'm not sure there's a good answer, other than to check their list (which was a brilliant suggestion, Aggy). I've seen romance agents specifically state it when they include Erotic Romance. It's the agents who are more general in their descriptions that bring up the question. The good news is there are more and more agents hustling EroRom so you should have a good core set of options.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure they are reputable agents, though. I've heard of some nice people, great cheerleaders for erotic romance, who were terrible agents for it.

Of course. Grateful for this site and others that give you a sense of who you could potentially be dealing with.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is ambiguity because the agents cannot be assumed to be using the definition currently popular with many erotic romance writers/publisher. Which is by no means a universal definition all people use (I certainly do not use it).

I would agree to look at who they represent and if still in doubt, inquire.