Publisher won't pay me or even send a statement

Pauline0709

Registered
Reaction score
Help! My royalty publisher published my book two years ago, but in spite of the contract stipulating that I would receive annual accounting statements and payment, I have yet to receive a dime! Amazon Bookscan reports sales but not a word from publisher. They refuse to answer my calls or emails. Does my next step involve seeking legal counsel? Arrgh....

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a thread for the publisher in Bewares, Recs, and Background Checks? I'm sure someone will be along with specific advice, but if there's a thread, you might find out if there are others experiencing the same problems with you and how they're dealing with it. If there's no thread, please do start one and warn others of the problems you are having with this publisher.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help! My royalty publisher published my book two years ago, but in spite of the contract stipulating that I would receive annual accounting statements and payment, I have yet to receive a dime! Amazon Bookscan reports sales but not a word from publisher. They refuse to answer my calls or emails. Does my next step involve seeking legal counsel? Arrgh....

Welcome to Absolute Write. Follow the legal process in your contract and contact an attorney for help.

Jeff

Pauline0709

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did investigate them before I signed. They seemed to check out okay. The book came out fine and I purchased my own lot at a discount for signings, speaking engagements, etc. But at some point after the first year, they just dropped off the radar. Thanks for the input. I'll start researching attorneys now. Sigh...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I would also email Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware: beware-at-sfwa.org.

(replace the -at- with an @)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely email Victoria at Writer Beware.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Yes, I did investigate them before I signed. They seemed to check out okay. The book came out fine and I purchased my own lot at a discount for signings, speaking engagements, etc. But at some point after the first year, they just dropped off the radar. Thanks for the input. I'll start researching attorneys now. Sigh...

Please consider starting a thread in the Bewares forum to help others avoid that publisher. I know you might flinch at the idea of exposing yourself in that way but it'll help others from being taken in. If there's already a thread there consider adding your voice and experience to the thread and update it.

Best of luck and yes, talk to Writer Beware!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd like you could PM me the name of the publisher, and a link to their website, and I will start a thread about them. All in the strictest confidence, of course.