Gentleman detective genre dead?

Aholm83

Registered
Reaction score
How 'feasible' is a story in this style, especially in the modern era?

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Well, how many gentlemen are still around?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, adapt and update a little: if the classic 'gentleman detective' is essentially a hobbyist with an independent income, either make him a man with inherited money, or a man with the kind of job that doesn't take up much time: something financial, or something he invented/developed that pays royalties. He went to a good school, has all the toys, nice manners, etc.

What kind of a 'gentleman detective' are you looking for?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about books but there is Castle, Father Brown and Dr Blake currently on TV. In Australia there is also the Miss Fisher Mysteries that are rather fab and I have to buy the DVD of.

So no it's not dead. Most are set in the past but Castle is modern. Father Brown, a priest, and Dr Blake, a police surgeon/doctor, in a sleepy backwater could easily be updated.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not sure about books but there is Castle, Father Brown and Dr Blake currently on TV. In Australia there is also the Miss Fisher Mysteries that are rather fab and I have to buy the DVD of.

So no it's not dead. Most are set in the past but Castle is modern. Father Brown, a priest, and Dr Blake, a police surgeon/doctor, in a sleepy backwater could easily be updated.

Father Brown and Phryne Fisher both made their debut in book series. Father Brown -- G K Chesterton; Phryne Fisher -- Kerry Greenwood.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would totally read a book with a gentleman in it. Especially if it had killings as well.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't think the concept is outdated or dead. But it could be a gentlewoman too. It'll just take the right character to pull it off. Quirky always sells. Poirot and Nero Wolfe were similar to Temperence Brennan in many ways, for example, or even TV's Monk for a male. So it's absolutely possible.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think a lot of detective stories are the modern equivalent. That is independently wealthy and/or from the upper class or its equivalent and a detective.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a dead genre, or a dead sub-genre. All such genres are only sleeping, waiting for a really good writer to wake them up.

Jackx

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
How 'feasible' is a story in this style, especially in the modern era?

It's all in how you execute the story. If you write it well with engaging characters, an intriguing plot, and you keep it true then it's very feasible indeed.

In general, though, Detective stories are a hard sell these days. That could be because most of the ones being written today are are tired retreads of better books that came before.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It's all in how you execute the story. If you write it well with engaging characters, an intriguing plot, and you keep it true then it's very feasible indeed.

Yes.

In general, though, Detective stories are a hard sell these days. That could be because most of the ones being written today are are tired retreads of better books that came before.

Are they a hard sell? Crime is enormously popular. (As a genre that is.)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I would say to take the gentleman/woman and do something FRESH with him/her. Wrap the character in something you're passionate about. And BTW, M/T/S usually carries 40-50% of the NYT Best Sellers with very loyal readers who love to follow a series. What more could a writer ask for?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Father Brown and Phryne Fisher both made their debut in book series. Father Brown -- G K Chesterton; Phryne Fisher -- Kerry Greenwood.

I know, but Father Brown as a book isn't recent ;)

I realise I worded the sentence about Phryne badly. I'd placed her separately because of the books but not specified. Thank you for clarifying.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
My male detective protagonists are strong and brave, yet courteous and gallant toward women. That doesn't mean they're perfect, that's for sure. They, like all of us in the real world, have flaws, but I believe in being a gentleman in the real world, so I try to pass that trait on to them in my fictitious world.

Does that count as "gentleman detective" fiction?

As for my female detectives, I like to create strong and intelligent women who can handle themselves in a fight--think Gina Carano with a badge.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I specifically made my protagonist, Hugo Marston, somewhat old fashioned and "gentlemanly." Sure, he's a little updated, has his modern twists, but at heart he's very much a traditional gentleman. And I'm selling just fine. :)

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
You probably already saw this, but the Wikipedia entry on gentlemen detectives gives examples of modern day gentlemen detectives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman_detective

I was actually surprised to see some of them on the list, such as Inspector Morse and Detective Inspector Lynley (both series that I loved to see on PBS).

Djuna