Publisher Requested My Manuscript...and then?

JessQ

Registered
Reaction score
Just before Thanksgiving (2014), I received an email from a publishing company I'd queried, requesting my manuscript. (Hooray!) Keep in mind that I don't have an agent, they just wouldn't bite. I sent the manuscript that same day, and just a few days ago (March 2015), after waiting the customary 90 days, I replied again for a follow-up.

Now, while I'm totally stoked that I've been spotted by an actual publishing company, sans agent, should I be worried that I may be taken advantage of or totally duped out of anything? Should I still be trying to find an agent for my other novels, both in-progress and complete?

Or, call me paranoid, but what if the company just... never responds again?

Help me, community of writers, you're my only hope.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
First thing you should do is check if they have a thread in the bewares section.

JessQ

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. I alt+tab'ed to Predators & Editors and found that they are indeed legit, so I wasn't worried there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're not legitimate (how could I, when I don't know who they are?), but Lizo27 was suggesting you check them out here at AbsoluteWrite, which has its own Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks board. Some perfectly legitimate publishers who begin to use unscrupulous business tactics or are in financial trouble are revealed there quite early. As an author, you want to be in on such things, of course, since it will affect how your book is published and marketed if you sell it to them.

Maryn, knowing this is all quite confusing at first

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I was published by publishers, but they were small independent publishers with a POD or E-first model. It was fine for me seven years ago, but now I need to take it to the next level and get an agent.

Think about where you want your book to appear, whether you're okay with online distribution only, or whether you want to see a real book in a brick and mortar store.

Think about how long you've been querying this novel, and if you want to hold out for representation first.

If this publisher is sufficient for your current needs and you'll be satisfied with the distribution channels they have in place, go for it. Who knows, maybe with the next book, or the one after that, or the one after that, you'll get an agent and the exposure you've always wanted.

I don't know if this publisher you're talking about is e-first, or a respected small university press, or any of the other independent presses that garner good reviews from good sources, and great distribution. You know best what to do with your first book. Just don't give them any money. Just sayin'.