Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, man... I saw them live, once upon a time.

Peace, my friend.

Maryn, watching the big names slip away

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Sad news. The Raiders are one of my favorite bands from the 60s. I got a ton of their records, and I used to watch Happenin' 68 all the time. It was on right after American Bandstand on Saturdays.

Very upsetting news.

RIP

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This made me sad, too. Sucks that they never seem to even be considered for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Maybe the silly costumes, choreographed guitarists and general goofball attitude made people shrug them off, but they were a helluva band in their heyday.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His real name was Paul Revere Dick. I would have gone by just Paul Revere, too.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They were a great band. Some of the first records I ever bought (45's) were their songs - Just Like Me, Him Or Me…, etc. They were, along with the Beatles, the Byrds and their contemporaries, the reason I learned to play guitar.

Thanks Paul, for the memories, the inspiration, and the music.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
One of my sisters was a big Raiders fan, so I'm familiar with most of their big hits. "Good Thing" was my favorite, and "Just Like Me" was another great one. I remember watching the band on TV, wearing their Revolutionary War get-ups. Very cool!

Rest peacefully, Paul.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the early 80s hubby and I were on a road trip. Stopped off in Reno to visit my aunt. He wanted to see the show in the main show room of our hotel, Tony Bennett and one the big bands. I liked the big band OK, but had never been a fan of Tony Bennett. Told hubby I'd go to his show, but he'd have to go with me to the lounge show. Yup, Paul Revere. I think he liked Paul Revere better, I know I did.

MM

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the 60s songs - the Raiders used the Vox organs that was popular back then. For one thing, they were cheaper and a lot lighter than a Hammond. By about 1970 the Vox sound fell out of favor and became quite rare in pop music (a notable exception was Elvis Costello's band).

I remember Paul Revere and The Raiders, my sister was a fan of all the music shows on TV at the time - they were sort of a made-for-TV band like the Monkees, but not quite as popular. It was their hits as well as others that made me want to be a rock-and-roll musician before age 10. It seemed like FOREVER (well, it WAS a couple of years, and I had just about given up) before my parents got me a guitar.

But enough about my horrible childhood...

I had the ear;y 1970s album with this song "Cherokee Nation:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ojRQ15My7s
The song is a good, memorable one, and a big change from their 60s sound, but I can't remember anything else from that album.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta disagree with you, benbradley. Paul Revere and the Raiders were nothing like The Monkees. They were a legitimate band with a couple of Top 40 hits before they were signed as the "house band" for Dick Clark's Where The Action Is in 1965.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Gotta disagree with you, benbradley. Paul Revere and the Raiders were nothing like The Monkees. They were a legitimate band with a couple of Top 40 hits before they were signed as the "house band" for Dick Clark's Where The Action Is in 1965.

Correct. The Monkees were a tv show before they were a band.

The Raiders were a band first, long before they appeared on tv. Signed by Columbia Records after recording their version of 'Louie, Louie' (about the same time it was recorded by the Kingsmen).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Loved 'em. They were a basic good-time rock'n'roll band with no pretensions to profundity, which plagued too many bands of their time (you hearing this, Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek, wherever you dwell in the afterlife?). And fun on-stage clothing, too.

But if you keep rocking till you're in your mid-70s before you sign off, you done good. Bon voyage, Paul.

caw