Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you very much.

Trailer for the upcoming documentary. Haven't decided if I want to watch it yet or not. Love the guy so much I just don't know if I need to watch his rise and eventual fall. I already witnessed it first hand when it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBWbpJdRMQ

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, waited too long and now it's gone. I should have known someone would rain on that parade PDQ. I have to admit I don't know Nirvanah's music all that well. What I've heard, I really like, and I think it's probably the way it is for me with a lot of great musical artists. It's just a question of exposure, or lack thereof.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Can't recommend Nirvana enough. They kicked down a door. Kurt had a cool way of expressing himself. Even if you weren't sure what the heck he was talking about you still got the point. You can feel that guy. Nevermind is a good place to start, that's the big album. They can get loud though.

MTV Unplugged. One of my all time favorite albums. Recorded not long before he died, makes it kind of spooky now.

All Apologies
Lake of Fire
Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'll check 'em out, Axl. Thanks. I've heard where the Beatles, Lennon especially, were a big influence.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Listening to Nevermind now. First two cuts, I've heard and like.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score

Do note that the original Nevermind was badly mastered. The studio raised the volume so high that things got clipped. Kind of sad that one of the greatest albums in Rock history got caught up in the Loudness Wars.

Look into the 20th anniversary edition. It's a bit better, but far from a perfect mastering.

If you want to hear what the album should have sounded like, look up Kevin Devine's cover of Nevermind. It's fantastic.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score

Lots of great songs on there. In Bloom. Lithium. Come as you are. Now if you like that, I don't know what to tell you.

In Utero. 2nd album, I love it. Goes against the grain. Really loud. They wanted it to be as distant from mainstream rock as possible. It wasn't radio ready or easy to swallow. It was either Kurt or producer Steve Albini said "it's not a record for wimps" :D

That MTV Unplugged is an officially released album. It's great too. Really intimate set. It's pretty much the opposite of In Utero.

Last edited:

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
In Utero is actually the third album. Bleach was the first. Here is a song from it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ijtz6Du_s

Very true. I should have mentioned to Maze that Nevermind is their major label debut and In Utero is the 2nd major label album. So yeah, technically (Thank you miss details :)) Bleach is their first album. And for an indie label, cheaply produced album it's pretty good.

It's just you can tell they lacked resources and were only starting to tap into their potential. Some songs are great, like Negative Creep, Blew, About a Girl, Scoff. But some are, just not too great. Kurt said some songs he didn't even write lyrics until the night before they planned to record and it kind of showed. Still good though. I like it.

It's got the feel of, seeing a rookie play a sport and you can tell he's going to be good but he just aint quite there yet.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered how much of Nevermind was influenced by their European tour with Sonic Youth. It's almost too easy to hear Thurston-esque sound walls. =)

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered how much of Nevermind was influenced by their European tour with Sonic Youth. It's almost too easy to hear Thurston-esque sound walls. =)

Oh you can tell they were a big influence. Great call bringing them up. Awesome band. Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, they all had a huge influence on not just Nirvana but a lot of those bands from that scene.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you can tell they were a big influence. Great call bringing them up. Awesome band. Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, they all had a huge influence on not just Nirvana but a lot of those bands from that scene.

LOL. Not a great call at all.
I still wanna be Kim Gordon when I grow up.

;)

*See the video 1992: The Year Punk Broke for Nirvana footage

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
That was a very fun movie, and Kurt did love Sonic Youth even before that.

one thing I always thought was so cool about Nirvana was that their best album wasn't their big breakout record, or their first indie record, but their LAST album.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Not a great call at all.
I still wanna be Kim Gordon when I grow up.

;)

*See the video 1992: The Year Punk Broke for Nirvana footage
Real quick on Sonice Youth. I saw them open up for Pearl Jam one time. I'm like here they are, been around 25 years or so, made plenty of money, influenced all these great bands, including the one they were opening for.

And they had a blast. Put on a great show. They were just cool.

That was a very fun movie, and Kurt did love Sonic Youth even before that.

one thing I always thought was so cool about Nirvana was that their best album wasn't their big breakout record, or their first indie record, but their LAST album.

Yes. I'm with you. Completely agree.