The Novel Challenge Hub

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still here;) Had a bit of a break from my WIP, but back at it now. stood at 25,000 for now. Hoping to do some more tonight:) and welcome back guys:Hug2:

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
So it's been crazy, but I have been reading the posts here at the Novel Challenge Hub, and it looks like everyone is doing very well!!

KUDOS! :D

I'm in the editing phase of my novel, and hoping to get the final done by June 6th, as I'm attending the Writer's At Work conference and workshop in Salt Lake City that weekend, and hopefully can shop the thing around in person.

I've gotten 13,000 words edited in the last week and a half already!

Anybody else going to this conference??

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Siri :)

Good to see all the progress going on! Going to work on mine and see if I can get this next chapter done.

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
How long do you guys deliberate on character names? I spent the last two days doing nothing but sitting under the realization that one of my characters in the rough draft named Petra wanted her name changed. Just this morning, she told me--Lilith, or Lil, for short. Once that bit was figured out, went ahead and edited approximately 2000 words though.

Sammy--how was the movie? I've been wanting to see that....

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long do you guys deliberate on character names? I spent the last two days doing nothing but sitting under the realization that one of my characters in the rough draft named Petra wanted her name changed. Just this morning, she told me--Lilith, or Lil, for short. Once that bit was figured out, went ahead and edited approximately 2000 words though.

Sammy--how was the movie? I've been wanting to see that....

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's always good to go with what the character wants to be called.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

If I have a char that I have a rough timing naming, i'll pick something to go with and keep writing, then when I hit a stuck spot in writing I'll go through name lists or sit and think on the name for a bit. The story usually brings out the name for me most times.

Good job on editing :)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
How's it going guys?

I'm still here:) Been working out some plot issues which are now solved, hopefully. {had to cut a large chunck, when I realised that I had a mark over the sort of crime sence, it sounded a lot like JK's dark mark, woops;) even though it wasn't the same in description. Needless to say I got rid of it:)}

But it means I'll have to re write things a bit. Teach me not to write stuff at 3.00am I guess;)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

I don't know where they come from, but names are very easy for me - except, for one time, I had to name this character Guy... because I had changed his name four freaking times, and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Once because his name and his partner's name had this weird similarity and I kept mixing up their names. Then I renamed him, and his name rhymed with the main character's. So I renamed him again and couldn't remember how to spell it, and figured that was pretty sad. Then I decided YOUR NAME IS GUY, A$$HOLE!

And tonight, I got 14,772 edited, I'm up to 32,793

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
Ses - the movie was AWESOME! Have you seen it yet?

I have not seen the movie yet, and will probably miss it at the theater. :(

All my time has/is being spent on the final draft of this crazy novel, and I'm only 20,000 words in with another 100,000 to edit yet. I don't know if I'll make it, but I have a writer's conference I am attending June 6th. I'd like to have the novel completed by then.

Then....maybe a movie. :)

Reaction score
Website
www.thefaithpoliticsbaseballblog.com
Hi all, I am a college student working on my first novel and just signed up for the Novel Challenge. It's going to be a SciFi/Fantasy spy novel/political thriller, and I hope to have the rough draft finished and already have started revising/editing it by the time return to college for my junior year on September 3.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, shockandawe232, and good luck on your novel :)

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Hi everyone! Just signed up for the challenge! I'll be working on finishing my NaNoWriMo novel from last year.

After that, not sure if I will continue with the sequel book idea I have, or go back to my '09 and '10 NaNovels, which are connected. I'm thinking the latter, since I have thought of some ways to better connect them as a series (but which may also require me rewriting/retooling some of the 1st book).

Either way, I am not at a loss for novel projects :)

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
:hi: Yep, it's me. I'm baaaack Or maybe not entirely.:sleepy: Basically, I went into overdrive mode for Miscon and managed to do well at the con. Yay! Now, for Denver ComicCon, assuming I get enough money brought in to pay for my trip.:Shrug: I've just formatted a number of books for the publishing company and hopefully we'll be ready to go.

On the writing front: some good things have been happening. One thing is that I'm working on the novel Daemons and Shadows and I managed to figure out a plot hole that was vexing me, but I didn't notice. Oddly enough, the problem came to me as I was listening to some rock music :Guitar: while driving and the music brought up an scenario that I should've addressed in the book. :Wha: Okay, then. My hero now is in so much hot water, I'm beginning to wonder how he is going to get out.

I still don't know how the climax is going to play out. :e2writer:I know I've got a lot to write, but that's okay. In the meantime, I've got lots of other stuff to worry about--my authors, for one. I'm beginning to learn how crazy it is to run a publishing company. :crazy: Ah well.