XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
That applies to many of the words they used. :rant:

People don't - at least most people I know - write in order to "expose" themselves to others. That's just a side effect of the compulsion, right?

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
*sneeze*

'Kay.

Someone called me an exhibitionist, then retracted it with the comment "I guess you couldn't be because you're an introvert." I was confused by the whole thing, most especially by the fact that I was communicating with this person at all.

I was gonna ask, "where any body parts uncovered that are normally supposed to be covered?" If the answer was no, then how does he know if you are an exhibitionist? Then, I saw Bos's post.
To which I say:

superheroes-batman-superman-everyones-see-the-princess-bride.jpg

Aimed at them, not you, of course.

:)

Ah, well, never mind. This is so much cooler. Points for the bosman.

That applies to many of the words they used. :rant:

People don't - at least most people I know - write in order to "expose" themselves to others. That's just a side effect of the compulsion, right?

Now, poets, on the other hand....

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It's not why I write, no.

I have a trench coat for that.

I jest. Seriously. I jest.

Besides, like any author there is only so much "me" in anything I write. I am not my characters. I do not lead their lives. My current MC isn't even someone I'm certain I'd *like*, but it's how he's emerging. He is, to some extent, a manifestation of something in me, as he comes from my imagination, but that does not mean he is me.

I'm considerably shorter, for starters.

While you can see some of an author's views in their work, to assume they've put it out there solely for that reason, or that it represents the sum total of the interpretation of the work, is a rather single-minded approach to what is a myriad of motivations.

:e2writer:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a trench coat for that.

I jest. Seriously. I jest.

It's a greatcoat?

:D

Yeah, it's strange the things that people presume about why writers write or how much of them must be revealed or injected into their stories.

And, on that note, I go to eat homemade mac n cheese. NOMS.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
You know how yesterday or so you said don't upset the YA brigade?

I think you might want to avoid the poets' section, too.

Just a hunch.

Nah, I hang out in the poetry threads a lot. I'm not dissing on the poets. Honest. I'm at least as active there in the poetry chains, haiku, cinquain, and the triolet train as I am here. When I figure out something I want to say, I may actually post a poem there as well.

And I like YA. I'm looking forward to when little debio is reading on his own so I can buy and read the books too. Honest.

Don't hurt me.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I like YA. I'm looking forward to when little debio is reading on his own so I can buy and read the books too. Honest.

This is how I have ended up reading such books. Mostly MG for now, but the YA ones may well be coming. I had to create a thread asking for advice on what to read.

They were all most helpful.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I have spent the better part of the last half hour learning, for no good reason other than knowledge's sake, the difference between a trench coat, a great coat, and an overcoat, as well as some of the various styles such as the Ulster coat.

Very little of which is useful information for me.

Then again, so little of all that I know counts as "useful" in the first place.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
And I have spent the better part of the last half hour learning, for no good reason other than knowledge's sake, the difference between a trench coat, a great coat, and an overcoat, as well as some of the various styles such as the Ulster coat.

Very little of which is useful information for me.

Then again, so little of all that I know counts as "useful" in the first place.

I know the feeling about "useful". It does come in handy when you are trying to impress students. If they think you know everything, it makes life easier. I mean, if you can can talk equally fluently about the Higgs Boson, Ichigo's Banpaku, the etymology of "beyond the pale", or the real meaning of "itadakimasu", they realize it is hard to pull a fast one on the teacher.

They are also more trusting when you start spouting BS because you don't know the real answer.

Last edited:

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
... I mean, if you can can talk equally fluently about the Higgs Boson, Ichigo's Banpaku, the etymology of "beyond the pale", or the real meaning of "itadakimasu"...

What is the real meaning of itadakimasu? It's been a few years for me, I'm pretty sure I've lost it, myself....

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
C'mon, Amazon, aren't you REALLY dying to know about the Ulster coat?

Heh. I work at a university with a fantastic theatre program and a costume department that makes my heart flutter with glee. I know of Ulster coats fondly. Very gentlemanly.

Now a Highwayman's coat... that means business.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Mother's becoming ill has thrown my entire life into upheaval. Her disease is manifesting as rage and paranoia, most of it directed at me. My children had to move out for their own safety, my husband isn't here to help me a lot f the time, I've been given all of Mom's old responsibilities on top of the ones I already had.... It's all been harder than it sounds. Many people (hi, Fati!) have been telling me that I need to be sure and take care of myself in the midst of this particular hurricane, or risk losing my own mind. If I burn out, I won't be able to take care of anybody.

Well, Operation Preserve My Mental Health started this weekend, and so far, so good! Friday I went out with my girls on a shopping trip, and even spent money on myself (which I never do). Yesterday, I went over to John's house (Stanley Ford, you remember him, he comes in the Cantina periodically), and hung out with him, his wife, his kids, and his gotta-be-on-cocaine-they're-so-hyper dogs. Today, after church, I plan to celebrate the beginning of Holy Week by watching Boondock Saints I and II.

Moreover, I plan to make this a regular thing. One weekend a month is MINE MINE MINE, and nobody can take it away from me. Surely that can help my mental health, right?

Oh, and one more thing. My writing has been completely deadlocked for two weeks. After the Friday outing, I was able to start writing again. I guess all the tension was making me too crazy to write. So yay for that!

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
What is the real meaning of itadakimasu? It's been a few years for me, I'm pretty sure I've lost it, myself....

I could be wrong here and am more than willing to accept correction from those more informed. God knows I am no expert. I pick 90% of my Japanese up as I go along, not through any formal study.

Itadakimasu, for those who don't know is an expression used before beginning a meal. You put your hands together, like in prayer, bow slightly and say Itadakimasu.

It's often translated as "let's eat."

But what it is actually saying is "thank you" and in a more literal translation of the word "itadaku", "I'll take it".

Basically, what it should translate to, is "Thank you for giving up your life for my meal, I will take it now." This expression is actually to be spoken to the food itself, not the one who produced it.

Now, my classes usually don't have the annoying pedantic tone of the above. My apologies.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
You know how yesterday or so you said don't upset the YA brigade?

Shh! Don't blow my cover!*

(I have litfic tendencies as well, but you all still talk to me.)

*I do find it a little ironic that I'm possibly the oldest person, certainly one of the oldest, more-or-less-regularly posting here and I'm the one writing YA.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and since people showed up while I was working on the previous.

Good evening ladies. Watch the rain.

1. While not personal experience, the one consistent piece of advice from everyone who gives advice to people caring for family members, is to do exactly what you did. Never forget to take care of yourself.

2. Fast food is good in the middle of the night. Best time to eat it. Especially straight from the bag, in the back seat of your friend's parent's sedan, and you are cruising.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Junely. So, yes, do take care of yourself. And do ask others for help as well. They might not be able to directly care for your mother, but they should be able to relieve part of your burden.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

What's in store later today? Over here there'll be lots of lycra clad men on bicycles cycling 150+ miles around the narrow cobbled streets and lanes of Belgium. Now I am definitely looking forward to that.

Hugs to Junely, and yes, definitely make time for yourself. If you don't take care of yourself there won't be anything left for anyone else.

:e2coffee:

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
anyone afraid of what is in store for later today?

I'm sort of looking forward to it. :)

I'm looking forward to it. I mean come one. Being bored is a bad thing. Trust me. I know this. Personal experience.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Well, then, we need to make something happen.

Um, you got any salt peter? I think I remember how to make black powder. Google will help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.