Who are some of your favorite singers?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You're definitely not alone. I think it was Sinatra, one of the best at what he did, who said the Harrison composition was "The greatest love song of the 20th century." Though I think he gave Lennon/McCartney credit for writing it.

I was just listening to Bonnie Raitt, and I'll confess that I don't know her music, so if anyone could hip me I'd be grateful. But any time I hear her I stop whatever I'm doing and listen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVoOgwiYc8

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
See, you've started something now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkyisO_Cxk

I mostly listen to contemporary Christian/Gospel, but then people like you drag me back to my "bad old days" with your suggestive Youtube links. :tongue

Just when you thought you was out, they drag you back in?!

Nothin' subliminal intended, Laverne. I assure you, it's just how I think!

Jeffrey Osborne, great! Saw him once in concert. I had one of his albums, I'm gonna try to find it, the cat can wail!

Here it is. Love this tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBADB1V6KR8

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought you was out, they drag you back in?!

Awww, you sweet talker - a Godfather quote. ;)

(People are gonna tell us to "get a room" in a minute.)
:D

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was just listening to Bonnie Raitt, and I'll confess that I don't know her music, so if anyone could hip me I'd be grateful. But any time I hear her I stop whatever I'm doing and listen...
All things considered, I think Bonnie Raitt is my favorite (living) woman singer. She's as real as it gets. A great guitar player as well.

Here's one of her powerful ballads. (Unfortunately, the video a bit out of sync.)

I Can't Make You Love Me

And a rocker:

Thing Called Love

And Bonnie as a youngster:

Angel From Montgomery

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I love the sound of her voice. Clear and pure with just enough grit. I don't know country music, though I do seem to listen to more of it now. I like Sheryl Crow a lot too, she reminds me of Bonnie and I'll bet took a lot from her.

Great stuff, Rugcat, thank you...

Here's Sheryl doing Dylan's Mississippi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiGMqbXb8J8

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
Laura Nyro, backed up by Patti Labelle, "Gonna Take a Miracle"

Maria McKee, "Love is a Red Dress"

Ricki Lee Jones, "Pirates" album

Looking at this short list, it occurs to me that the appeal of the voice is about what it communicates beyond the technique... That Eva Cassidy link was amazing(Somewhere over the Rainbow)..... sounded like she was pulling the song out of her soul as she sang it.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Laura Nyro, backed up by Patti Labelle, "Gonna Take a Miracle"

Maria McKee, "Love is a Red Dress"

Ricki Lee Jones, "Pirates" album

Looking at this short list, it occurs to me that the appeal of the voice is about what it communicates beyond the technique... That Eva Cassidy link was amazing(Somewhere over the Rainbow)..... sounded like she was pulling the song out of her soul as she sang it.

It's true, right? Last night I happened upon something by Jimmy Durante and also Michael Buble, maybe on opposite ends of the spectrum. Durante couldn't sing of course, but he had so much heart and sang with so much humanity, for me he was a great singer. Buble on the other hand has one of those voices, a great sound, great command, but there isn't much depth, at least from what I hear. Maybe the best are the ones who have both, or maybe it just depends on what's more important for the individual listener.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Beatles and think the St. Peppers album is amazing.

My husband would tell you The Who - The Tommy album.

I also love Julie Andrews. I recently watched The Sound of Music for the umpteenth time with my daughter, and I think she's incredible.

Johnny Cash - Hurt. Amazing.

Norah Jones.

There are more...give me some time. :D

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Johnny Cash - Hurt. Amazing.
:D

I'd heard a lot about Johnny doing a cover of the Nine Inch Nails song, so I looked it up on YouTube. I don't think I breathed through the entire thing and I sat numbly for a few minutes afterward. Stunning.

Johnny's always been good, but I think his best stuff came right at the end. His cover of "If you could read my mind" is awesome too.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard a lot about Johnny doing a cover of the Nine Inch Nails song, so I looked it up on YouTube. I don't think I breathed through the entire thing and I sat numbly for a few minutes afterward. Stunning.

Johnny's always been good, but I think his best stuff came right at the end. His cover of "If you could read my mind" is awesome too.

I'll look that up. And I agree. His cover of Hurt is incredible. I mean...wow. We also have a friend who...unfortunately...we think of every time we hear this song. Because it's how we know our friend feels about life. This is one instance where I prefer the cover to the original.