Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! Shimmer R. They said it was a "nicely written, horrific tale," but they prefer a stronger fantasy element than I provided.

Aaaand a second round rejection from Stupefying Stories.

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
They just keep trickling in!

41-day from Stupefying Stories. "Well-written and entertaining, but not irresistible." Onward, ho.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
8-day personal R from Ideomancer.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
6 days from F&SF and 11 days from Strange Horizons.

However, I survived the culling at IGMS (many many rejections from them today), for one more day at least :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations! I got a close to 200 day rejection from Reunion (lit annual). Le sigh.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man, when did Apex get so fast? 1-day form-R from them this morning.
Damn. That is quick. Sorry. :Hug2:

Ack! Shimmer R. They said it was a "nicely written, horrific tale," but they prefer a stronger fantasy element than I provided.
Oh--but so nice of them to give you insight into why it didn't work. That's useful.
Commiserations! I got a close to 200 day rejection from Reunion (lit annual). Le sigh.
:e2thud: I HATE loooong waits like that. I'm so sorry.

And hugs to everyone else for their Rs. I still have crickets.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Commiserations, folks. I've got my own to report. 113 days for the Dark Visions anthology. Can't tell if it's a higher tier form or a personal.

"Each member of the Acquisitions Team has carefully reviewed your piece, but I regret to inform you that we are not able to include “Weep” in this anthology. Your work was quite well received, and our decision was based more on the limited amount of space available in the volumes rather than the quality of the work itself."

Even if it's form, it's a nice one.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's form, it's a nice one.
SOUNDS like a higher tier form. There's nothing personal in it, save the title of your story. Sorry for the R, but--assuming it's a higher tier--good job!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Just received a disappointing 37-day R from Nature - target market for this story. He said he "really enjoyed the story" but I believe my last R said something similar, so not sure if this is a personal or a form.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
77 day from Unst!ck, higher tier, but still an R. Also got a quick 'no' from SH. It's sad, because I was getting so used to those personal SH ones, felt I was getting closer. Now it feels like I have to build it up with new editors.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest cricket finally died today. 228 days at C 0bscura. A form, but maybe higher tier?

(R.I.P., little cricket. We hardly knew ye!)

And sorry to hear about the other recent Rs: Marzoli, kd, V1c, Alex, Eliza, Sai, Brynn, O.D., and J.W. (hope the trickle has dried up!).

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
My 48 day form R arrived from Asimov's yesterday. I reallllly like this story, so I had higher hopes than I usually do, and I got a personal R the last time, so the form R seemed colder than it would have otherwise... I've already repackaged it and sent it out again, but this made me a little sadder than Rs usually do.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
40 days personal from Shimmer. 5 day form from Glitter & Mayhem. Both stories have been kicked back out the door promptly. And I sent Shimmer a longer story I've been wanting to show them and held for them.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences everyone - especially to Squeaky Pram for the 228-day old timer and to LolaVelo - some R's are just ouchier than others.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Eliza. I know you were feeling your own R pain this week, with the story for Nature, so my full commiserations! If we weren't sensitive, we wouldn't be in this writing game; I need some ibuprofen or something for the bruises sometimes.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just checked my spam folder and I had a three week old rejection in it! :rolleyes:

Good thing it wasn't an acceptance. :tongue My phone doesn't sync my spam folder and I got in the habit of just glancing at it for new messages. :e2smack:

Anyway, a nice quick one. 14 days from Stupifying Stories.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Condolences everyone - especially to Squeaky Pram for the 228-day old timer and to LolaVelo - some R's are just ouchier than others.

Thanks, Eliza. The maybe-bright side is that at the same time I got my 228-day rejection, someone on dtrope (uh oh... here I go reading tea leaves again!) reported an acceptance at 238 days, while the other responses were about two thirds lower than these two. Makes me wonder if mine was being held along with the accepted story for possible pub. Possibly? Maybe? Oh, just humour me!! ;)

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Thanks, Eliza. The maybe-bright side is that at the same time I got my 228-day rejection, someone on dtrope (uh oh... here I go reading tea leaves again!) reported an acceptance at 238 days, while the other responses were about two thirds lower than these two. Makes me wonder if mine was being held along with the accepted story for possible pub. Possibly? Maybe? Oh, just humour me!! ;)

Seems completely possible. Could be that both stories were in the running and had similarities, and they could only take one. So yes, I say that is totally what happened! ;)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly? Maybe? Oh, just humour me!! ;)
Sounds unlikely ... What really happened was yours was set for publication, until the other guy or girl greased a few palms (a hundred dollar bill here and there--you know how it works) and yours got bumped. It's a brutal industry we work in.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
26-day form R from Buzzy.
Not sure where to send this one next. It's one of a couple of favorites that's had a hard time finding the right home, but I don't feel ready to try semipro markets with it yet. <sigh>

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
84-day personal R (by Dave Wolterton) from WotF, and a 12-day higher tier R from 3LBE.

MichaelP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portablemagicblog.com
66 day R from Stupefying Stories
3 day R from Plasma Frequency
9 day R from Apex

In the good news, but not a sale category, I received notice that one of my submissions on the OWW will be an Editor's Choice.