I Need a Cookie...

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
You should look into them. They really are good and for all I know, the pacing just might be a bit slow. Like I've said many times, I'm long winded. LOL! They told me that they've been back logged lately, so if you're in the querying stage, you might have a bit of a wait ahead of you.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Sonarbabe said:
And on Sunday, I'm going to work on my 2 page synopsis, because I have one more agent looking at it. If he should turn me down, I'm going straight to Harlequin. I'm too stubborn (too stupid??) to give up on this story. After that... I'm going to write the next one. Dammit, Harlequin will know how fantabulous I am one way or the other. :ROFL:

Never give up. Didn't JK Rowling receive a crazy number of rejections on Harry Potter, before she was finally signed?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
My turn to ask for a cookie. :)

I finally got off my butt and started looking for an agent. Had stuff out with 2 so far. Got my first rejection today. However, the agent did take the time to give me a positive note, saying it was well done, just not right for her.

And I really do appreciate that she took the time to let me know that. It makes the rejection so much easier to take.

So does a cookie. <G>

Susan G.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Who wants a 5 lb box :box:
of chocolate covered coffee beans?

MMHMMM
Ooops sorry, that's the wrong "box"
Josie :hi:

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
LOL. Thanks, guys. You're all great!

Well...I'm not quite sure what Josie was trying to pass off on me in that wrong box of hers. <G>

Like I said, it does help a lot to know this agent thought my stuff was well done, just that it wasn't a good fit for her. That helps make it much easier to remember that no rejection is personal. :)

Susan G.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
:Hug2: Awws! I'm so sorry, Susan. :e2cookie: You have given me many a cookie since this thread has opened--and before--so it's high time I baked you a special batch of my peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies. :) Hopefully the next agent will realize what we already know... that you're fantabulous.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Susan: I can't remember now what I meant by my chocolate covered coffee beans message.:Wha:

But I do think that agent was good to give you some positive words.
And I'm keeping my fingers crossed (when not typing) that the next agent will be even smarter and accept you as a great writer!!!
:D

Hope you're feeling better. Here's a large chocolate cookie with pumpkin icing. mmm hmmmm

Cheers, Josie :)

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
Requesting cookie

I am currently a writer who is working full time as an admissions counselor at a college. I love recruiting student to the college, helping them get ready to cross that chasm between high school and college, and seeing so many of them stop back into my office just to say hi and let me know how much they love being there.

However, as is the case with most, if not all, jobs, there is drama, there are frustrations, and I don't get paid enough for the work I do. On top of it, because of my busy schedule, my writing has slipped through the cracks, and my writing desk actually needed to be dusted!

I can't quit my job right now because I'm paying for a wedding next summer, but I'm seriously considering becoming a full time writer when my fiance and I get married. He'll be making enough to support us both, and then I'd be able to finally dedicate the time and energy I want and make a go of being a full time writer.

I welcome any and all encouragement, admonishment, advice, and my favorite cookies are chocolate chip.

Thanks!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, here's a :e2cookie: (you have to look close to see the chips, but they're there!) And, as requested, the following:

I welcome any and all:

encouragement,

It sounds like you've got a plan in mind, so that's a good start. But...

admonishment,

Let me tell you a little story. I started writing in 2001, the year my mother died. My stress level was high and I needed something to take my mind off things. At the time, I had the following schedule: Wake at five a.m., exercise with a video for 30 minutes, dress for 30 minutes. On the road by 6:00. Drive for an hour to get to within fifteen minutes of my job to meet my co-author. Spend one hour talking about book plots and our goals for writing. Back on the road by 7:00 to get to work by 7:20. Open the office (law firm), turn on all the computers and sit down to write for 30 minutes until, whew...starting time. Now, at my particular desk, I was a legal assistant for a busy real estate lawyer, vice-president of the lawyer's side business, which handled 1031 real estate exchanges for the IRS, AND a title officer for his THIRD business, which was a busy title company (so reviewing real estate searches and writing title insurance commitments and policies.) At noon, I would start to review my bi-weekly packet from the County. I was ALSO an appointed Commissioner on my county's Planning & Zoning Board. Every other Tuesday, I would take off half the day from work (which my boss allowed because...well, how many real estate attorneys have an assistant who's a P&Z Commissioner?! Major status points from his buddies.) At 5:00, I would drive home (which going THAT direction, now took two hours, instead of one.) Arrive home at around 7:00, just in time to do all the house stuff before collapsing in bed.

Rinse. Repeat each day. By the end of six months, by ONLY writing for 30 minutes per day, I had completed my first novel. Now, mind you--I do type fast, but I think you can fit in 30 minutes a day if you try... ;)

Writing should be both a release and a joy. It should be something you WANT to fit into your schedule, and are willing to nudge a few things to the side to do. Try a Saturday morning, if your regular grind won't work, or even Sunday after church (if you indulge.) Those are both good, relaxing moments when the idea muse will cooperate with you.

Okay, enough other stuff. Have another :e2cookie:

:)

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I Think I Need A Cookie

Last week I hurt my back at work getting these two NON-gentlemen their keg and have been out on workman's comp since. I can't go back unless I'm fully healed and that means being able to lift 50+ lbs. (I work in a mini-mart/package store) Then, I found out that my husand is going to be going with his submarine to Hawaii before Christmas so it'll just be me and the kids here in Washington and he won't be back until he gets out of the Navy in February... after our anniversary. And to top off my fantabulous week, the last agent who had my partial for the last 3 and a half months finally replied with a form rejection.

*Sigh* I think I need a cookie.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy quote: "Writing should be both a release and a joy. It should be something you WANT to fit into your schedule, and are willing to nudge a few things to the side to do. Try a Saturday morning, if your regular grind won't work, or even Sunday after church (if you indulge.) Those are both good, relaxing moments when the idea muse will cooperate with you.
Okay, enough other stuff. Have another :e2cookie:
:)[/quote]

Good grief. I must bake at least 3 cookie sheets of chocolate chip cookies!!!

But--all of the month of November I had this terrible cold, which ended with a back ache (never had one) and it's still with me. I can't sit, stand or lie down for too long. Call me Josie in motion.
I thought about writing and read a lot of stuff which I never finished.

My sweet father passed away in September, my 17 year old adorable cat also passed away 10 days later in September.

Hopefully, as my back is getting somewhat better I'll be able to bend over to pul the freshly baked chocolate cookies from the oven.

Yes writing was a blessing for me especially in the month of October before I got sick. It took me away from the unacceptable passing of my Dad. I went to a world I was creating . But in the past 2 weeks the back ache has held me "back" ha ha.

I wanted to submit a partial by snailmail and here I am still working on that!
Good grief.

I sympathize totally with all of you!!! ((((((((everyone)))))))

Expect a truckload of chocolate cookies this weekend:Clap:-ouch my back

:) Cheers my dears

Last edited:

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Cookies to all! I made four batches of cookies for the holidays to give to friends and family, and everyone is turning them down because of diets. Have my cookies!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I made some cookies today, here you go everyone, help yourself to some of these chocolate nut chip cookies

DSCF0001.jpg

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful photo...thank you.

When I'm an old lady I shall wear purple and eat all the
chocolate chip cookies I want.

Wait a minute...I am wearing purple!!!...bring on the
chocolate chip cookies!!!!!!!!!!

Munch Munch Munch Munch

Cheers Josie/a/k/a The Cookie Monster :e2cookie:

Last edited:

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
P.S.

I was so busy eating those lovely cookies I nearly forgot...

Today I received a rejected manuscript and a letter from the editor saying "unfortunately" though she loved the humor, ultimately the storyline is not as strong as other projects she has under consideration...and that with the tight market she is forced to pass on many excellent projects.

That was a nice rejection, eh?

I'm sending it out to more publishers after Xmas.

Josie:D keeping her chin up while chewing a chocolate cookie

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
Publication Day Jitters:

Hey all. I need a cookie. January 1 my first ebook will be published. I have been having so much fun learning the ins and out of epublishing, but other authors kept reminding me not to get too wrapped up and to try and keep at least some form of connection with reality.

To do that reality check I jumped on here and went through all the 'ebook's are crap' and 'ebook's are hard to promote and not worth your time and trouble' threads and have now taken myself from really excited about my release to dreading it. Dang.

I need a cookie.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Lila, you're going to be FINE! Have all the cookies you want. No calories. All taste. :)

Remember: the best defense against criticism is obscene success. I wish you truly obscene success. May 2007 be the start of a fabulous writing career! :Hug2:

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations LilaDubois!!! You shouldn't be worried. Be excited...about the beginning of your writing career!!!

:snoopy: Snoopy dance for you! Hoorah.

So have a few extra cookies. It's your time to celebrate.

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
Thanks Josie, I slept on it and am now cautiously optimistic.

Hi Jackie! What are you doing hanging out on here. Shouldn't you be off mixing margaritas in prep for your release party?

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Lila, enjoy the excitement! :) I understand the nerves that go with it, but...try to enjoy. :) My fingers are crossed and I'm wishing you all the best with the book!

And you can have all my cookies. I'm giving them up for New Year's. LOL. All the cookies I ate over the holidays have taken up residence around my middle...and thighs...and hips. <sigh>

Back to the treadmill and Atkins for me. From now on, when I come in here needing a cookie, someone toss me some chicken instead. LOL.

Susan G.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
LilaDubois said:
Hi Jackie! What are you doing hanging out on here. Shouldn't you be off mixing margaritas in prep for your release party?

Heh. We're doing a small party at the house on Saturday the 6th -- we're looking into mixed drinks with a devil theme. And I have this FABULOUS package that I'm waiting until Tuesday to open... ;)

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
dragonjax said:
Heh. We're doing a small party at the house on Saturday the 6th -- we're looking into mixed drinks with a devil theme. And I have this FABULOUS package that I'm waiting until Tuesday to open... ;)

Yay, release day packages!

Did someone say mixed drinks? Ohhhhhh fun!