• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing, drawing, first publication rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I like to write and I like to draw and I have tons of ideas. I like to read webcomics but I'm not 100% sure if I am prepared for this kind of a commitment. It's something to try and it wouldn't cost me anything to attempt.

However there's lots of stuff all over about publication rights and what they mean and that they're important. If I start a webcomic and abandon it and want to actually write the story instead, what rights have I used, and what do I still have? Essentially, will this bite me in the ass in the future?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how web-comic copyright works, but I would assume that if you write a novel inspired by a comic that you previously published, there shouldn't be any issues with the rights. After all, a novel is considerably different from a comic. You won't be transcribing the scenes word-for-word, right? You'll be adding descriptions, characterizations, settings, actions, etc. It'll be different enough that I doubt anyone would have a problem.

If you want to be safe, though, you should write/draw the whole thing first, before posting it online. Not only does that save you from the worry of, "What if I get halfway through and change my mind?" but it's also kinder to your followers. When I used to read fanfic, nothing was more frustrating than a novel-length fic that stopped halfway through, simply because the author got tired of it, or didn't know how to finish the story. When I wrote my own stories, I promised my readers that I would never start posting something unless I'd already finished writing the whole thing.

(Keep in mind that I am not a copyright lawyer and I know very little about web-comics and "first rights" publication rules. Someone will probably be along shortly who can offer more concrete advice.)

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Unless a third party is involved in putting out your webcomic, and you agreed to give them certain rights to the content, then sure, you can do whatever you want with your work. No one can ever just take possession of your ideas unless you give them permission first in the form of a contract. By default you own your own work.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You should be fine. If the web comic becomes popular enough, the publishers will be thrilled your story will have that built in market.

Status
Not open for further replies.