• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

X said or said X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I have a great fondness for "said X" and use it quite a bit (I don't write children's books or fairytales). Having said that, I think all of these stylistic choices should be based on whatever works best in context.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There's no rule.

Personal preferences vary widely, and the same person may prefer different things if you ask them twice.

Most people really don't care one way or the other. And they're right not to.

Use whatever sounds right to you at the time and in the place you want to use it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss. I just can't shake that.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another time this question came up, it seemed the "said X" form was more accepted by those in the UK, less so by those in the US. Not sure if that applied to the larger world or just who happened to be on the thread, though.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss. I just can't shake that.

I do not think I said, said I,
I do not think that this will fly.
The truth! The truth! It matters not,
It doesn't, says I, Angry Guy.

Now you're also going to be trying to come up with other seussisms, too! :evil

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
which do yo use?

There's no rule. But I mostly use 'X said,' because it puts the subject and verb in the right (most modern) order. However, I do occasionally reverse those if it's called for in the text. For instance, 'said the man with the iron earring' generally works better than 'the man with the iron earring said.'

ETA: I sometimes encounter 'said Bob' in fiction, but very rarely 'said he,' which, as others have pointed out, sounds archaic and like something you'd find in poetry and children's books. So if you wouldn't use 'said he,' then why use 'said Bob,' unless there's a particular need to?

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself. No, there's no right or wrong, but . . .

"Said" is supposed to be invisible, but the "said X" structure always jumps out at me, rendering "said" no longer invisible. It conjures up the old "See Jane run. See Spot chase the ball" primers from when I was a kid.

And, yes, it might be a UK thing. I submitted a short story to my publisher, a Brit, and he said (paraphrasing here), "I like it. Now change all of the 'X saids' to 'said Xs,' and we're good to go."

I refused, but he published the story anyway.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This question pops up from time to time. People seem to have passionate opinions about which way is correct, but pull some published books down from your shelves, and you'll likely see authors doing it both ways, often within the same book, even. You'll probably get more people saying they prefer "x said," when it's a proper name, same as for a pronoun, but some names, and some sentences just flow better as "said X."

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
I'd go with whatever fits best. However, it's worth mentioning that in "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" the editors mention a significant preference for "X said" as opposed to "said X". Might just be them, but hey, I guess it helps to know. (I highly recommend checking that book out out, btw. It's awesome.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Douglas Adams
'Drink up,' said Ford, 'you've got three pints to get through.'
'Three pints?" said Arthur. 'At lunchtime?'
The man next to Ford grinned and nodded happily. Ford ignored him. He said, 'Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.'
'Very deep,' said Arthur, 'you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you.'
'Drink up.'

J.K. Rowling
“It’s hot, isn’t it? said Hermione, fanning herself with her hand. “Viktor’s just gone to get some drinks.”
Ron gave her a withering look. “Viktor?” he said. “Hasn’t he asked you to call him Vicky yet?”
Hermione looked at him in surprise. “What’s up with you?” she said.
“If you don’t know,” said Ron scathingly, “I’m not going to tell you.”

Gillian Flynn
“I’m guessing—five years—she’s going to get really pissed,” Go continued. “So I hope you got her a really good present.”
“On the to-do list.”
“What’s the, like, symbol, for five years? Paper?”
“Paper is first year,” I said. At the end of Year One’s unexpectedly wrenching treasure hunt, Amy presented me with a set of posh stationery, my initials embossed at the top, the paper so creamy I expected my fingers to come away moist. In return, I’d presented my wife with a bright red dime-store paper kite, picturing the park, picnics, warm summer gusts. Neither of us liked our presents; we’d each have preferred the other’s. It was a reverse O. Henry.
“Silver?” guessed Go. “Bronze? Scrimshaw? Help me out.”
“Wood,” I said. “There’s no romantic present for wood.”

Just for reference.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Douglas Adams

J.K. Rowling

Gillian Flynn

Just for reference.

Interesting to note that the first two are UK authors and the third one is American, reinforcing my opinion that preference for one style or the other depends on what side of the pond you're on. (And naturally there will be exceptions, even within the same work.)

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Beth. Someone else's random choice is no reinforcement of anything.

Interesting to note that the first two are UK authors and the third one is American, reinforcing my opinion that preference for one style or the other depends on what side of the pond you're on. (And naturally there will be exceptions, even within the same work.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Far more interesting, I think, is that all three authors mix their use of subject-verb and verb-subject, depending on what works best for the particular passage.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Just read a book that was co-written by a US and Canadian author, and they used said [name] fairly often, but not exclusively. I'm reading a book by a British author who seems to prefer [name] said.

I think this is one of those things that people can overthink, but to be honest, I rarely notice it as a reader unless I pick up a book and search it to see how the author handles dialog tags.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Beth. Someone else's random choice is no reinforcement of anything.

It reinforces what I've already observed. In my experience, I'm far more likely to encounter 'said X' in novels by UK authors.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Just went through the chapter I'm currently editing. Slight advantage to "said X" over "X said" in my writing, but I use both as my ear dictates.

As a reader, I don't tend to notice it unless the repetition gets obvious. Like, a book I read last week had every dialogue line go like this:

"Whatever was said," NAME said.

Granted, this was not a problem with the construction of the dialogue tag really, it was a problem with the lack of variety in the sentence structure.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Sure, but how do you know if it's appropriate? It's usually best to do things like this the same way the great majority of published writers do it.

Lois McMaster Bujold does this, quite consistently:

Miles said, "Blah blah."

but,

"Blah blah," said Miles.

Do whichever sounds best at that moment, says me.

I just rooted through my own Epic, and over about 240,000 words, the said Someone construction occurs about two dozen times, mainly as a way of altering the rhythm; used as an interrupting tag, it tends to put emphasis on the fact that a certain person said Blah, like an interjection:

"Blah," said Miles, "and blah on you too!"

Status
Not open for further replies.