• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Your weak spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringauthor123

Always swimming against the current
Registered
Reaction score
Defiantly grammar. I hope to really improve on that though. And endings. I tend to have to re write them several times over to get a satisfying conclusion.

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
Editing as I write.

Instead of just getting the words down, I read and reread what I've already written so many times to make sure it sounds right, that sometimes I spend my entire writing time doing that and maybe only end up with one more complete sentence.

I get wrapped up in the editing process far too soon and too compulsively.
I do the same, and it is part of my process. I don't deny it. I'll write for 2 hours and then spend 30 minutes rewriting, refining. I'm ready then to move ahead the next day. Does conventional wisdom say that's the wrong approach? Perhaps. But it works for me. I know a thorough rewrite is coming after I complete the 1st draft (now 85% complete).

Reaction score
For me, rushing, which leads to telling instead of showing. :p

I used to hate "show don't tell" when I first started writing. It was so confusing. I also have the problem of rushing through a story. Pacing is a pain in the butt. Am I going too fast?! Too slow?!

AngelsAvengeMe

Registered
Reaction score
Editing as I write.

Instead of just getting the words down, I read and reread what I've already written so many times to make sure it sounds right, that sometimes I spend my entire writing time doing that and maybe only end up with one more complete sentence.

I get wrapped up in the editing process far too soon and too compulsively.

Yep, this is my problem too!

Status
Not open for further replies.