• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

To Brutal of an Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Ken is correct.

My wife just began watching reruns of 'The Walking Dead'. Holy crap, this is the most brutal, gory stuff I have ever seen, and this show is wildly popular.

While I agree with this, rape (especially rape as torture) is another monster entirely. It's not only gory in a physical sense, but it is mentally and emotionally horrifying, and has never and probably will never be "popular". So I don't be too quick to compare.

Either way I think—maybe?—that Ken was being sarcastic. Right?

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
While I agree with this, rape (especially rape as torture) is another monster entirely. It's not only gory in a physical sense, but it is mentally and emotionally horrifying, and has never and probably will never be "popular". So I don't be too quick to compare.

No, I completely agree with you about rape.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My wife just began watching reruns of 'The Walking Dead'. Holy crap, this is the most brutal, gory stuff I have ever seen, and this show is wildly popular.

It is, but I don't think that's why people watch it and love it. IMO the brutal, over-the-top gore is just a vehicle for compelling, well developed characters.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ken is correct.

Yeah, unfortunately, that's true. I'm not sure it counts as much when Zombies, or other monsters, are involved, though.

I find The Walking Dead incredibly boring, but a lot of people love it. It gets a total audience of fifteen to twenty million, on a good night. That's far from the majority, but it's still quite a few.

But even if every person in the country loves gore, I don't have to be part of writing it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

Somewhat so. Exaggerated, but not overly much.

And if the trend continues ...

On a personal level I have mixed feelings. At the end of the day fiction is fiction. So anything goes IMO. Anything; even if it isn't my particular cup of tea. But that's not the only perspective I have on the issue. And I do appreciate yours. Agreement is rarely possible. So we compromise, and that's usually for the best.

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. So I talked to my doctor and she needs to change my medication, and I have also been advised not to write it. Since the reasoning is personal I won't elaborate. Thanks for all the super helpful advice.

aspiringauthor123

Always swimming against the current
Registered
Reaction score
Me personally, I would read that. I'd say write it, when you're done you can decide for yourself if you want to continue with it. Get it out of your head and onto paper or you won't stop thinking about it.

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You could write it from the POV of the policeman. He thought he solved the case years ago until people start to go missing again. Sure it's been done a million times but people seem to like that.

Not sure how fun it would be to read the victim's POV though. You'd need a big jump forward in time to go from innocent victim to insane torturer and it will be hard to create an engaging story as a step by step without a time skip.

GrimMoody

Registered
Reaction score
Eh. So I talked to my doctor and she needs to change my medication, and I have also been advised not to write it. Since the reasoning is personal I won't elaborate. Thanks for all the super helpful advice.

Ah, yes, definitely don't write it in that case. A lot of people don't seem to think that stories affect people, but that's not really the case, especially for the emotionally sensitive. Don't put yourself in a place where your writing is taking you down.

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that THESE are the ideas you don't question, you just write them and see where they take you.

Status
Not open for further replies.