The Bent Nail Saloon.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Because every ferret in the west would be following whoever had one of those and nibbling on them. There'd be a whole lot of injuries...

:hi:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ferret might not like some other drunken ferret nibbling his tail off. That's all I'm sayin.

:hi:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't know our Ferret very well, do you :D

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I had a question, but didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd pop in here to ask it.

Is the Western SYW forum Boot Hill, or will there be any prompts and things coming up such as there are in other SYW genres?

Thanks in advance. :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I had a question, but didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd pop in here to ask it.

Is the Western SYW forum Boot Hill, or will there be any prompts and things coming up such as there are in other SYW genres?

Thanks in advance. :)
Fair question, pardner, but I don't have the answer.

We'll get it for you, though.

*spit*

I'ma gonna turf that puppy over to dpaterso, the forum mod who should be able to help you out.

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
*tap, tap, walks over to bar*

*stares into battery’s drink*

What are we looking fer?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thanks, Haggis. :)

Hell of a question, HH!

Western SYW isn't exactly jumping as you've noticed and I think maybe this reflects the fact that the genre is awaiting another revival. (If and when this will come is a whole topic in itself...)

Prompts are certainly do-able, though I'd be cautious about throwing out overdone cliché or weary stereotype imagery. I'm wondering if the monthly Flash Fiction prompts would do just as well for Western stories as for any other genre.

Thoughts? Show of hands for those interested in specific Western genre prompts?

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll participate in western SYW whatevers, although I do like the type of challenges we have in historical - topic (or two) for a month and you either find something in what you've written that fits the topic or write something for the topic (which doesn't too often happen). I don't think a lot of people have enough time to spend a lot of it writing something specifically for a prompt or topic.

There've even been a couple times in Western we've started "round robins" with different people contributing paragraphs, but they died out fairly quickly.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Obviously some people are interested in Western, but ... Puma

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the answer is. Obviously some people are interested in Western, but ... Puma
That's a fact, Puma. We've seen some folks come by with an interest in Western and it's gotten active for a bit, then they go away and, well, not much activity except for this saloon.

I'm not a western writer either, but we've done combined challenges with other genres and western. Those have gone over well, and from my perspective I'll tell you, it was fun to write a horror/western story.

Might some other of the History peeps be interested in that sort of thing, or western prompts themselves, do you think?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there'd be much interest from the historical group other than those who are there because Western isn't very active. Everyone's working on their own specific WIPs and those writing works that might qualify as Western aren't the ones who are the steady, everyday on the forum AWers. I'm probably the only exception since I have written a Western novel and several short stories and am on AW every day. But I'm also a pretty much old-fashioned Western person - not at all interested in bringing in space aliens, Aztec gods, or heavy romance.

I think probably the best thing to do is for someone, you Haggis or Derek or ..., to post a challenge or prompt or something in Western SYW and see how we do on getting takers. I've tried it before and wasn't terribly successful so maybe someone else can come up with a topic or idea that has more appeal. As I said, I'll participate and definitely read and comment on whatever's posted, but I can't promise I'll be gushy about everything. Puma

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Haggis. :)

Hell of a question, HH!

Western SYW isn't exactly jumping as you've noticed and I think maybe this reflects the fact that the genre is awaiting another revival. (If and when this will come is a whole topic in itself...)

Prompts are certainly do-able, though I'd be cautious about throwing out overdone cliché or weary stereotype imagery. I'm wondering if the monthly Flash Fiction prompts would do just as well for Western stories as for any other genre.

Thoughts? Show of hands for those interested in specific Western genre prompts?

-Derek

I'll participate in western SYW whatevers, although I do like the type of challenges we have in historical - topic (or two) for a month and you either find something in what you've written that fits the topic or write something for the topic (which doesn't too often happen). I don't think a lot of people have enough time to spend a lot of it writing something specifically for a prompt or topic.

There've even been a couple times in Western we've started "round robins" with different people contributing paragraphs, but they died out fairly quickly.

That's a fact, Puma. We've seen some folks come by with an interest in Western and it's gotten active for a bit, then they go away and, well, not much activity except for this saloon.

I'm not a western writer either, but we've done combined challenges with other genres and western. Those have gone over well, and from my perspective I'll tell you, it was fun to write a horror/western story.

Might some other of the History peeps be interested in that sort of thing, or western prompts themselves, do you think?

I don't think there'd be much interest from the historical group other than those who are there because Western isn't very active. Everyone's working on their own specific WIPs and those writing works that might qualify as Western aren't the ones who are the steady, everyday on the forum AWers. I'm probably the only exception since I have written a Western novel and several short stories and am on AW every day. But I'm also a pretty much old-fashioned Western person - not at all interested in bringing in space aliens, Aztec gods, or heavy romance.

I think probably the best thing to do is for someone, you Haggis or Derek or ..., to post a challenge or prompt or something in Western SYW and see how we do on getting takers. I've tried it before and wasn't terribly successful so maybe someone else can come up with a topic or idea that has more appeal. As I said, I'll participate and definitely read and comment on whatever's posted, but I can't promise I'll be gushy about everything. Puma

i feel dizzy.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*imperceptible nod*

yep.

*spit*

and i'm glad to you've taken to the custom of spitting when you're supposed to.

*spit*

*adjust ginormous belt buckle*

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Hoccck-putt-ding

*Drinks moonshine

*Covers moonshine tremors with a couple of outlandish square-dance moves

*Adjusts the chaps of the chaps next to him

Maybe I shoulda started a separate thread, Pilgrims. But, whilst I'm here ...

A regular western prompt - even if no-one participated - would drawn attention to the SYW forum which does tend to languish on account of its alphabetical tardiness. Prompts don't have to be long 'uns, neither. You could but set a low word count to shimmy under or, as a previous cowboy suggested, link it to the flash challenge.

I'm not a Western writer, but I do think that writing in all genres is helpful, instructive and fun. So, count me in to give it a whirl if anything is needs whirling.

*Wonders if them beans was cooked right

*Skedaddles for outhouse

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weird. I hear cray's voice but it' coming from that sparkling pink bear.

*unholsters his gun and thumbs back the hammer*

I hates sparkly pink bears.

You know if you shoot the sparkly bear I'll buy you a drink