dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I get a 404 not found error on that simplyscripts page, which then reroutes to somewhere else on the site.

I'm all for posting links to articles that members might find helpful, but these posts are giving off a spammy vibe.

-Derek

tcawood

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derek - thanks for that, I think the link got truncated somehow... I've edited the original post and just checked it... seems okay now.

All four of the articles are on my site too...

Sorry for any whiff of spam, not intentional... I've nothing to sell :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thanks for correcting, and also for checking back, a little human response goes a long way to dispelling suspicion of spam!

-Derek

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Most legit producers are not advertising for screenwriters.

They use their network to find capable scribes.

Any screenwriter answering an ad on Craig's List, for example, will probably end up with trouble and frustration, IMO.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't investigate. And it doesn't mean you cannot find a writing gig through ads. But if a producer isn't going through the agencies and his Rolodex to find writers, it probably means he has little experience and connections - which isn't going to bode well for you.

I feel certain in saying that those kinds of ads will result in little or no pay, and, most likely, no produced film. If a film is produced, it will get little to no distribution, no one in the business-at-large will care, and it won't move the needle on your career even a notch.

The best way to getting a respectable and worthwhile writing job is to find a manager who believes in your talent and serves as a conduit to real connections within the industry.

If you've failed to get a manager, your scripts probably aren't ready.

:)

Last edited:

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
@ Derek - no problem.
@ Creativexec - I agree re Craigslist and say as much in the article, the other sources of Ads, well maybe not experienced Producers but newer ones, low budget etc... sites like SSU have a decent track record http://www.screenwritingstaffing.com/success-stories-.html
even Producers start with a first film ;-)

I think it depends on one's goals.

I would NEVER recommend that new writers subscribe to a paid service that provides "leads" to screenwriting jobs. Looking over the success stories of the site you linked, I'm even more convinced it's a waste. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind would read those "success" stories and want to pay $96 a year.